Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

post-apocalyptic level design

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
vladino polycounter lvl 15
Hi guys, long time no see :) I'm working on a post apocalyptic level for a game right now. Won't go deep into the story but basically the whole planet is flooded after atomic war and the survivors live in small floating cities.

Quite a lot of stuff to model and design so I'll be chucking it all here.. It's low poly diffuse textures only work. No lights in the scene or anything like that so the diffuse textures needs to do all the job :)

Would love to hear your critics!

First off is a statue of liberty.. will be drown in a water from the neck down. I had a big problem to make the definition of the form stand out under all that dirt. I tried to manually paint in some shadows and speculars, which helped a lot, but I'm still not sure if I like it.. will see how it blends with the rest of the environment.

promo_statue01.jpg

Replies

• ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the brick pattern used on the texture is way too obvious.
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ES_139 wrote: »
    the brick pattern used on the texture is way too obvious.

The "bricks" are supposed to be plates of oxidized cooper - I draw it myself, that's probably why it does not look like it :D I tink I know what you're pointing out.. I'll try to make them different sizes and orientations.. Thanks for your comment!
  • ApolloX88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ApolloX88 polycounter lvl 6
    I see what you are going for, but the plates are not that obvious. They also appear to be more vertically aligned, where yours are horizontal. Either tone them down or scratch them.

statue-of-liberty-ny1.jpg
    statue-of-liberty-new-york-usa-travel-critic.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    they should Wave along the Curves of the cloth ^^
    Also you patterned them in Brick style, they should go aligned one on top of the others.
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet guys, exactly the type of comments I need! :) I'll work on it more.. Cheers.
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update - a players boat. Will be very small on the screen so I went just for 64x64 texture. The tris count is 143.

promo_boat03.jpg
  • dlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dlx
    For the statue, surfaces that face up receive more sunlight and get a bleached, powdery look. Use the dark stains and streaks sparingly to fake some shadows. You can also use the grime to emphasize details like the drapery, fingers and face.

You could take a similar approach to the boat, lightening the top surfaces and the tops of the tires to show more form. Maybe make the boat two colors to make it more interesting? Or maybe that conflicts with the game design.
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It needs to be WAAAAAAY more damaged... IMHO headless SoL will be just fine for post-apo level ^^
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    the boat looks a lot like a car
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    P442 wrote: »
    the boat looks a lot like a car

True this. My brain's response was sort of like this:
    Car! no wait. pickup truck. APC? oh the text says it's a boat.

You'd probably be better off with bumpers/buoys like:
    istockphoto_3730289-boat-and-buoy-on-the-shore.jpgistockphoto_7641796-boat-bumper.jpg123.gif
    which would also give you some extra happy colours in there.

Could you post a shot of the assets as they would appear in-game? Final resolution/angle etc. Because the shot with water looks really pixelated, and from topdown you don't get much use of the polies spent on the cargo area.

The statue needs to have her left side/arm rounded out a bit. If you want to save polies you can weld the tips of her crown (except the broken tips) and merge a couple of verts at the elbow/sleeve. From the looks of it she'd going to be submerged in water? If so, make sure to add some water line damage and algae:
    MetalBulkheads0014_thumblarge.jpgMetalBulkheads0034_thumblarge.jpgMetalBulkheads0016_8_thumblarge.jpg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    boat has a traffic barrel in back?

traffic%20barrel%20200.jpg
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    It needs to be WAAAAAAY more damaged... IMHO headless SoL will be just fine for post-apo level ^^

Yeah, but he doesn't want to get sued by Warren Spector or J.J. Abrams... :\

Vladino, you have to paint in a lot more pronounced lights and darks to depict the folds of cloth around her shoulder. Right now the entire torso looks far too cylindrical.
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, amazing response - great to hear your ideas guys, thanks! I'll definitely work on the statue and boat more, heard more people mentioning it looks like a car :D
    Ferg wrote: »
    boat has a traffic barrel in back?
    That's supposed to be barrel with explosives for the nitro effect :P

Here is the in-game screenshot so you have an idea about the real size..

promo_game01.jpg
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    Haha, it looks great sticking out of the water like that, really adds perspective to the scene :3
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Me again :) JUst throwing in new model.. did not have a chance to change the statue and boat model yet, but I'll definitely work on them more as you had some good points in the comments.

I started building the post-apocalyptic town on the water.. the normal houses will look like the ones in the picture and will be scattered around the level.. and then I'm planing to have few bigger structures like the Statue of Liberty to break the generic feeling.

As usual - please let me know what you think, thanks!

promo_town03.jpg

And in-game shot:

promo_town03_ingame.png
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    personally, i think the blue watery stuff is unnecessary. It kind of looks weird underwater.
  • doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    I agree, change the hue to green and make it algae :)
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys! :) I added more moss and algae to the buildings and tweaked the water a bit as well.. what do you think?

The blue water stuff at the bottom of the town base texture is for blending in the game - as the underlying water layer has the same texture so it will look like it's fading into the depth.. easy trick taking no performance penalty and not using transparent texture :)

promo_town03b.jpg
    ..and in-game..
    promo_town03_ingame2.png

Oh and some stats as well.. the town has 501 tris including the base and i used two 512^2 textures which i may resize to smaller ones to save texture space, at least for the base..
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great! Has a cool vibe to it :)

I would maybe go ahead and change the color of the water, at the moment it looks like pool water. Darken it up a bit so it looks more like a ocean. Also, if it's supposed to look like New York has been flooded, it would be cool to be able to see some structures undernearth the water surface(if you can do it with your budget)

Keep up the good work!
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    this is looking really really good, ingame shots make it all the better to see.
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for your comments guys! I'm still trying to find the final style and colors for this one.. got some great concept art and trying some ideas from it.

I'm finding it really hard to settle for a certain style and colours, any ideas how to decide? :)

boats15.jpg