Home Technical Talk

Wich one is the best way to uvmap this?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , I wul dlike a suggestion on how to uvmap this tree ... wich one is the best way?

I so far individuated 4 ways but I am not sure wich one would give me the best results ....

1st one is like making all into one texture , proportionally scaled texture uvmaps of the different parts like pieces of roots and trunks etc , then work all the seams in mudbox so to have a perfectly seamless item , problem is that the texture will look not so detailed also becouse this tree has to be severall meters wide at its base and 40 m tall .... so the detail on the close level needs to be quite visible ....

2nd

Make severall parts , scale all the parts on a seamless texture but then There woudl be visible seams on the pieces like trunk or roots

3rd make one single texture uvmap like in nuymber 2 in the picture but this would give may be some stretching in some parts and some seams on some others

4th Make a scaled to the borders uvmapping , this would make me still perfect sieams , by also overlapping parts of the roots but still all seams attached to the main body , but it can cause some visible repetitions on the roots ...

If there is any other better way please tell me :( I am kind of stuck ....

61502532.jpg

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I was at this stage when I was making a tree of mine. Fortunately, seams on trees aren't so much of an issue :)
    What I usually do is place seams around each root and pelt those individually. Pelt the trunk individually as well. The reason seams don't show too much on trees is because you can easily just bring it into mudbox/Zbrush and paint right over the seams. Put some moss, some dirt, maybe even some mud to help blend those seams.
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of this depends on A: How you're using it in game and B: The program you're using to texture it with. If it's something that the player is going to be all over, looking at every nook and cranny, you're going to want to avoid any major seaming. If you have to have a seam, I'd have one and I'd put it along whatever will be the back side. You can achieve this by grabbing sections, projecting from your camera then sewing the edges together with the intent of leaving a single seam somewhere on the mesh.

If you're using something like modo to texture, you really don't have to worry about a seam, you just paint right over it with a clone brush in modo and it's taken care of. In photoshop you can paint out the seam too, but it'd take a little more elbow grease and could prove to be a hassle depending on what your texture is like.

Either way, I'd recommend putting the seam in between a couple of roots, somewhere recessed back into the model.

As to the question of whether or not you need to have unique UV's, overlapping or anything outside 0-1 space, that's all dependent on your final output be it a game engine or whatever.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    mudbox seaming is good only if I dont span the texture over the borders , since this is a huge tree i cant do this couse it woul djust make the texture small and stretched .... I guess....
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Actually, mudbox is great for this. Mudbox has a tool called the Clone Brush. Basically, you import your texture into mudbox, and it is exactly like the Clone Stamp Tool in photoshop. The thing is, you can see where your seams are in 3D space, and you can effectively eliminate all seams in your texture.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Amadreaus wrote: »
    A lot of this depends on A: How you're using it in game and B: The program you're using to texture it with. If it's something that the player is going to be all over, looking at every nook and cranny, you're going to want to avoid any major seaming. If you have to have a seam, I'd have one and I'd put it along whatever will be the back side. You can achieve this by grabbing sections, projecting from your camera then sewing the edges together with the intent of leaving a single seam somewhere on the mesh.

If you're using something like modo to texture, you really don't have to worry about a seam, you just paint right over it with a clone brush in modo and it's taken care of. In photoshop you can paint out the seam too, but it'd take a little more elbow grease and could prove to be a hassle depending on what your texture is like.

Either way, I'd recommend putting the seam in between a couple of roots, somewhere recessed back into the model.

As to the question of whether or not you need to have unique UV's, overlapping or anything outside 0-1 space, that's all dependent on your final output be it a game engine or whatever.

The tools I have I can work with is Zbrush , mudbox , 3dsmax and photoshop , I am using anyway just 3dsmax and photoshop , The Tree is a tree that needs to be ingame , its 40 tall , the part that the players will see mostly are the roots , but looking up they can see also the tall trunk , the roots are almoust as tall as the player and so the player can actually get among the same roots , I will place also some ivys but I didnt want to cover all ov ivys , I would like ot have the best way to seamlessy texture this , the other problem is beeing it so big I can't make all into one texture space but I need to span over this becouse I want the texture to be so more detailed when the player gets closer....
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Actually, mudbox is great for this. Mudbox has a tool called the Clone Brush. Basically, you import your texture into mudbox, and it is exactly like the Clone Stamp Tool in photoshop. The thing is, you can see where your seams are in 3D space, and you can effectively eliminate all seams in your texture.

Yes but only if I make al lthe texture into the texture space and I do not span over the borders , otherwiseI cant have good seams....
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My advice would be to imagine this as made of paper then smash it flat creasing (mirroring) along the ridges and valleys. You would then end up with a very overlapped and mirrored UV set but with no seams.

Then just scale the UVs out over a tiling bark texture until you hit your desired pixel density.