Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Animator- The Right Track? Anim progress log

Fellow animators, I'm looking for your help here on conformation that I'm going down the right track to becoming, hopefully, a sucsessful animator.
I've been researching animation for about 4 weeks now and I've really got involved with the very essence of animation. I've took the time to read most of Richard Williams Animators survival kit, look up plenty of refrence on youtube and even buy a character animation fundementals dvd from the gnomon workshop which is great.

I've recently took a step back after I went overboard with letting the computer do everything for me and I've learned more about blocking in animation with stepped tangents which is extremley fun and adventageous.

I can only show a couple of first tests I did which are pictures to do with posing and mood with the Moom Rig for Maya.

I will use this thread as a place for animation progress and updates.
I know this posing and mood picture isn't the best but it starts it off.

1gm4nd.png

Thanks.

Replies

• Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Great to hear!!

I feel like I'm in a similar boat; after rushing in with a somewhat cocky attitude, I have stepped back, humbled myself, and am trying to really steep myself in the essence of animation. I've been reading through the entire Richard Williams book as well, and if that book won't put you in the right mindset, I don't know what will.

Sounds like you're in a good spot to really work your way up. I wish you great luck on this adventure into the world of animation! :P

Those little poses are looking good so far. Can't wait to see the guy up and moving!! Good luck with all this!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Mezz! : )
    Great to recieve a reply like that. Very heartening.
    Indeed, Rich Williamns work is just awesome.
    Good luck to you too : D

Edit :
    I've found a great use for Windows 7 Sticky Notes!
    Animation To Do List
    Videos and research-Active

Bouncing Ball-Curve Editor-Practicing-Not Completed but understand fundementals

Walk Cycle- Started with Animation Fundementals DvD

Pose Practice-Studying AndPracticing-
    emotion and poses with Moom.

Practice weighting -

Lip Sync-

To Do List

Ball, Walk, Poses study, Simple weight, understand curve editor more.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_VwTH7Nfuo[/ame]

Here is a walk cycle I have started using the blocking technique. I'm following the Animation Fundementals DVD set but I hate how he skips over stuff sometimes leaving me to figure it out when it's not really clear.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Not much to crit yet. Nice up and down, but remember to also twist the waist. A tiny bit of side to side wouldn't hurt either.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much to crit yet. Nice up and down, but remember to also twist the waist. A tiny bit of side to side wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks for the crits. That's all that has been covered by the person doing the tutorial so far and I'm sure he will cover it. If not, I'll definitley add your points in. And yeah, this is the very starting block so there is not much to crit :)
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    hey Taylor, gnomon dvds are a good start, get them. Beside check out http://animationclinic.com/cart/ for sure
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude wrote: »
    hey Taylor, gnomon dvds are a good start, get them. Beside check out http://animationclinic.com/cart/ for sure

:) I have one, I've mentioned it several times. There is one called Character Animation Fundementals.
    That page is awesome. Thanks.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, is there any site I can find a bunch of video files for animation refrence that come with numbered frames? That'd be awesome to have because I could clearly see where to put the main poses in line with the video and so on.
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To get the frames for any reference, just open them up in quicktime, (and then click on the button by the time and change it to frames).

Alternatively (and if you cant open them in quicktime) open the video in a program like Sony Vegas or some otehr video editing software, and again you will be able to scrub through frame by frame and see the frame count.

I would also advise trying to get a hold of Edward Muybridge's books for references, go google him and you'll see why.
  • ArtOfBrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its getting there..im keepin an eye out on this thread...

Just remember to not be scared to have keys everywhere!! its ok....

So get that timing right and poses looking nice before u go crazy with in betweens...
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies, James and Brad.
    James, are you the guy with the awesome demo reel with arthas vs dwarf? Love your stuff.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'll be posting the updated walk cycle after my second last exam which is tommorow and the next is in June(almost finished HighSchool!)

Just wanted to post a picture of my desktop and my new fav wallpaper which may inspire others as it has greatly insipired me.
    22gp3.png
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just done this as more posing practice while I finish up my walk cycle! : )25tjfjd.png
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol I don't know why that makes me laugh.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is basically my first walk cycle in Maya as I have used the normal spline tangents technique and applied what I learned from the first part of the gnomon workshop dvd where the guy blocks a walk in.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y1kcch1wsg[/ame]

Feel free to crit away, that's why I'm posting these.
    My first real walk cycle remember. I know there is not much weight and there is probably 100 technical problems but I'm here to improve.
  • Shiver136
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice robotic feel to it, keep it up!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surely his body would be a lot more forward then his legs, especially considering he would be slouching if he is in a depressed state.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Blenderhead, I'll try and fix that up.
    Do you think it's a decent first try?
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I think it's a decent first try :)

I think the part that sticks out at me most that needs improvement is what you lead with. Similar to what Blenderhead was saying, since he's depressed, he would probably move a bit differently. What I see is his hands leading--as in, they're the first part of the action leading. If he was sad, I think it would more likely be his head, maybe even his shoulders, leading the action.

