Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dwarven Tomb Hallway - UDK Scene

Hey guys, I had to jump off my ork trukk project for a while to do an environment project for a uni deadline, it's been a bit of a rush job and I won't have it finished for hand in, but I'll come back to it afterwards anyway. Can't show it in too much glory yet as the diffuse and specular are plain grey as placeholder.

The piece itself I'm aiming towards a typical fantasy setting, a brooding dungeon, inspiration from the sorts of diablo, torchlight, and wow. This would be just a connecting hallway filled with numerous packs of enemies like some disgruntled dwarven arsebags. Scene is constructed in a modular fashion so as to be used throughout the said dungeon. Diffuse, not complete yet will be very grey, I intend the lighting to set the colour and atmosphere, another modular factor so different sections of the dungeon could have different coloured themes.

Anyone have any first impressions or opinions, would appreciate your eye.

Cheers

dwarftomb.jpg

Replies

• breakneck
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    I really like the beard pillars!
    could use a character in the scene for scale reference -
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    very cool! I love the idea of the rocks sticking out on the ceiling. Right now it all feels a bit like plastic though, I think you can fix that by sharpening it up, getting some more dirt/AO in the cavities, less spec etc. Can't wait to see more!
  • ManxViking
    Cheers for the quick response, scale wise, see image with ut3 character, in the middle of making it however I could imagine it being a lot larger.

@Peris - Specular is plain grey at the moment, just to check the normals were correctly displayed, gonna work on them asap

Thanks

dtscale.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great so far but it definitely needs some texturing work. I doubt the Dwarves would keep the place so clean. To me it only looks like there's AO and bumpmaps on the textures. Add some dirt and grime as Peris said. Also maybe a few chunks of debris/rocks on the floor would be good as it is underground and rocks would fall from the ceiling from time to time.

Looking forward to more updates!

EDIT: Aww you posted right before me. Half of my comments are irrelevant now! :(
  • Sean VanGorder
    I really like this idea. The pillars and rocks are awesome.

At first glance, something about the scale of the hanging lights seems off. I can't really put my finger on it, maybe somebody else will feel the same way and be able to elaborate.

Looking forward to seeing this fully textured
  • ManxViking
    Thanks Zip, yer just for clarity, there is no diffuse texture or specular thus far, just plain grey. Literally just geometry, normals, and lighting. Texturing oncoming.

On the lights, had to rush the design of them, so didn't really come out how I hoped, incidentally they are KAssets in the scene and swing around if knocked around (for fun more than anything else). I think the reason why they are so far down was so I could slightly highlight the faces on the pillars with the orange light without having to increase the light radius and over illuminating the ceiling rocks, think I might play around with the scale and hang distance later.
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    The floor scaling looks to be to large.
  • Timothy_graybill
    Texture? this will look awesome when you get some textures in there and some props. I can Imagine some kind of fancy carpet going right down the middle. or maybe it can even be lik an armory. or a big Dinning area with lots of big tables. anyways looking forward to seeing what you do with it
  • Pope Adam
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Liking the pillars... not personally terribly fond of the shapes of the stones in the ceiling but everyone else seems to be digging it so just forget me lol

Like Peris said they seem a bit plastic-y

about the scale though I'm pretty sure what's throwing it off is the lanterns hanging down... the chains seem a bit burly, as well as the armatures that connect the base of the lamps to where the chains connect... I think it would work better with a thinner chain...

ON a good track here - digging the scene as whole!

cheers -
    ADM
  • Wahlgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Cool. Care to show a wireframe on the roof? Very curious to see how heavy it is and how you did it :)
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Cool. Care to show a wireframe on the roof? Very curious to see how heavy it is and how you did it :)

Yeah, and a wireframe of the columns, I'm curious as to wether you've twisted the topology along with the details or not.
  • Sirdelita
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    good start, i would try desaturating your lights a bit
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    very nice
    agree that the lgreen is way too saturated, where is it coming from, i would tone it down by maybe half and give the textures a greenish moldy tinge
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I really like that seemingly tiling stone mesh you have going on the ceiling!
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'll echo the general consensus of moving the lamps higher, and I'll add some extra crits regarding the light.

I'm guessing you have the light about halfway up the chain to get a nicer look, but it's not working:
    - The fires are below the face, but the faces are lit from above (check eyesocket and forehead).
    - the top of the arches is lighter then the faces, even though it's further away

Personally i think the light's fallof should be softer.

Performancewise, is it possible to have the fires be connected with real time lighting? would work nicer with the lights being kinematic.