Home Technical Talk

Anyone know what's wrong with my mapping?

I'm new to mapping so excuse me if I've missed something obvious. I've made the letter N and, for the top surface, I want to change its colour and add graphics. To do this I've selected the polygons on that top surface (the ones I want to change colour) and applied an Unwrap UVW to them. I've then made a black and white mask in PS so as to mask out a composite material in Max.

The problem is in one corner of the N it has masked out another little N. I've no idea why. I'm sure one of you could explain this?

Update: I seem to have solved the problem by applying an Unwrap UVW to the whole object and then breaking off the top surface polygons in the Edit UVWs window and taking that into photoshop. Is selecting the polygons first then applying an Unwrap UVW mod. an incorrect method to work on a specific area?

4592255025_d7b6e5e7ae_o.jpg

4592255143_4bcae73093_o.jpg

4592909206_b47d7bd2d6_o.jpg

4592873616_50d5f2bb0e_o.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like you need to check your UV layout. The outer edges probably have some crazy UV's.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks Vig. How do you check your UVs? I literally selected the polygon representing the top panel of the N and applied an Unwrap UV. It was a single polygon (see attached).

I only wanted to apply a map to part of the object so .. Is it ok to select only the polygons I want to map before unwrapping or should the modifier be applied to the whole object and then only render out a template for the polys I want?

4593306688_56dee618e5_m.jpg