Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lara Croft

Sup. I'm working on a high res Lara in ZBrush based off the Underworld concept and some fan art I saw. I'm prolly gonna just do the high res version in ZBRUSH and call it quits. I'm working on polishing the model and will start polypainting soon. Anyone have any feedback? Thanks

lara1.jpg
lara2.jpg

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    My name is Adam and I approve of this woman.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    That's amazing. Her eyes look a little too blue through and her knees look thin and wrinkly.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    The radious of the knees look small~
    Her eyes are too open too. They are feeking me out @_@
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    To help the eyes blend in better with the rest of the model it'd be best to tone the blue down a notch as well as the saturation. Right now the eyes are too piercing and out of place. Same goes with the skin tone.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Knees are too thin (and just a touch too low?), lower arm is too uniformly thin, forehead is too long (or is that just the hair being puffed up?), back of the head looks a little squashed, aforementioned crazy eye saturation, also would help to put a small shadow alpha plane over the eye, ears are too high up.

Good overall, though.
  • curtj5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thanks yeah I'm working on the hair maybe I need to tweak it more, the style is supposed to be "puffy" at the top but maybe it still looks a little off... the eye color is a quick placeholder but yeah Imma put a real texture on em and try to fix the model some more. they look ok from a distance but when you zoom in yeah she looks freaky lol
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    There's a bit more Angelina Joline in that model than I think is warranted, but that's mostly personal taste. That and the freakishly blue eyes.

Now...where did I put that pic...

evolutionoflaracroftove.jpg

laracroftevolutiontombr.jpg

To me, the appeal of Lara as a character was always those magnificent - the, uh, larger-than-life characterization. Toby Gard designed her as almost a mythical character, sort of like Ulysses or even Batman; a legend in her own time, somebody who exists in a realistic world but is so exceptional that she's out in the gray zone past realism and just before caricature. There's an essential aspect of idealization to her. She's capable of things physically and mentally that few others can do, goes toe to toe with monsters, gods, and the supernatural, and doesn't blink.

And to sell that kind of character, she has to look the part, the same way Batman or Ulysses couldn't be a 90 pound weakling with a weak jaw. Thus, shades of amazon or even valkyrie - the hips, that chest, the thick lips, and those legs that go for a mile. Her face has also always been very, very feminine, with the features kept very soft. No pronounced folds in the cheeks or around the mouth, a very simple profile for her nose, and a strong but not jutting chin.

Once Eidos (and later Crystal Dynamics) started trying to push her towards being a completely realistic character, all those idealized visual traits in the design got cranked way down. We ended up with a design that looks more like a college coed bikini model or a twenty-something actress you might meet at a club in a big city, instead of the image you have in your mind of this nearly-mythical globetrotting, treasure-hunting, T-rex killing super-woman you've only read about and heard incredible stories about. The larger-than-life appeal faded away as she got more real.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that the recent games (Legend and Underworld) have headed off with their own, more realistic and kind of humbled version of the character (probably with a nudge in that direction from the films) which is a departure from what she looked like for most of the series. And if you want to go with that interpretation of the character, not only are you free to do so, those pics show you're more than capable of making it look damn good.

For your design, I would suggest maybe making her chin a little less sharp and softening some of the folds in her face to make her look younger; she looks a little early-30's-ish

I guess I just miss Lara's original design. I'd love to see it make a comeback, with the impossibly awesome, idealized appearance to match the original nearly-superhuman characterization.

...I'll stop rambling now.

EDIT: Ok, I just caught the part where you mentioned you were using the Underworld design. So basically, ignore me. :poly142:
  • mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    She has a butter face.

Everything's good, but 'er face.

Seriously, it's awesome, but her facial expression is f**king scary.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    She reminds me a lot like Olivia Wilde

which isn't bad because Tomb Raider can be interpreted many ways but right now she does have that freakish Rape face goin on
  • curtj5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol. Well Garagebay your post was interesting to read. Yeah well. My original intent was to try and create a combination of a realistic Angelina Jolie in the Underworld outfit. After modeling Jolie's face I found it to be a difficult face to get to look right, so I started using Olivia Wilde as a reference, lol. She does look older maybe I should definitely make her a bit younger. I've also been considering trying to stylize her a tad, like make the legs longer, since I also like the older versions of Lara as well. The thing is with the next gen graphics where all the characters are semi-photo real, the stylized look doesn't work well with all the realistic details............................ heh I don't know maybe I can push it a little bit see if there's a balance to be had
  • curtj5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh check this out. I found this concept, I guess it's fan art, after much of the model was already done. I was thinking about changing her to look a bit more like this, it looks like the artist wanted to have the oldschool Lara in the new Underworld outfit.

vyv01.jpg
  • curtj5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man I really wish I had a Maya lattice tool in Zbrush :P
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    curtj5 wrote:
    Lol. Well Garagebay your post was interesting to read.

