Home Technical Talk

How do you sculpt eyes?

[Deleted User]
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
[Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
I feel immensely stupid for asking this. I think I'm learning in reverse and knowing less about 3d every day. :(

But I'm trying to sculpt realistic human eyes and it's just not working. I don't get it. I don't know what goes on in that area or something. Is there a proportional or structural rule to follow to build them correctly? I tried putting spheres in for the eyes and trying to sculpt the lids around that, but I keep ending up with either horrendous bug eyes or featureless smoothness, and I can't figure out how to fix it. Sometimes I think it looks okay, but then the eyeballs themselves are off-center.

How big is the eyeball itself supposed to be in relation to the rest of the face and how far back does it sit inside the eye cavity? How far across the orb do the lids/openings go? Where does the inner corner fall in relation to the outer corner, depthwise? Is it supposed to be level or does it go in or out from the other one? And for that matter, where's the other one supposed to be in relation to the sides of the face?

I'm pretty much clueless about that whole region and I can't find anything that explains it in 3d, only guides for drawing it from the front or the side. I don't get what's happening in between.

Replies