On that note, since you're trying to evoke an emotion, something else to think about is the up-and-down movement of his steps. I would imagine he would have a lower 'down' position, and not a very high 'up' position.

A lot of these things can be figured out by standing up and walking this out for yourself.
    Having gotten up and trying to do a depressed walk just now, I found I was naturally inclined to lead with my feet, actaully. Also interestingly, my arms barely moved from my side. But, this is just how I acted it out--there's no wrong or right, just what feels good for your acting style.

Hope this is useful, I'm no pro at this myself, this is all stuff I'm trying to figure out too! Keep going with some walk cycles. Once you get the formula down, they can be a lot of fun!
  • bejkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon polygon
    Good job.

You can check out "power center". If he's sad it is usully in front of him pulling him down, if his curious it could be in front of him at his nose, proud, strong it's in the chest and so on. He do look sad so I think you succeeded.

Bend the torso in z more it's a bit rigid and he got a bit to much sway imo. It should bend oppose to the hips. Also you can try tilting his hips backwards to give him more balance.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank's for the amazing crits guys. I'll make sure to add them all in.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    the hands are swaying way too much right now for how little the arms are moving back and forth
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ElCbotKtMw[/ame]
    I found a neat little game rig. I was playing with the controls in Maya and then I decided to animate a walk cycle with no video tutorial, just with what I had learned so far with my two previous attempts. An improvment from my Sad Robot attempt, perhaphs?
    :)
    peace
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Theres no overlapping action. And you should lock the legs for two frames at the front position.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Theres no overlapping action. And you should lock the legs for two frames at the front position.
    There is in the spear-holding hand. I tried to make it minimal so it would look less "Animated"
    thanks : ) Lock the legs so that more time is spent on them? Do you mean the legs at contact or the passing position?
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8

What he said.

I like the movement you've given him, but right now it looks like everything is moving exactly together. You need to chose a part to lead with (hips usually works best). After that, everything moves and flows from there.
    This is for everything overall, but also more focused. Like in the arms--as he brings his arm forward, his spear should stay back. Once the spear has come forward, take your time dragging it slowly back after the arm. This kinda stuff adds interest :)

Good job though!!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz wrote: »
    What he said.

I like the movement you've given him, but right now it looks like everything is moving exactly together. You need to chose a part to lead with (hips usually works best). After that, everything moves and flows from there.
    This is for everything overall, but also more focused. Like in the arms--as he brings his arm forward, his spear should stay back. Once the spear has come forward, take your time dragging it slowly back after the arm. This kinda stuff adds interest :)

Good job though!!
    Thanks. I have gone and made the spear less extreme, rotated the spine forward and that looks like it is now the force of the movment and I've rotated the head upwards so he is more menacing aswell.
    I'll upload to youtube
    I'll add weight later on as I'm still getting to grips with the curves.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNjz_0dAyk8[/ame]
    Please compare the two.
    I realise know never to make my actions so extreme :)
  • NiklasT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NiklasT polycounter lvl 7
    I can see one problem on the latest: The spear intersects the ground. But it looks better generally!
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NiklasT wrote: »
    I can see one problem on the latest: The spear intersects the ground. But it looks better generally!
    Indeed! I'll fix that once I get more awesome crits : ) thanks
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    its a good start. I would definitely say that just hitting the spline button doesnt mean its done. you gotta go in there and change some curves by hand, offset some things. that sorda thing.

im very curious where you found that rig though. got a link?
  • DrAdamDinosaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrAdamDinosaur polycounter lvl 18
    I think you need to put a little bit of overlap on your forearms. Making them overlap a little with the upper arms will help the arms feel more fluid. Also, you've added some overlap to the lowest point of the spear(where it goes through the ground) but you still need a little at the highest point. You may also want to try making your spear arm travel a little slower on the way back. It's not spending very much time in front of the character. Just a little more time will help the spear flow a little better. Hope that makes sense.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    its a good start. I would definitely say that just hitting the spline button doesnt mean its done. you gotta go in there and change some curves by hand, offset some things. that sorda thing.

im very curious where you found that rig though. got a link?
    Sure man, I completley understand. I actually modelled out the animation in Spline mode and not Stepped mode because I don't fully understand how to take stepped pose animation method into smooth spline animation (One of the problems I'm having with my cartoon rig, the one with the red shirt and blue jeans where he walks in stepped mode)
    The person that I'm following on the GnomonWorkshop tutorial dvd uses Stepped tangents and I agree that this is the better method but I have yet seen how he makes it from stepped to spline for the walk cycle.

