Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Spring Cleaning help

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
I have been working on a bunch of new pieces and want to clear out some of the dead weight from my portfolio from both the 2D and 3D sections.

So let me know what you guys think I should cut, I am not looking for any unsolicited crits beyond that please...and yes I know that my stuff is all over the place but where I live all the local studios want and need to see people with a real generalist sort of skill set.

Thanks for your help dudes!

www.shaunpatterson.com

Replies

• Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I just rand through the 3D stuff. You have some nice low poly assets. It all seems to be heavy on the toon shading/outlined style though but it has a nice distinctive feel to it too.

My top three that you remove are the City of Sinners and Saints exteriors and your guns.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just rand through the 3D stuff. You have some nice low poly assets. It all seems to be heavy on the toon shading/outlined style though but it has a nice distinctive feel to it too.

My top three that you remove are the City of Sinners and Saints exteriors and your guns.

Cool, thanks for your input!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    environment & props seems to be your strong point, remove the characters and the 2d section.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    environment & props seems to be your strong point, remove the characters and the 2d section.

Ya the 3D characters are a weak link... I really wouldn't want to take out my 2D work though. Thanks for your input though!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ya the 3D characters are a weak link... I really wouldn't want to take out my 2D work though. Thanks for your input though!

I'm not saying it's horrible but you always have to do the "does it belong on the back of a game box" test.. or in the case of concept does it belong in a "The Art of Game X" art book.
  • Stutts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stutts polycounter lvl 11
    I have to agree with Justin on this. Stick with the strong stuff, your portfolio is only going to be as good as your weakest peice
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    From your 3d section I'd remove the characters, the unfinished image with those 2 guns. The image second the left on the bottom row, the one with a building made with like..satellites or something.

Also...do you have any high poly models? I think right now you're limiting yourself too much with just low poly+diffuse models. It'd be nice to see some low poly models baked from the high to show that you can do it.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I really wouldn't want to take out my 2D work though.

Really? because unlike Justin I'll say it, it's pretty bad. As in, little kid drawings. I mean looking at this, this is not a portfolio.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not saying it's horrible but you always have to do the "does it belong on the back of a game box" test.. or in the case of concept does it belong in a "The Art of Game X" art book.

Ya good point Justin...i'll meet you half way and trim it down to the best 1/4 of whats there now
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    keepthese.jpg

I think these pieces are good enough to stay. Note I only took half the furniture. The top 2 sets are very very simple. The only really likeable items are the beds and couches. Sorry to be so harsh.

All your renders seem to be 3dMax scanline renders, with a very bland light setup, if any light setup at all.

The latest 2 works (western street and bland wall of apartments) look better visually then the others, but they're completely inapproprate for game art. You're throwing more polies at it then current gen games, but only a fuzzy bland diffuse map. No specular, no normals, nothing.
    And they're rendered shots instead of realtime.

My tip: build a few props to get aqquainted with current techniques. Then make a temp PF of those props + what I selected, then make a more elaborate environment, and ditch these selected ones too (maybe keep 2 or so).

You'll end up with a PF that's a completely fresh start (having just the props and the environment)

It'll take a bit of work though.
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »

I think these pieces are good enough to stay. Note I only took half the furniture. The top 2 sets are very very simple. The only really likeable items are the beds and couches. Sorry to be so harsh.

All your renders seem to be 3dMax scanline renders, with a very bland light setup, if any light setup at all.

The latest 2 works (western street and bland wall of apartments) look better visually then the others, but they're completely inapproprate for game art. You're throwing more polies at it then current gen games, but only a fuzzy bland diffuse map. No specular, no normals, nothing.
    And they're rendered shots instead of realtime.

My tip: build a few props to get aqquainted with current techniques. Then make a temp PF of those props + what I selected, then make a more elaborate environment, and ditch these selected ones too (maybe keep 2 or so).

You'll end up with a PF that's a completely fresh start (having just the props and the environment)

It'll take a bit of work though.

Thanks, you make some good points.