Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Japanese Cutey WIP

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
BigErn polycounter lvl 11
I started some new work, just the last couple of days, from a base mesh I found on the net a while back. Its based on the work of Shunya Yamashita. I`m not normally all into all these things.. until I started work on it :poly124: I see the attraction heh..

So, I`m needing the help of polycounters to try and get it towards something super sexy. I did this so far. Advices, paintovers, wotever, just need help going forward on proportions, etc. you guys know what I mean!

wipday2.jpg

to end up looking something similar to this character :poly121:
6550-550x-Cocona.jpg

I dont normally show work this early, so going on out on limb.. :poly122:

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    general proportions look good, but you will want to widen the hips and shrink the ribcage to match the concept
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Not to mention cleavage. Your model has widely set boobs, the pic has pushed up cleavage. :D
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    If the boobs aren't as big as the head you ain't doing it right.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh, ok I take your point, I know its all about the boobs! :) I guess I should have mentioned I was going partly down the 'generic start' but now I think its fairly generic now, Its probably time to start going a bit crazy, cheers!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work mate, my crit is that the eyes are too tilted. Too much of an angle.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby : agreed, I`ll look into the eyes as the character progresses. I have changed concept from above, but its still a concept of Shunya, a fabulous artist!

SimonT : Aah yea, I do have that in ref somewhere, pretty similar, I just like the curves this guy draws!

I`ll try updating tonight. :)
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So... dispite updates on here things have been progressing. Still needing some guidance regarding refining the character. I do intend on this being added to my reel asap for job apps!

I have gone for a different design to orginal, so its settled on this :
    shunyao.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-05-04

©Shunya Yamashita - http://shunyama.web.fc2.com/

Realising the errors of my ways I have enhanced the Boobs! :poly124: As will delight many :) ..just to be true to concept of course!!

Boots are basemesh for sculpting next, clothing is WIP. Very WIP.
    wipday7.jpg

Yes.. boobs,.. But here is a closeup. Hair/Eye lashes/brows are all standin stuff atm.

wipdaycu7.jpg
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Shrink her rib-cage/boobs way way down. Or maybe just reshape the rack. But the rib cage is way big.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    her upper torso looks much wider than in the concept. otherwise im loving it
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I figured that something was wrong, I think it is the upperbody, chest. :) I`m on it.

It was a quick fix, but think it works much better! I`ll get on with everything else, unless there is anything else anyone spots, let me know!

wipday71.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The boobs are considerably larger then the concept (both concepts) and too spherical. The eyes are larger, and the facial features (mouth, nose, eyes) seem to be too low on the head/face.

In the concepts the legs are longer then the torso+head, in your model the legs are shorter.
    The top of the head is too wide, pull some verts in around the tails.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    looks much better. aside from whats been said above it might be nice to add some tight bevels to the ornaments around her neck breasts and leg. so nice flat chamfers would really catch the light
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks for the replies, they are very helpful and I will address pretty much all of them! The ornaments are still block in, so are quite a few of the things, belts etc.. I have moved onto a bit of sculpting, just to get the rough shape. First pass on just about everything which can be brushed at this point. Won`t spend too long as I need to model a heck of lot more stuff. Here is what I got to anyway, more work later if I have the energy!

wipday81.jpg

Oh yea, modelled the detail around the leg, that was painless :poly124:
    Cheers,
    Paul.
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude to me something weird is going on with the stomach and and butt. heres a paint over hope u dont mind the stomach is kinda sticking out and the butt looks huge from the back maybe its just the small underwearnq8xn4.jpg
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey marlfox8 , I see what you mean, and will address both areas on my next round of sculpting. I think its just maybe tricks of the light, and some might just be inacurate anatomy study :) I`ll work on it.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great stuff Ern, she has some great style and personality!
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is an update for anyone who is interested.

Updated anatomy as per crit, needs more work, especially on arms, hands which are untouched.

Modelled /sculpted Boots, belts, buckles, waist belts and refined quite a bit of the other stuff. Still loads to do, anyway, the pic..

:poly122:
    wipday10.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    dont cover up the buttcheeks all that much! loved it when they were peeking out at the top :|
    came a long way in a very short amount of time.
    good job!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I think the head may be too round... or the chin is too sharp. Also, its a little girl's face on a woman's (HOT) body... makes it look weird. It may be because of the baby fat cheeks.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    starting to look awesome! cheeks do look a bit wierd in that 3 quarter veiw... the cheeks on her face
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK woogity : thanks! :)

divi : I`ll try and show a bit more butt when I get the belt finalised ;) a shame not too I know.

roosterMAP : I will look at the head in more detail later, once I have done a lot more of the modelling. I have spent ALL day working on some other additions which you will see below. I agree the chin might be too sharp, I changed it only yesterday.

As for a little girls face on a hot womans body..... hmm I might be wrong but thats kinda like 90% of most manga characters, I find it a bit creepy myself, so will try to avoid that, just want to get the 'cute' look first.

Ged : I`ll check her 3quarter cheeks :) Ta.

frontquartsmay8.jpg

• leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    great work so far only comment i have is this

nd75f4.jpg
    face looks a little flat from the side
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree the face is probably a little flat, cheers for the input, I`ll look into it. I have a nice list :)

I did quite a bit yesterday, started the wings, and 1st pass on the arm cloth. Nearly on the home straight. Will go through and fix up what people have mentioned as issues on here as soon as all modelling has been at least blocked in, or 1st pass at least.

frontquartsmay9.jpg

• BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, no crits, Guess i must be doing something right.. or wrong. Ohwell, on we go, redid the face today, bigger, better eyes, used the concept art for the iris, pupils, better way to gauge the accuracy I guess.

Fixed up the belt, added pink belts and buckle at shoulders, changed head size, finished off most of the wings backpack, and holding straps for it. Oh, started goggles.. and thats just work today. :poly122:

see what you think..... ( applied some post to the screenshot :poly124: makes it look a bit more 'arty' or not, nevermind.)

may10wip.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-05-10

Yes, and a details shot...

may10wipcu.jpg
    By bigern77 at 2010-05-10
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    much better love those wings really gives a sorta innocent vibe
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Hey BigErn, looks a lot better than before. Good work!

I'm not going to write anything about anatomy, since I know jackshit about it, but I guess that ditzy look must be hard to nail. Before the last update she was looking a bit mentally retarded :p

I am hoping that you will work a bit on the wings; they look very soft compared to the concept and at the moment they look as if they were made out of plastic. Throw in some additional edge loops and it should look a lot better. There's also some slight pinching that you might want to correct.

Other than that it looks pretty damn cool. I'm not a fan of these kind of Japanese designs (I'm more of an Tsutomu Nihei/Takehiko Inoue kind of a guy) but I'm really digging the goggles in this one.
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    I LOVE Shunya Yamashita's ladies, and can't wait for you to finish this :) That being said, here's some feedback. You should check out your proportions compared to the original. Generally people are 6 to 7 heads high. Anime girls tend to be 7 to 8 heads high. So, I elongated her legs a little bit and tweaked the meatyness around her hips. I also made her ribs smaller and pulled her shoulders outward more. Just remember that women's hips are widest at the pelvic crest, right where the crotch ends. Other than that, good work so far :thumbup:

proportionw.jpg