first Bake ever

My first bake ever. Bake is done in Xnormal model was done in 3Dmax 2010

Polycount is 623

knife..jpg

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not bad for a first attempt. A couple things jump out though. There seem to be a lot of hard edges on the low poly that are not affected by the normal map. Nothing in real life is a perfect sharp corner, so maybe bevel those edges on your low poly, or rebake the normal map to fix it.

Also, in the area towards the bottom of the handle, it looks like your low poly's profile did not match the profile of your high poly, as you can see where the normal map lays on the geometry. I would sacrifice a few more tris to smooth out that area and get the profiles to line up a bit better.

Keep up the good work!
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 11
    For an Uzi Defender knife the blade seems too wide and the grips too thin.

The gripping teeth you have as triangles, but because of the sharp angles between the smoothing the normals will not bake correctly onto them.

On your high poly loosen the edge tightness as well this will help convey smoothness onto the low polygon via normal mapping. You can see on the pommel of the knife appears to be a very slight bevel, but it's way too small. We want to maginify this curvature to fully use the normal mapping.

I have also modeled and baked this same type of knife, so if you would like to see how I did it, just ask, and I can send you the files.
  • mackan4766
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update made the bake a bit better added more polys and made the blad abit thiner knife_new.jpg