Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another Reventon model (my first shot real attempt at a car)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Mjolnir_Zero polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys, been a member for quite a few months now but have very little posting going on, this should change very much so now that I've got time to work on my own projects =D I'm gearing up to expand my portfolio and looking to try and get into the industry one way or another so I've got to bump up my quality bar a bit. Please comment and critique on my projects, I would greatly appreciate all the feedback and tips I can get.

So first up on my projects list is the Lamborghini Reventon, definitely my favorite car for the last few months so I decided I would try and model it. I'd like to do the interior as well later so that I can use this in a demo reel later on and be able to open the car door... that will be much later though. For now I'm just focusing on finishing the exterior. So this is very much wip still... have many small spots that need to be finished up and a few that need reworking.

4588621427_ab5ce1a814_b.jpg

And one for the back (very much wip)

4588621501_3312b52831_b.jpg

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I'd say a good start! Any crit at this point is hard because you didnt ask for it, instead you have stated that you are going to tweek the model up and that it is not finished yet.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Well for a first attempt at modeling a car its looking real solid right now. That car has a complex and interesting shape to it. Could you post some wires of the car?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice so far, that edge above the rear left tire looks a little sharp/odd...
    yeah thats all I got.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Thats amazing. Could you do a close up wireframe on where the car pieces meet? Id like to see how you did that because it looks perfect.
  • spahr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    reventonreview.jpg

Ive worked a bit on this car in the past, and one thing you really have to take into consideration is the shapes of the edges on this car. one hard edge will flow from the rear of the car, to the front. Its very edgy.

Another thing to note is (from the images ive seen) your rims are backwards. As well, the front and the rear wheels are a bit different, you should really look at some reference, if you notice the rear ones center cap is pushed in more, real subtle stuff.

And one last thing that tricked me when i was working on this car, that the skirts on the left and right side of the car are completely different. Of course i dont know if you caught that or not, you only have 1 side showing, but be weary.

Yeah overall its just a few edges here and there that need to be brought in, or tighten up your hard edges. Looks great man.

And try to look at games like GT5 and forza to see how they render their in game cars. But i do appreciate that you have its default brownish matte material in your renders :)

keep it up man!
  • Mjolnir_Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mjolnir_Zero polycounter lvl 14
    lol wow spahr. pretty nitty gritty analysis of my car but I love it! xD that's exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for. yeah I've noticed around half the things that you pointed out but you did catch a few I haven't noticed yet. The problem I'm having is after getting to the back of the car (which I've currently been working on) I have many reference shots that I've been looking at and I have been seeing all these discrepancies in the edges. The problem is that I've been using a 'blueprint' (not a real one) from that blueprints.com site or whatever it is and its not a very faithful recreation of the reventon, there are many errors on it, some that I caught much earlier on but have started to see more and more as I work on this thing. It does have a 'final' look to it due to my working with the materials and using MR for my render but there is TONS of stuff to do as you have seen.... and then there's the interior *faint* lol.

And yes Ajr, I really thought I should've posted some wire frames, and probably not make it such a dark lighting setup (seems to hide too much of the modeling work) one wireframe coming right up :) (its pretty messy in some spots right now as I'm still trying to figure out edge flow and quads (not a subd master by any means) any comments and critiques about that too are GREATLY welcome! If I already know about the error that you point out I don't care, so long as you're trying to catch something I don't know.

4589888373_45687d2d6b_b.jpg

4590508548_e48e73b778_b.jpg

4590508578_1199ffe4e6_b.jpg

4590508606_b6936b9694_b.jpg

Anyway, I'll probably do the interior sometime much further on so I am able to move onto other projects (like making my halo style power armor that I've been concepting, will post it up later when its ready) I would really like to get a job at the local Timegate Studio and this won't help me much with that but its ok, this is for other jobs I may apply for. (any helpful comments on projects I should undertake for getting the Timegate spot are welcome as well, will probably be trying for an environment artist position... maybe vehicle as well)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I just tried my hand at a reventon model and realized how tricky some of these shapes can be. Did you start from the hood or what?
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    That car is off the hook! Reminds me of a suped up knight rider.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I wonder what the radar cross section of that car actually is. I know Lambo wanted it to look stealth, but I'm curious how much of the 'looking' stealth actually ended up working.