I suppose that's the polite way to put it. :poly114: My apologies, man, I suppose I came off as kind of an ass... "Yeah, it looks fine, but I wish you did something completely different because I'd like that better." Me and my big mouth...
    curtj5 wrote: »
    Oh check this out. I found this concept, I guess it's fan art, after much of the model was already done. I was thinking about changing her to look a bit more like this, it looks like the artist wanted to have the oldschool Lara in the new Underworld outfit.

vyv01.jpg

Oh HELL yeah!

Give her the original wispy tendril bangs, the segmented ponytail down to the small of her back, make her calf and thigh muscles a little more pronounced, and that is IT. I can go with the v-neck halter top instead of the old half-leotard.

Oh man, you gotta. That concept would look freakin' awesome!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing work!!!

You gotta work on her face by the way...she looks old..as if shez almost about to retire..O.O I dont know just the way I see it.

Also her forehead is a bit shorter if you compare your model to the game model or the ref image.

Good luck!! :)
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Great Work Btw forgot to mention that Really good stuff for the inspiration folder
  • curtj5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys. Naw Garage I really enjoyed reading your post. I played Tomb Raider since the first game. I like the concept too. I didn't want to spend the time changing the hair to the classic Lara style but maybe I will. And transpose master crashed my Zbrush. Sweet.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Her eyes as mentioned...also I think you could afford to take another look at her mouth, it's weaker than the rest of the model.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    the eyes scare the shit out of me. Make them brown. Iris's should be bigger. Pupils should be bigger too. Model is great tho. keep it up!
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    The eyes and knees as previously mentioned but I also think her arms are just a tiny bit too skinny for her character, they look like they will snap if something grabs hold of her. Otherwise great work, I like it.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    The models great but her face really does scare me, to the point of I can't not NOT look at it... :| Its eyes man, its damn eyes!!!

I think a huge part is that the kin doesnt really look like skin at the moment, its more metallic, and the tones around the face dont really seem correct (As well as a lack of faked SSS).

The model overall is better than the real thing at this stage so great job! :p
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Check the lips.

She's got a scary smile going on at the mouth corners, but the nasolabial folds aren't emphasised enough to carry that pose off. The eyes are staring and not smiling, so adding those together gives it the slightly manic jokeresque smile.

Also, try to pull the corners of the lower lips under the upper lip and then pull the lip corners back inside the mouth a little. This will prevent the mouth from looking stuck on.
  • dlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dlx
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    I guess I just miss Lara's original design. I'd love to see it make a comeback, with the impossibly awesome, idealized appearance to match the original nearly-superhuman characterization.

You and me both! :) I would love to see a return to the more stylized Lara - with stylized enemies and environments to match.

But back to the thread: As others have pointed out, the head proportions are a little off. The relative position of eyes, ears and mouth are so important and it feels weird when they are even slightly off. I think the ear and the ends of the jaw line are too high. The back of the skull seems a little squashed too, but that could be just the hair shape throwing me off. Maybe allow the hair to droop a little and stick out more in the back?

I would definitely reduce the smile to a more relaxed mouth. I think the eyebrows need more emphasis too. Both Jolie and Wilde have strong eyebrow shapes you could emulate.

The clothes and gear are looking good. Maybe give the back pack an asymmetrical design or have something hanging off one side.

This is more subjective, but I would widen the hips a bit. Since you are going with a realistic style, the broad shoulders and large breasts seem unbalanced with such narrow hips. Even the drawing shows a more prominent hip bone. I think it would improve the silhouette too.
  • curtj5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya thanks I agree with everything mentioned, as for the textures they were just temporary for the most part
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    That face will give me nightmares. Take it off.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seconded... the body is fine, but the face needs some work. xD
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    forehead is too big