Home General Discussion

Batman 3 Release Date Set - July 20, 2012

Warner Bros. Pictures has set a July 20, 2012 release date for Christopher Nolan's third Batman movie in conventional and IMAX theaters! Let the countdown commence!

I plan to dodge all trailers and teasers until then. Its funny because the only information released about it besides the release date is the fact that the main villain will NOT be Mr. Freeze, haha. I hope Harvey Dent returns. By the way, I can't believe no one else made a topic about this, The Dark Knight was only the BEST MOVIE EVER people! Of course, Batman 3 won't be able to compare to it by any means since there won't be a Joker in it. :)

Replies

• East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Cool. I didn't care much for Begins and Dark Knight, but I guess I have to be suitably patriotic: Yay.

:P
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with your judgement of the Dark Knight. I went to see it four times at the cinema. I was a bit of a Batard, I think I've recovered now, though.

I'm not so sure about the new film, how can it live up to the Dark Knight?

But Chris Nolan does seem to keep delivering, this new film of his Inception is looking very interesting, but then it could end up like Spiderman 3. "You are going to put the Penguin and Catwoman in!" demands the studio.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    No one made a topic because the only thing set for the movie is the release date. I'm not sure Nolan has even said he finished the story yet.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Chris Nolan didn't have a multi-picture deal like Sam Raimi did for Spider-Man. Officially, he hasn't even been announced as the director of Batman 3, so those details are likely still pending. Because Nolan's not under contract, the studio can't make him do anything - if they tried to insist he include certain characters, he can walk away and leave them with no writer/director.

I don't think anything like that will happen. Nolan gave WB the highest grossing comic movie of all-time, and the genre's only Oscar performance, so I think they know the recipe for success is to just turn him loose.

Also, Harvey Dent is definitively dead. Aaron Eckhart himself said that in interviews after the release of The Dark Knight. Wouldn't make sense for the third movie anyway, as Nolan went to the trouble of setting Batman up to appear as the bad guy in Gotham for the next flick. If Two-Face shows up and everyone knows Dent is guilty, it goes against the whole last act of TDK.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    The truth is Dark Knight was so great cuz of the joker. The direction was great, the scenes' setup working very harmoniously with the soundtrack, but what else? not much, really. Without a strong performance from any of the supporting actors, Bail himself will not deliver.

I'm putting my money on Riddley Scott's Alien prequel.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne wrote: »
    Chris Nolan didn't have a multi-picture deal like Sam Raimi did for Spider-Man. Officially, he hasn't even been announced as the director of Batman 3, so those details are likely still pending. Because Nolan's not under contract, the studio can't make him do anything - if they tried to insist he include certain characters, he can walk away and leave them with no writer/director.

I don't think anything like that will happen. Nolan gave WB the highest grossing comic movie of all-time, and the genre's only Oscar performance, so I think they know the recipe for success is to just turn him loose.

Also, Harvey Dent is definitively dead. Aaron Eckhart himself said that in interviews after the release of The Dark Knight. Wouldn't make sense for the third movie anyway, as Nolan went to the trouble of setting Batman up to appear as the bad guy in Gotham for the next flick. If Two-Face shows up and everyone knows Dent is guilty, it goes against the whole last act of TDK.

Chris Nolan stated that he planned to do a third movie a long time ago... its not like someone has ever said they were going to direct/write a movie then suddenly disappear. Not to mention that Batman 3 will probably be the most anticipated movie of all time, even if it ends up sucking, it will make a lot of money just from people that want to see the sequel to the Dark Knight.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    If Two-Face shows up and everyone knows Dent is guilty, it goes against the whole last act of TDK.

The last 2 minutes you mean hehe. Yeah I saw this date days ago (July 12th actually) but considering the fact that Nolan hasn't been absolutely confirmed yet, I refrained till there was so real news. I thought they cocked up the Dark Knight, hope it returns to the greatness of Begins. Seymour Hoffman for Penguin!! :D
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KhAoZ wrote: »
    Chris Nolan stated that he planned to do a third movie a long time ago... its not like someone has ever said they were going to direct/write a movie then suddenly disappear. Not to mention that Batman 3 will probably be the most anticipated movie of all time, even if it ends up sucking, it will make a lot of money just from people that want to see the sequel to the Dark Knight.

I'm not following. What's your point?

Star Wars: Episode 1 is the high point for movie anticipation. People aren't going to be camping out weeks in advance to get opening night tickets for Batman 3.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The last 2 minutes you mean hehe. Yeah I saw this date days ago (July 12th actually) but considering the fact that Nolan hasn't been absolutely confirmed yet, I refrained till there was so real news. I thought they cocked up the Dark Knight, hope it returns to the greatness of Begins. Seymour Hoffman for Penguin!! :D

Actually it is July 20th... lol

www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65650
    I'm not following. What's your point?