I just decided to try it in spline and it came out not too bad. My main problem right now is I don't fully understand how to make changes to a bunch of curves to give weight to a characters limbs and such. :)

The rig I found is a cool rig from http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/character-rigs/c/?per_page=100 'Tribal Warrior 1.1.0'
    I usually use "pixar" like rigs because I am actually focussing on film but I thot that this rig was easy to use so I just went ahead with it.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "The rhythm and timing of animation is like a good musical score- it builds to crescendos amd drops to a quiet- Our action must have variety and vitality in timing lest it becomes monotonous and irritating. Action, like emotion, needs change to keep the viewers interest. It has to be alive " - Eric Larson

Put that on a sticky note for inspiration :)

I'll be updating soon
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.animationmentor.com/webinar/
    Look at the ball, it has a red line going through it with green lines for spacing.
    Can anyone tell me exactly how to get that to display (I think it is related to Maya as it's used in the webinar)

It's similar to motion trails in Maya but that one looks alot more simple. Also, using that would allow me to understand the effect off moving around the curves. Is it some sort of plugin?
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Can't help you with anything Maya related, sorry, man. I was trained in 3DSMax myself.

However, I will say that if you're still having this much trouble figuring out how to work with curves and other areas of animating in Maya, you should spend more time doing simple anims while you better understand the program, IMO. When I was first learning Max, I was animating ball bounces and pendulums swinigng back and forth.
    It's important to get the technical parts of the program down, because if you're struggling with that WHILE trying to make a kick-ass anim, you're just being distracted by too many things at once. It is the same back when everyone used to just draw animations--you couldn't(shouldn't) be an animator until drawing wasn't a problem whatsoever.

As for your animation, I like the improvements to the arm swing, but I can't really continue to crit until you fix it so it's not going through the floor. :P
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ey man :D

heh, yeah just tear the whole animations menu appart.

The main body is hiding behind that thing, and maybe thats even why your focus is more on limbs, but it looks like the torso/spine/pelvic is quite static/firm.

But it is hard to see, i need to push a damn button every 3 seconds and get distracted. Longer videos would help a lot, atleast double, or rather triple it.

// another thing that i cant really tell from the video, does he place his feet on a more straight line, or are they just going forward?

to help you fix things
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os_GxgMqZoc[/ame]
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments : )

I've made some changes and will be updating soon.
    Mezz- I often go back to the bouncing ball test. I understand how curves on a ball work because it's simple but when animation arms and such the curves then look like a bunch of random squiggles and I don't see how they relate. That's made me want to re-look at what I'm doing because I keep telling my self "Don't get ahead of yourself!" and I think I have... Maybe I should go back to simple things? I should get a ball with two legs or something and not a guy with a tribal mask and spear ;)

Rens - Hell yeah man :D best band ever. Thanks dude.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making good progress!

Aside from the spear clipping into the ground I think it has a little too much action for a held object. People tend to steady objects they hold so his spear hand isn't going to move like his other, free hand will. It also takes a bit more of their concentration, which with small simple objects is pretty low almost unconscious like a pencil or a small rock. But not so with bigger more unwieldy items. A spear isn't as extreme as something like a boiling tea cup full of acid but he would steady it a bit.

Also I don't know if you have some web space somewhere like a dropbox, but .mov files with a frame counter are great for these sort of animations. It makes scrubbing and critiquing much much easier.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your foot needs to plant itself on the second 'locked front leg' frame, it looks like he is walking on the balls of his feet atm. Nice action on the spear. He would probably carry it from its centre though...that would address the intersecting as well.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Making good progress!

Aside from the spear clipping into the ground I think it has a little too much action for a held object. People tend to steady objects they hold so his spear hand isn't going to move like his other, free hand will. It also takes a bit more of their concentration, which with small simple objects is pretty low almost unconscious like a pencil or a small rock. But not so with bigger more unwieldy items. A spear isn't as extreme as something like a boiling tea cup full of acid but he would steady it a bit.

Also I don't know if you have some web space somewhere like a dropbox, but .mov files with a frame counter are great for these sort of animations. It makes scrubbing and critiquing much much easier.
    Thanks Vig! I'll set up one up soon I guess : )
    And yeah, I plan to make all the things that you guys noticed about my stuff.
    Thanks again.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXP3rNjNIg0[/ame]
    The latest version. I've actually been talking to Brad Marques aka ArtofBrad on Polycount (great guy) and he's telling me alot of the stuff. He told me to make the spear like this and apparently it's much better.
    What do you guys think? :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    i like the new pose! biggest thing right now is you have to slam his feet down alot sooner when they hit the ground. i usually do 3 frames after the heel hits, the foot is flat. 2 frames for running.
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey just popping in to say don't get scared and go back to basics, you will ofc make more mistakes with complex animation, but you should absolutely push yourself with difficult human animation. (Not saying it isn't useful to go and do basic tests sometimes but generally always make animation you find difficult and stressful).
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the ebook by Richard Williams again after loosing it and I've revisted the walking section to find that I was missing out quite an important part of the walk proccess.

