Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Luger P08 model

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
SebastianK polycounter lvl 12
First post here, I've been a loyal lurker for a while, not wanting to post because honestly I don't think I'm of the caliber of the average skill level that is shared through out this forum, but I've been persuade into posting here and so I will.
I've recently been wanting to do some hard surface modeling because of the fact that most of the things I do tend to be organic, so I figured I'd start with something small, something just about the same size as a Luger P08 pistol.
I've only done the high poly at the moment but my intention is to make a low poly version of this next and then bake all of the detail down, just figured I'd post it here first just in case.

lugerrender1.png
lugerrender2.png
lugerrender3.png

These shots were indeed rendered, which I know is generally unneeded as shots from the editor tend to just be more straight forward but the Maya viewport, as some may know, is not as good as the Max one. And therefor the clearness of the lit shots I can get from that, while nice looking, aren't that good.
The gun wasn't meant to be hyper-realistic and I doubt it would work if made in real life, but I think I captured the gist of the gun in this model. Also all of the really high-surface stuff on the gun like the pattern on the handle or some of the ridges on some of the mechanic bits I'll add later in photoshop, seeing as it's just a lot easier than doing it in the actual mesh

Looking forward to comments. :)

Replies

• SebastianK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here're some quick wireframe shots
    screenshot20100506at192.png
    screenshot20100506at192.png
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Luger Ref

This ref looks like a modern reproduction, but I'm sure there are other guys here that are far more familiar with WWII era weaponry that are better qualified to comment on actual production dates and such.

Snazzy. The barrel has an overall taper that your missing and theres a forward part of the trigger that appears to be missing, thats about all I noticed.

And just for fun -> Accessories
  • SebastianK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah cool, thanks man, didn't even notice the added section of the trigger. Will be fixed. :)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think I've ever seen a trigger guard with more polies! Overall looks nice I think though.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Luger Ref

This ref looks like a modern reproduction, but I'm sure there are other guys here that are far more familiar with WWII era weaponry that are better qualified to comment on actual production dates and such.

Snazzy. The barrel has an overall taper that your missing and theres a forward part of the trigger that appears to be missing, thats about all I noticed.

And just for fun -> Accessories

Not a modern repro - it's a WWI era Artillery Luger, basically a PDW before the concept was really cemented. That whole setup is probably worth several thousand bucks if it's in decent condition and even some of the parts match. I wish interesting guns like that were included in games more often, instead of the usual knife-glock-magnum revolver-SMG-rocket launcher menagerie.

Sebastian, take a careful look a the profiles and contours of the grip panels on each side of the grip, especially along the top. You're actually pretty doggone close with most of the model, but edges of the grip panels need some work and the centers of the panels are a bit more bulged than I'm seeing in the references.
  • SebastianK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, thanks guys, I'll get to all of those things. :)