Star Wars: Episode 1 is the high point for movie anticipation. People aren't going to be camping out weeks in advance to get opening night tickets for Batman 3.

I think they are...
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Its funny because the only information released about it besides the release date is the fact that the main villain will NOT be Mr. Freeze, haha.

mr-freeze.jpg

Ice to see you!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Ivy for sexy + killer croc for brutal action and muscle, you heard it here first! ;O

throw in some riddler for the thinking man and we got a movie.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Ivy for sexy + killer croc for brutal action and muscle, you heard it here first! ;O

throw in some riddler for the thinking man and we got a movie.
    Sounds like either you played Arkham Asylum or you need to start playing it ;)
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Since the first two focused so much on the mob I think they should go with villains like Black Mask, Scarface, Great White Shark, possibly even the Penguin taking over the mob and various gangs in the city with clues throughout that something isn't quite as it seems and have the big reveal at the end be that the whole thing is being set up by the Riddler.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd bring back Ra's al Ghul, seeing as how he's always coming back from the dead in the comics. Maybe set something up with him and Lady Shiva, so we could get more ninjas!

What I really think will happen is a re-imagining of one of the other characters to make them more realistic, like how Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul were handled. I've heard rumors of the Penguin as a high-class arms dealer. I think it still needs to heavily involve the mob and the Gotham police - that's the most realistic part of Nolan's Batman story, and he's focused on that a lot.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think they are...

"You underestimate the power of the dark side." Nothing outhypes Star Wars. I actually stood in a line outside Toys R' Us the night before the Episode 1 action figures went on sale. Not a proud moment, mind you.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Asherr wrote: »
    Since the first two focused so much on the mob I think they should go with villains like Black Mask, Scarface, Great White Shark, possibly even the Penguin taking over the mob and various gangs in the city with clues throughout that something isn't quite as it seems and have the big reveal at the end be that the whole thing is being set up by the Riddler.

Scarface would be great. That's some spooky shit right there! I loved the take they did on him in the animated series.

Penguin could be good if done right. Like being the owner of Glacier Club like he is in the comics and doing dirty work on the side. But he would be more a supporting character versus a main threat.

Ohh! What about Cain?

Killercroc is too direct a villain. He is a cannibalistic freak that relies on his muscle. He also was already shown in the 1.5 animation movie that WB released before the Dark Knight. There isn't much to give him psychologically.

Maybe we will start or even see hints of Robin.. Mind you a good robin. Not the robin crap as presented from the last series of movies.

The Great White Shark is too new a character, and only was able to operate inside Arkam.
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "You underestimate the power of the dark side." Nothing outhypes Star Wars. I actually stood in a line outside Toys R' Us the night before the Episode 1 action figures went on sale. Not a proud moment, mind you.

I'm not comparing it to Star Wars at all, but I am saying that tickets for the midnight show will sell out hours after going on sale.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    The Dark Knight was good and all, but it in no way left me pining for a third movie. Joker was great, but I don't really remember much else about the movie. Other than it was unnecessarily long.

I'll probably end up seeing this when it comes out, though.

Too bad it's not Mr. Freeze... I would have liked to see the treatment on his char.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    kwakkie wrote: »
    Sounds like either you played Arkham Asylum or you need to start playing it ;)
    Course i did, loved every second of it. One of the best games in the last few years and I bet the movie-producers will take a look or two at it.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    ...maybe because I have a nerd crush.. But I'd love to see Harley Quinn.

At least some mention of her, Or maybe before she turned all loopy. A cameo if you will!
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    The Dark Knight was shit! I liked Begins but the Dark Knight was a mess, no clear motives for the characters and a rushed ending, what was 2 face doing in that movie any way, he made it a muddled and complicated mess. What's with making everything being so Dark and Violent, it's seems to be a shorthand for being interesting nowadays but in actual fact it's obvious and boring! Who cares who's in 3, I don't!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it when someone pops into a thread full of people who really like something, just to tell them how much he doesn't care about the thing they like. It's just so cool when people do that!

Well, no, not really. In actual fact, it's just obvious and boring.
  • DerDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerDude polycounter lvl 10
    i loved both batman-movies, looking forward for the third
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You're obvious and boring!