Contact > Down> Passing > Up > Contact
    Whereas I had
    Contact on 1 > Passing on 6> contact on 12> passing on 17 > contact on 24
    for two steps on a 24 frame cycle.

Interestingly, I haven't noticed this Proffesional Animator from the Gnomon Workshop DVD do a down and up position.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone please link a good tutorial for Walk Cycles that they may have learned from themselves?

I'm having a hard time with what method to use.
    The tribal walk used Contact on 1 > Passing on 6> contact on 12> passing on 17 > contact on 24

but if you read my above post you'll see that Richard Williams book says you need Contact, Down, Passing, UP, Contact.

I've been trying to follow the Gnomon Workshop DVD but it's to complicated as he just skips out all the poses he made while he wasn't recording and goes over them in like 5 seconds so it's really hard to understand.

I'm really stuck right now on how to do a REAL walk.

Edit : I done my tribal walk with Spline tangents.
    Richard Williams examples a walk on 13 frames

Frame 1 on contact
    Frame 4 Down position
    Frame 7 Passing Pos
    Frame 10 up pos
    13 Contact

I tried doing this but it looked horrible.

I R CONFUSE. ;)
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I read Richard William's book recently myself, and if I recall correctly, he put the most importance on the contact and the passing position. Those are the two most vital poses. The ones after that are put in to add interest, life, and change the personality.

So, establish how the contact positions will look. Then make the passing position. Fit the down and and up positions in after that.

There REALLY is no right way to do these things, just suggestions and guidelines.

I think the way I first learned how to do a walk cycle was:
    Contact position frame 1
    Down position frame 4
    Passing position frame 8
    Up position frame 12
    Back to the contact position frame 16

This is a slower walk, but should be a good base. IMO, for learning to do a walk cycle, you should try doing a very basic walk--nothing too exciting YET. Just stick with the very basic guidelines for each position of a walk. Once you understand that, changing it up to your style is fun and eas(ier).

I'm not writing all this to say I think you've done a bad job. Your walk cycle is looking pretty good. But since you apparently have confused yourself, I'm just trying to lay it out as simply as I was taught.
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I was first learning walk cyles and stuff, I just went strait to the source.

My favourite games of all time are by valve, so I just opened up their animation cycles and looked frame by frame from every angle how they constructed them.

I think (if you wanna make games) decompiling and opening up great game animation in your 3d tool of choice is a good way.

If you want to see team fortress, half life etc walk cycles let me know and I can give you the relevant files/information.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz wrote: »
    I read Richard William's book recently myself, and if I recall correctly, he put the most importance on the contact and the passing position. Those are the two most vital poses. The ones after that are put in to add interest, life, and change the personality.

So, establish how the contact positions will look. Then make the passing position. Fit the down and and up positions in after that.

There REALLY is no right way to do these things, just suggestions and guidelines.

I think the way I first learned how to do a walk cycle was:
    Contact position frame 1
    Down position frame 4
    Passing position frame 8
    Up position frame 12
    Back to the contact position frame 16

This is a slower walk, but should be a good base. IMO, for learning to do a walk cycle, you should try doing a very basic walk--nothing too exciting YET. Just stick with the very basic guidelines for each position of a walk. Once you understand that, changing it up to your style is fun and eas(ier).

I'm not writing all this to say I think you've done a bad job. Your walk cycle is looking pretty good. But since you apparently have confused yourself, I'm just trying to lay it out as simply as I was taught.
    I think I have the nescassery contact and passing positions on the Tribal walk but it obviously seems floaty. Does adding the down and up positions add the weight? Also, would you do such a walk cycle on Stepped tangents or splined? I tried to do something similar but it came out after using "Plateau" tangents that it was really poppy and transitioning from thing to the other like Contact > Down> Passing > Up looked really weird.

@ James -I'm actually looking to get in to Film as Pixar is my ultimate inspiration but I'm obviously a gamer and I enjoy a hell of a lot of TF2 =] So I can imagine what kind of info you get from viewing such source files. I assume you're using Max aswell?
  • DoctorRobinson
    While it can be expensive, 3D total's magazine is currently in the middle of an animation and rigging tutorial. I believe it's gone on for the last 3 issues, but I've found some really useful information in there.

I can't share the files since that would be infringing some digital citizenship somewhere, but if you're interested you should check out their website and download the free version, it might be in there.

As far as your walk cycle goes, it's looking pretty good, much improved since the first one.

Is your spear parented to your hand, or your hand parented to the spear?