Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Church Environment - UDK

Hey guys,

Had to get stuck into this for one of my uni modules. The idea was that I used Zbrush and a modern games engine to create a scene, so rather than totally focussing on creating characters and fully zbrushed objects (I'm not a huge fan of zb, I much prefer hard surface high poly in Max) I decided to incorporate it into my workflow for various normal maps and detailing in my environment.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmDSo4mEyek[/ame]

Jpeg compression is killing the light and shadow definition, but the youtube vid is much better

4576778726_58d9c2850e_b.jpg

4576140651_1e07e04b6c_b.jpg

Its not 100% finished yet by no means, but my deadline is in the morning and I'm interested in any opinions and feedback that anyone might have.

Any CnC appreciated

Replies

• Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    The first thing that stands out to me is the emptiness of the scene. It's just open negative space in the center of the church. I'd fill that with something. Next to that is the architecture. It seems to give off a post modern/1500 cathedral/chapel vibe. What I'm trying to say is that those two different time periods don't match real well. That could be caused by the repetitive nature of your structural supports and the "roofs" that are attached to them. I also feel some of your textures could use some work just to break up the monotonous feel.

What I do like is the lighting, the fog, and your stained glass. I also really like your final image. I think that since this was a uni project, perhaps a little later when you have time you can come back and revisit it. There are a few outstanding church projects on these forums that could be a great source of inspiration to you. They are to me! Keep at it.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty good work, especially for a class project. Understand the shortcomings of this piece and focus on improving on them in whatever next environment you build.

As far as comments I think Ruroni's are accurate--the free mix of iconography (random graphic on floor, cross on rear wall) suggests you have very little concrete idea of what a church is like. Or a mosque, a temple, etc. Not that you need to slavishly re-create a real world structure, but if you are to build a convincing virtual space you must first understand the specifics. Sacred spaces in particular are some of the first (archaeologists seem to think the very first) structures man built, so needless to say there are a lot of specialized forms and habits that go into them. In order to build a virtual version you should understand some idea of how the real thing is planned and put together. Don't treat it like homework--architecture is one of the most interesting, rewarding, and vital practices out there. Off the top of my head I recommend David Macauley's books--simply written, but beautifully illustrated (and very cheap used.)

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Cathedral-Story-Its-Construction-Sandpiper/dp/0395316685/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272978254&sr=8-1-spell[/ame]
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rows of wooden seating would help this scene immensely. :)