Ain't we getting excited about this a little on the early side? We've still got well over 750 sleeps until release.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Dark Knight was shit! I liked Begins but the Dark Knight was a mess, no clear motives for the characters and a rushed ending, what was 2 face doing in that movie any way, he made it a muddled and complicated mess. What's with making everything being so Dark and Violent, it's seems to be a shorthand for being interesting nowadays but in actual fact it's obvious and boring! Who cares who's in 3, I don't!

For the most part I agree with you. I don't know what happened with Dark Knight, but I have a feeling it has something to do with Chris Nolans brother coming on as a writer. Or maybe Warner Bros. didn't learn from Batman and Robin and started interfering... but all will be forgiven if he manages to make 3 as FUCKING STELLAR as Batman Begins was. :)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Harley Quinn and The Riddler for me. Quinn as some crazy ass bitch who became obsessed with the Joker while hes in prison, and The Riddler because they have the chance to make him really smart, totally different from the old TV show/films. Would be nice for BRUCE, not BATMAN, to battle the Riddler with his smarts... Exactly like the character should be.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    penguin penguin penguin!
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Wow, such hatred! Do you honestly think it was that bad? haha
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    after playing Arkham Assylum i feel like in the different bandwagon .... ^^ hihi

but im waiting for some good batman movie
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    ..what was 2 face doing in that movie any way, he made it a muddled and complicated mess.

Harvey Dent was the centerpiece of the entire film. His character represented Gotham and the conflict between Batman and Joker's ideals. It was Harvey Dent's movie moreso than it was Bats or Jokers, as far as a story arc.

Anywho, I would think for a third film you'd have to have to go in a completely different direction than the last one, especially with the villain. Joker was so chaotic, I'd think you'd have to have someone that was completely analytical and precise. The Riddler would be a good choice. Maybe portray him the way he was done in Brian Azzarello's Joker graphic novel.

Personally though, (although they probably wouldn't do it) I would love to see them do Scarface. I've always loved that character and the whole psychosis of him. That would be an acting showcase too for whoever got that role.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I've said it before, but I'll say it again
    Riddler working the police to hunt down Batman
    Scarface as the new head of the mob, to show how far they've fallen that they'll listen to an accountant with a puppet
    Bane as the head of the russian mob, he's addicted to Scarecrow's Venom, doesn't make him stronger but lets him ignore nearly any injury.
    Riddler gives him an intellectual challenge, Bane gives him a physical one, and Scarface is one of the few weird ass characters who would fit in.

Casting... John Cusack as Riddler, Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the Ventriloquist, no idea who could play Bane, but Mariusz Pudzianowski is what I think he should look like, no idea if he can act though
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    What's with making everything being so Dark and Violent

It's not called the Light Knight.

Also, funny thing about that movie is that its not nearly as violent as you might remember. They do a lot of suggesting gore rather than actually showing it. Still a lot of guns though.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I love it when someone pops into a thread full of people who really like something, just to tell them how much he doesn't care about the thing they like. It's just so cool when people do that!

Well, no, not really. In actual fact, it's just obvious and boring.
    So by the quality of both our posts it's safe to assume we're both douchebags with nothing worthwhile to contribute to this thread ;)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harvey Dent was the centerpiece of the entire film.

Did we see the same film? I wanna see the version you saw!! Twoface was an afterthought, it really reminded me of Raimi's treatment on venom in spiderman 3...which makes me suspect Nolan doesn't have much love for the character.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did we see the same film? I wanna see the version you saw!! Twoface was an afterthought, it really reminded me of Raimi's treatment on venom in spiderman 3...which makes me suspect Nolan doesn't have much love for the character.

Christopher Nolan: "Well, the way the story is constructed we always imagined that Harvey Dent would form the emotional arc of the story. His story, his tragedy would be the arc of the story. Because the Joker, the purpose of the Joker for us was always that he has no arc, he has no development. He doesn’t learn anything through the film. He’s an absolute. He cuts through the film sort of like the shark in Jaws. So he’s a catalyst for action. People are reacting off and being affected by him."

I dunno, I thought that the movie was really about Dent. He's the focal point of everything. Without him you have no movie. He represents what Batman and Joker are fighting for. He starts off as the typical do gooder, but gets darker and more desperate to do the right thing (his interrogation scene) as the story goes on due to what the Joker is doing, even before he turns into Two Face. His corruption and eventual turn represents Jokers greatest victory. That's why it's so important at the end of the film that Batman and Gordon have to cover up Dent's crimes. I know a lot of people want his character to still be alive, but I thought there wasn't anything that you could say with his character beyond what was done in The Dark Knight.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think thats a very lofty analysis for what is essentially a popcorn flick (especially compared to Begins). Also it sounds like Nolan is bullshitting...lots of bad guys are 'absolutes'...just look at Ras in Begins; or scarecrow. And they were awesome baddies, nothing lacking there. Also, the cause of him turning into twoface was complete BS. So his girlfriend dies...wow. If they had at least tried to address his origin story it would have been much better, and would have actually been a cool tie in to why he was scarred by fire and not acid.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    loved both the batman films but I think begins was better as it had just more "iconic" batman moments, I got chills while watching it. TDK was good but I felt it didnt actually feature batman enough.

