Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CTHLU Environment [Zbrush Heavy] [WIP]

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Dark-Ninja polycounter lvl 7
Hello I heavily use Zbrush in my work. I only use Max and Maya to make simple base meshes and use Zbrush to do most of my work, I texture in it as well. Here are some WIP shots to show what i have so far any critiques and comments are welcomed.

I'm currently working towards making this environment

Concept (Not Mine)
gardenxz.jpg

Block Out
Made in Maya but i like using Max as a quick preview of scale and my textures. Everything will eventually be in UDK
blockjw.jpg

Zbrush Renders 90% done on most of them

smallarch.jpg

mainarch1.jpg

statuebase.jpg

loopvd.jpg

hornv.jpg

vasep.jpg

Z Sphere2 in progress

treezsphere2.jpg

cthlu1.jpg

cthlu2.jpg

I will update as i go
v ^_^ v

Replies

• BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    The brick archway looks really nice! Overall, I'd say just keep adding more detail and deterioration. Some spots with green for the foliage and more tiny detailed cracks would help the pieces out a lot. They feel a tad too clean for the environment they reside in. Overall looks pretty good!
  • Timothy_graybill
    Love the concept, so far all the models look really cool. I like to model in zbrush too but I'm not so good at texturing in it. do you know where I can find good tutorials on texturing in zbrush.

cant wait to see it finished keep it up. I will be following this tread now
  • Dark-Ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the concept, so far all the models look really cool. I like to model in zbrush too but I'm not so good at texturing in it. do you know where I can find good tutorials on texturing in zbrush.

cant wait to see it finished keep it up. I will be following this tread now

thanks for the support ^_^

My mentor Nick Marks made a series of videos for unearthly challenge which can be found here http://cgartist.magnify.net/
    watch all the ProfessorXXX videos some of the best around for going from zbrush to game res around

oh and heres the link to his unearthly thread
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=66390
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    awesome, you better do this justice! :)

Your diffuse is rather dark, even if it is a "darker" stone it still looks very dark, One thing to keep in mind is if you start with a dark diffuse it will be very difficult to make it bright with lighting, which means you're already limiting yourself in the range of colors your final image can have.
  • Dark-Ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW wrote: »
    awesome, you better do this justice! :)

Your diffuse is rather dark, even if it is a "darker" stone it still looks very dark, One thing to keep in mind is if you start with a dark diffuse it will be very difficult to make it bright with lighting, which means you're already limiting yourself in the range of colors your final image can have.

Thanks for your advise ill definitely keep that in mind
    im going to bake my matcaps into my diffuse so ill definitely try and lighten them through that.
    im still going to do a final texture pass to them to get some more color in them to get rid of some of the monotone-ness to the assets
  • illadam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illadam polycounter lvl 14
    Looks Good. I want to see them all together.
  • AJR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AJR
    LOL! Someone overcame their stage fright...about time.

Be sure to send an email link to Jerry as well.

As far as your scene, I would say that overall there is a lot of blue. Make sure you add a hint of blue to your spec color. That will help balance out your entire scene. Find your smile! :D

- AJR
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    That archway looks really sweet mate, really nice stuff! I'm looking forward to seeing more, I really like the concept you have there.
  • Acumen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acumen polycounter lvl 18
    while im absolutely loving the texture work so far, the modeling side kinda feels rushed. it looks so randomly forced. i think i know exactly what you wanted to achieve: something old, abandoned that suffered some time and has irregular shapes and stuff.
    so, this is what i feel you wanted to achieve but it looks as if you "just" pushed here and there a bit and called it "irregular abandondedessery".
    it has that wobbly feel in the pieces that give of a clay vibe more than heavy stone or metal. i think you're off to a very good start but maybe your work could benefit from having another look at some fitting references :)
    should be worth it !
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Acumen wrote: »
    while im absolutely loving the texture work so far, the modeling side kinda feels rushed. it looks so randomly forced. i think i know exactly what you wanted to achieve: something old, abandoned that suffered some time and has irregular shapes and stuff.
    so, this is what i feel you wanted to achieve but it looks as if you "just" pushed here and there a bit and called it "irregular abandondedessery".
    it has that wobbly feel in the pieces that give of a clay vibe more than heavy stone or metal. i think you're off to a very good start but maybe your work could benefit from having another look at some fitting references :)
    should be worth it !

Agreed. I like the idea and the vision you have for this, but the models seem rather unfinished, especially this one. Feels like you finished your zsketch, built your unified skin and wrapped it up. The wall pieces could use a little more love too, the cracks don't look convincing, doesn't feel like it's made of stone. Plus it looks like it's missing details comparing to the concept, like this piece feels a little bland cause it's missing the nice trim around the arc, for example.
  • sakechi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sakechi polycounter lvl 7
    nice! i can't see wait to it done.