Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hard Surface and Organic Modeling

[Deleted User]
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
[Deleted User] polycounter lvl 9
sophmore at aicasd. this was my second 3d class and first time using maya. had to make a liquor scene in 5 weeks, you might of remembered when i asked for help on here earlier

whatcha guys think?

sunday34.jpg

sunday35.jpg

Replies

• East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    First thing that comes to mind is how neat everything is, like the store is staffed by people with serious OCD. You could try bringing it more to life by adding some more variation on the shelves. Products that aren't quite as evenly spaced.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    keep in mind posters and cereal box art and potato chip bag art and stuff like that are all copyrighted material.

what engine is this in? first thing i noticed is the lighting is pretty bland and drab, no shadows or any kind of depth.

for a liquor scene they seem to only sell Heineken and even then its in boxes behind the
    counter, the shelves are sparsely filled did you look at some reference of liquor stores?
    Minneapolis-liquor-stores.jpg

i'm not trying to offend you or anything, but in the future try to do some of the texturing yourself, it seems every texture is a photo you got online.
    cold-beer-poster.png

ucm163488.jpg

2cqcgo0.jpg
    coke.jpg

it looks like on the heineken and cereal boxes that the sides of the boxes that you couldnt find pictures of are just a plain blank color.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i rendered in maya
    this is my second 3d class i havent taken texture class yet
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i rendered in maya
    this is my second 3d class i havent taken texture class yet

neither has the majority of these forums :)
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Before touching up on what has been addressed, you may want to consider using a scale object and resize the objects in you scene, everything seems off in proportions. It's important to scale the set properly or you'd have a poor foundation to work with.

It'd be nice if you also spend a little time playing with camera views to show off your scene from different perspectives.

You also may want to come up with an asset list for what you would expect/want in a liquor store. The scene is missing a lot of elements for what it is.

Have fun.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this was my midterm, its already been turned in. just wanted some opinions to maybe improve it :)
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Is it me or do all of the women on the coca cola ad look the same but with different hair color?
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey another Ai student! :D

The first thing that comes to me was "Is the floor self illuminated?"

It's just so bright :P

Are your floors receiving shadows?
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    First thing I thought was texture resolution. But hey not too bad for a first or second (or third) Maya project. Definitely takes time. That's for sure.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i know i havent really got the hang of offsetting the images in photoshop to tile em better, and i think the textures that bright. yeah i need to become better. thanks for all the help!!