Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Spectre's Bride - Michel Gagne Style -WIP

Hey everyone,
Here is my second scene I just started on besides my old west town. My plan is to have a like Little Big Planet, 2.5 D. Im not ttexturing the buidlings, as UV'ing them would be insane, but will texture most everything else. Right now, it's just ther beginning of the town, but will continue in to a graveyard, then in to the hills. The last major building is based off of a sketch I did based on this style, but not too happy with it, so going to make changes on it. Any comments/critiques are greatly appreciated. Thanks - JamesSy03
village2000wtdg.jpg
post11.jpg

post12.jpg
post13e.jpg
post14.jpg
post15.jpg
post16.jpg

Replies

• stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    texturing wouldnt be too bad on that select all the front polys unwrap them with a planar unwrap and then do the roofs/sides in the same way you could have them all unwrapped in way under an hour
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    There's got to be an easier way of doing that. I'm thinking alpha masking for the front to get the profile, then normal mapped roofs, maybe?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Why unwrap at all? You've got no textural detail on anything besides your windows. Just throw a plain black texture over the entire model and then stick some window textures on planes. Easy.

Tis looking nice. A bit Patapon and a bit Misadventures of PB Winterbottom
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    so you traced the image with splines an extruded? i guess it works for this, i would make it much thinner tho if you dont plan to do any detail to the sides,, make it more like cut out plywood
  • JamesSy03
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,
    First off, sorry about the forbidden code posted on my earlier pics, problem with the image hosting servie, but it's worked out.

Progress has been slow on this until I get my old west scene figured to where I like it, but I added a church, tombstones, and a mountain creature with a mouth that the player would go down to lead to another level. Can't post pics on on the reference as it is copyrighted, and not mine, as this scene is based off of work from Michel Gagne, sorry. I also made the models thinner like plywood as Rhinokey suggested, and don't plan on texturing the buidlings, but thanks for the suggestions. Any comments/ critiques are greatly appreciated. Thanks - JamesSy03
    Gagne_1.jpg
    Gagne_2.jpg
    Gagne_3.jpg
    Gagne_4.jpg
    Gagne_5.jpg
    Gagne_6.jpg
    Gagne_7.jpg
    Gagne_8.jpg
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    u could probably halve your tri count if you just used floating geo
  • JamesSy03
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,
    Decided to post pics of the re-done buildings with floating geo like Raider suggested, and started the underground lair when the character goes down the stone monster's mouth. Not much, but as I said earlier, progress will be slow until my old west scene is done. Any comments/critiques are greatly appreciated. Thanks - JamesSy03
    Gagne_1-1.jpg
    Gagne_2-1.jpg
    Gagne_3-1.jpg
    Gagne_4-1.jpg