Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Steve Olszewski / 3D Modeling

Hey all, new to these forums, found them via the Big Huge Games' website and figured I would get started. I am a recent graduate from the University of Dayton with a BFA in Visual Communication Design. The work I've seen so far on this site is incredible and I aspire to reach the level many of you have already. I currently don't have my own website to show my work, but I've uploaded my demo reel here http://olszewsm.blip.tv . My current goal is to land a Junior modeling position / internship somewhere out there. I've been using 3D Studio Max for about two years now, and am attempting to break into MAYA / Zbrush in my free time.

Any critiques would be a great help, I look forward to taking part in this community as well as hopefully teach someone out there a trick or two.

Replies

• PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Some suggestions:

1. You need a website
    2. Don't show wip stuff, especially something that is barely even started.
    3. This is a forum that is primarily dedicated to game art, and none of your work is close to being game art. The meshes on your assets are unnecessarily dense, and use a lot of procedural textures and effects instead of any of the techniques that are used for game art.
    4. To be honest, your work looks very beginner level, and something that would be done in a modeling 1 class. You need professional quality work before you should expect to hear back from legitimate companies, even for entry level jobs or internships.
    5. It doesn't seem like you have started to learn how to texture, which is something that is required for the majority of modeling positions, whether it is for environments or characters.

This probably comes off as pretty harsh, but I'm not sure how else to say it.

If you are interested in learning game art, the polycount wiki is a good place to start. http://wiki.polycount.net/

Btw, what the heck is "visual communication design"?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    May I add that unless there are lots of polished animations to show, decently rendered stills can work more effective than static turntables in reels.
  • 3DLam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLam polycounter lvl 14
    Keep at it Steve,

You come to the right place to learn and grow. Polycount has a huge number of talented guys here. Overall I'd say you need to focus on showing your X factor. What makes you stand out of the rest. Where does your talent and passion lie? Overall the reel is a good start but really doesn't stand out from the rest. Competition is tough these days. Dig around and find examples of guys who got a job. What skills are they demonstrating? Learn from them and make them your own.

Good luck!
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    My sister is going to be a Senior at UD. I also have a friend who is at Purdue University who is a VCD major. Visual Communication Design is, more or less, a graphic design degree. At least that's what I've noticed.

Regarding your work: Mushu is your best work. It looks like a pretty nice model. It's way too dense for a game model however. Your texturing skills need work too. Everything else isn't terribly well done for a professional level reel. I suggest you pick what you like doing best, characters, environments, animation, and focus on being the best at that one thing. It saves you lots of trouble and headaches. Then, take a good six months or a year and make a kick ass portfolio. it's what I'm doing, its what my buddy vcortis did (he just recently got a job too). It takes a lot of hard work. You're definitely on the right track though.