Home Technical Talk

Maya Rendering - Invisible occluding object

acc
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
acc polycounter lvl 18
I have a little challenge I'm trying to work around in Maya. Unfortunately I don't know the correct term for this situation so I'm going to have to explain it. Luckily, it's simple:

I have two objects.
One of them is in front and occludes the one behind it.
I want to render only the visible portions of the rear object.
So I want the frontal object to be invisible, but still block visibility to the one behind.

I can only use the vector renderer (SWF format).
I cannot do post comp work in photoshop/after effects/whatever (SWF format).

Is this possible? Is there a nice little check box somewhere to do this? Or a material type that works with the vector renderer? Is there even a specific term for this that I can search for elsewhere?

Replies

• acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, I probably can use After Effects. Yay for Adobe and cross-program support. Maybe there's a solution there, although I'd still prefer to just have clean renders to begin with.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    Is this what you mean?

black_hole_matte.png

Just change the matte to black hole and it wont be visible in render and alpha
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Well, that would be exactly what I'm looking for...

...buuuuuuuut it doesn't work with the vector renderer. Just turns it black and renders normally.

:(

Google turns up only one previous discussion of this in which they seem to have just gave up. Thanks so far, though, at least I had something to search for.

Would it theoretically be possible to pay someone to do a MEL script for this? I'm not really familiar with how far MEL can go and what it can access.
  • elte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elte polycounter lvl 18
    vector renderer was quite outdated to be honest.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    No argument there; using it is roadblocks at every turn. But when you need vectors... not much choice. Ugh, I'm going to have to go frame by frame and delete the object manually.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    So why not apply the background material to the foreground object?
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    When importing the vectors (to flash, in this case) there is no background so I'd then have a background coloured object sitting there. I need that object to not be there at all.

Basically I'm trying to make a pre-rendered 3D character that can have various accessories (helms, boots, jewelry, weapons, etc) that still fit into the 3D animations properly even though they've been turned into 2D vectors.