Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Catamaran Space Yacht

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Polygoblin polycounter
This is my entry for a competition at GA. The due date was just extended to May 9th, so I figured I'd post here for feedback. Looking for critiques, comments, and sarcastic bouts of admiration ;)
- Most Recent -
YachtV7.jpg
- End Recent -

(Progression) Basic shapes...

(Progression) Refining...

Finishing up the high res.
YachtV4.jpg
Still need to buckle the sails to the support wires, and finish the sail ejection / retraction details.

YachtV4Wire.gif

Reference Collage

C&C is welcomed and much appreciated :)

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man. Looks like a fairly clean mesh and I certainly get the concept right off the bat, so nice going on that.

I think my most immediate comment would be that I don't understand why the space yacht seems to be completely bounded by the requirements of a seabound-hull. Why does it look like it has to be able to float on water? Why not some enormous keel or otherwise interesting shapes? It looks too much like an entirely traditional catamaran that somehow ended up in space, with engines and a solar sail.

Rather I'd like to see an evocation of yacht form language and detailing on a ship that is born for space exclusively, rather than a boat that seems to have stumbled into space.

Also, I find the overall detail distribution curious. Your inset detail of the sail system is a cool looking techy bit, and yet it's buried between the double hulls.

I know this compo is over but it's a worthwhile thought to consider how you could have more thoroughly integrated the two ideas (space travel + yacht), instead of just simply grafting the elements together.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    I like the concept, and I really like the parachute-thing model!
    However, unless you're going for a comical look, maybe you should try to make the vessel itself less boaty, but still keep the basic shapes you've got going?

Keep it up!
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Thanks for your input, guys. Luckily the comp isn't over and I can make some adjustments ;) That said, I don't have enough time to scrap the whole design. I can make some changes, but nothing too drastic.
    I played with some other places to put the sail pod, but with the current design, it makes the most (logical) sense being where it is. I won't focus too much time putting details in that area.

Overall, I will be using the rest of my budget to "spaceship-ify" it up! :)

Rearconcept.jpg
    Trying a different back end out. Needs more glass.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Gonna say no to the proposed change, seeing as how it startlingly resembles an ass in a thong. Unless that was what you were going for...?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    its looking pretty blobby atm. maybe try and build it out of multiple peices rather than one giant shell? Also... why are there engines if you have a sail?

i'd say this could be a cool portfolio peice if you just stepped back and tried to redesign this some. Don't let a competition deadline force you to rush something that could be cool.

Short term though I think bending the tips of the hull down to look more like a torpedo instead of a ship hull could benefit a lot. Also, why not make the entire cockpit area a dome shaped glass piece instead of a narrow window? Seeing how the passengers couldn't chill on the deck in space like a normal boat, giving them a sweet observation dome could be pretty nice.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    gauss wrote: »
    Gonna say no to the proposed change, seeing as how it startlingly resembles an ass in a thong. Unless that was what you were going for...?

No, thats not what I'm going for. Having trouble, since this is my first real vehicle/hard-surface venture. Back to the drawing board...
    oobersli wrote: »
    its looking pretty blobby atm. maybe try and build it out of multiple peices rather than one giant shell? Also... why are there engines if you have a sail?

I plan to break it down into smaller pieces when I find a decent design. It is easier to make global changes that way. Many sailboats have engines. It is meant to conserve energy by utilizing solar winds. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll play around with those ideas a bit.

Thanks, guys :)
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Got a few hours to work tonight, so I wanted to upload a ss real quick of my current progress in hopes that you guys could give me some tips on vehicle detailing and stuff.

ShapeConcept.jpg

Working backwards a bit, but I like how its shaping up. I was worried about spending too much time on preproduction, but its hurting me now. Note to self...

Edit: Addressing "blobbyness" now...
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Honestly, at the moment it looks pretty good. It's got an interesting design and from the side view has some interesting lines. I think the other views could use some work as it is very square - maybe it bends inwards in the front or something like that to add some interest there.
    I'd also, as mentioned above, definitely start addressing the blobbyness - go in and begin adding some hard edges to define the lines more.
    Some things I feel which could help this would be to start breaking up the shell - maybe panel lines to add some interest. Maybe open it up in certain areas to reveal some type of machinery inside.
    I'm sure (or hope) you've already looked at concepts for this but I went ahead and did a quick search for some but here's one that I found especially interesting:
    http://imagesme.net/tuvie/honda-the-great-race-2025-concept7.jpg
    On that, what I thought was interesting was the way the shell was clearly kept a shell which then was simply covering the mechanics inside. Even the shell was broken up with some small panel lines which defines seperate areas and also add some interest.

Don't know if this helps at all, just my two cents; but it is coming along well and I hope to see it further along.

Oh, and take a look at some of the hard edges on this and how well they define the curves and lines of the design:
    http://www.conceptmobiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/zobin_concept_ferrari-1.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    oh it has a physical sail... How quaint.

I've just bought my high achieving academic son his first spacecraft... With an electromagnetic sail of course... Our butler takes him to mars university in it every morning...

But yeah. You want high class, i say get rid of solid sail
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    @Paulsvoboda: Thanks for the excellent links and suggestions. They helped me quite a bit. Didn't get to the panel lines yet, but its on the list.

@Harry: You know, not EVERYONE can afford electromagnetic sails, butlers, and tuition at Mars U! ;) I like how your thinking. Let me draw some things up...

Thanks guys

YachtV5.jpg

Addressing the engines, rudders, sail, (lots more) body work, and fine details next...

C&C is welcomed and appreciated :)
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    - Final Submission -

YachtV7.jpg

Thanks for viewing my work :)

(I will still be working on this. I just wanted to make sure I met submission guidelines. Still looking for C&C)