Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Electroblaster PR1 rifle - Need c&c on concept art, and help with edge flow

Yo. Ok, so here's a concept art I made for a mandatory task at school a while back. Its a futuristic sniper rifle that uses guided bullets, and fires the bullets with an electric charge. Just wondering what you guys think:
electroblasterpr1.jpg
electroblasterpr1sketch.jpg

Right now I've been working on a base mesh for the stock. But I have to admit that getting the edge flow right without pinching or other distortions is a pain in the a$$. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

gammelmesh.jpg
nymesh.jpg
turbomesh.jpg

wipp.jpg

Replies

• Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I'm concerned your concept does not have enough detail in it. Wish I could help you more with the edge flow, my only real suggestion is to make sure you have enough support loops. I also notice your working in Max, and I'm more of a Maya user. Are your mirrored meshes merged when your smoothing them? In Maya not being merged can cause problems.
  • Strausser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I planed to add more details to the model. If my mesh is merged? My smoothing modifier is above the symmetry, so technically its "merged". It would cause problems if I had smoothing below symmetry tho...
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Yea see what you just said? Max vs Maya right there lol. I think.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could probably get rid of the pinching by adding some extra support loops, but you would probably get the best results by adding in more geometry overall.

Not sure if you're still looking for crits on the concept, but I automatically thought of a .50 Cal or Halo sniper rifle when I saw it. Both awesome guns, but it might help to differentiate your concept a little. Also, the laser sight on the barrel seems a bit out of place.
  • Strausser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sXe Seany wrote: »
    You could probably get rid of the pinching by adding some extra support loops,
    The problem is, by adding more loops, makes it harder to get it more smooth and round where its needed :\
    Not sure if you're still looking for crits on the concept, but I automatically thought of a .50 Cal or Halo sniper rifle when I saw it. Both awesome guns, but it might help to differentiate your concept a little. Also, the laser sight on the barrel seems a bit out of place.
    Hehe yeah, I used those as inspiration. And i have to agree with laser being a bit out of place. Just need to come up with something else. I have to admit that the creative part of my brain, is not the sparkliest lol
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say at the moment that you need to temporarily stop modeling and look at some serious design problems.

I did a quick design study to see if you can get any ideas.

electroblasterpr1.jpg

Right now your gun looks very bland for a gun that can do a lot of shit. Try different shapes and see what you can get. Exaggerate some shapes and sizes to see what you can come up with too.

Also, think functionality. Your gun is powered by electricity. Why does it need an ejection port? How do you re load the empty batteries or is it plugged into a battery pack on the snipers back?

Also, the scope was bothering me, it looked very normal for a far from normal gun.

Then your butt stock was reallllly long. Look at refs of other sniper rifles to see the proportions to really gauge where it should be. Definitely look at a lot of reference. Especially since the ejection port was in a really weird place in consideration to the ammo clip.

I added some cheap detail... Little screws, little lined to show that this gun wasn't assembled all in 1 piece, etc. I made the ammo clip look a little longer. I would probably go back and try and design a cooler clip since you have some bad ass shells that will be firing out of it. It gives a player a sense of "why the hell is this so different? what's so special about it?" and makes them think that it isn't your typical kind of gun.

I forgot to add a cool muzzle tip :P

Other than that, you can use the drawing I did for whatever you want.
  • Strausser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks a lot man! Sure brought up stuff that never crossed my mind lol. Yours look more badass witch I envisioned mine to be, but didn't achieve. But I think it looks a bit too futuristic IMO. Well, at least compared to what I was envisioning. But yours sure look better.

And, its not an ejection port. Its just a bolt to load bullets in to the chamber from the magazine (witch doesn't use casings) . And the whole stock is a battery witch last long enough, so you dont really need to change it. And to recharge it - just remove the shoulder pad and connect it to a docking station.

Anyhow, back to the drawing board :)
  • Godemper0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strausser wrote: »
    The problem is, by adding more loops, makes it harder to get it more smooth and round where its needed :l
    If you are using max there are very easy ways to get around that. Either make it with more geometry to begin with; or you can do what i do; if you are trying to maintain a curve using more geo make a spline in the axis that you want it to be maintained. Most of the time I use the n-gon to make sure the verts will match up. Then you can turn on snap, and move all of the verts on that line onto the spline vert. if you do this for each it'll be a perfect curve. You can also do it to create perfect holes onto a mesh. I can post an example if you dont understand it all. I agree that you should really work on the design of the rifle; guns are rarely simply designed, and especially not something that introduces more technology.
  • Strausser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godemper0r wrote: »
    If you are using max there are very easy ways to get around that. Either make it with more geometry to begin with; or you can do what i do; if you are trying to maintain a curve using more geo make a spline in the axis that you want it to be maintained. Most of the time I use the n-gon to make sure the verts will match up. Then you can turn on snap, and move all of the verts on that line onto the spline vert. if you do this for each it'll be a perfect curve. You can also do it to create perfect holes onto a mesh. I can post an example if you dont understand it all. I agree that you should really work on the design of the rifle; guns are rarely simply designed, and especially not something that introduces more technology.

I'm familiar with the method, but I've never used it for subd modeling. Sounds like a clever trick! thanks :) And yeah, Im gonna redesign the weapon... If I only had more time!! :poly122:
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Pfft! You have tons of time you MMO playing liar! and I honestly think you should just go with Titus S' design and make adjustments during the modeling process based upon what looks more appealing/logical.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Pfft! You have tons of time you MMO playing liar! and I honestly think you should just go with Titus S' design and make adjustments during the modeling process based upon what looks more appealing/logical.

haha pwnd

nah id redo the concept yourself using titus's as a close reference/inspiration, will help you learn the shapes and ideas more and produce something slightly more your-own
  • Strausser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Says the guy who sleeps all day, and never comes to school :thumbup:
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    will help you learn the shapes and ideas more and produce something slightly more your-own
    exactly!