I think marilyn manson could visualy make an interesting riddler, if they kept it rather restrained/not goth, his slim build and face are rather interesting and if you ever watch him in interviews or hear him speak he is ridiculously intelligent.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha I've never considered that but that's actually a pretty good idea.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if anyone else here has read Brian Azzarello's Joker trade, but here's the part I was talking about with Riddler. I can totally see a design like this working in Nolan's Bat universe.

(Scroll down a ways)
    http://www.comicsbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5666
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ^mehhh that makes him look like 'lil' joker. Same colors and same feel to the designs, wouldn't play very well on screen as viewers would think that hes was a recast joker.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like a crack fiend XD
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    shotgun wrote: »
    T
    I'm putting my money on Riddley Scott's Alien prequel.

:thumbup:

(Without Crowe)
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17

Haha this must be the first time I read someone who has the same thoughts on the movie. I remember coming out of the cinema very confused, finding the story very messy, I had no idea what was going on most of the time or what the motives of the characters were. I never read batman comics or know who two face was so maybe that's one of the reasons?
    I only really liked the parts with the joker and some of the action.

anyway 1989 batman FTW
  • 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Nolan's gonna do something out of left field. Everything everyone is suggesting won't happen. Hell, who's to say he won't just create a new villain?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I'd just like to go on record to say that the Dark Knight was not THAT good, or is as good as a lot of people make it out to be. I wrote up a huge list of gripes when I submitted a definition to urban dictionary but basically the movie is spoiled with some really bad/cheesy acting from minor characters like some of the cops, and goons. Not to mention the pg13 rating which really undermines the tone of the movie. Example: joker puts a grenade into the bank managers mouth with the audience thinking they would at least cut away and you would see a huge fireball and explosion blow through the bank. only instead they dont, and some sleeping gas pours out and renders the man unconscious. LAME.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricV wrote: »
    I'd just like to go on record to say that the Dark Knight was not THAT good, or is as good as a lot of people make it out to be. I wrote up a huge list of gripes when I submitted a definition to urban dictionary but basically the movie is spoiled with some really bad/cheesy acting from minor characters like some of the cops, and goons. Not to mention the pg13 rating which really undermines the tone of the movie. Example: joker puts a grenade into the bank managers mouth with the audience thinking they would at least cut away and you would see a huge fireball and explosion blow through the bank. only instead they dont, and some sleeping gas pours out and renders the man unconscious. LAME.

You do realise that your example sequence was deliberate and not because of the PG13 rating?

He's the Joker. For a moment the audience thinks the nade will explode and the bank manager probably shat his pants 5 times only for it to be sleeping gas. It's a moment of tension.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to mention the pg13 rating which really undermines the tone of the movie. Example: joker puts a grenade into the bank managers mouth with the audience thinking they would at least cut away and you would see a huge fireball and explosion blow through the bank. only instead they dont, and some sleeping gas pours out and renders the man unconscious. LAME.

Twenty minutes or so after that scene, the Joker kills a goon by slamming a pencil through his eyeball. An hour after that, we see Rachel blown apart in a massive explosion and then cut to Harvey Dent getting his face burnt off. All that was too tame for you?

Like vcool said, the Joker was just fucking with the guy. Because, you know, he's the Joker.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    basically the movie is spoiled with some really bad/cheesy acting from minor characters like some of the cops

IS THAT A BAZOOKA????? :P
  • KhAoZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris wrote: »
    Haha this must be the first time I read someone who has the same thoughts on the movie. I remember coming out of the cinema very confused, finding the story very messy, I had no idea what was going on most of the time or what the motives of the characters were. I never read batman comics or know who two face was so maybe that's one of the reasons?
    I only really liked the parts with the joker and some of the action.

anyway 1989 batman FTW

Admit it.... you thought Batman was going to find a way to save both Rachel and Harvey :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone else think that Holmes was way better than Gyllenhal? She played the role as a bimbo moron, whereas Holmes at least acted down to earth (your opinions of her crazy ass husband/cult choice aside)

What was the real reason she didn't return for dark knight? Can't have been just because she was pregnant.