Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sewer WIP

Replies

• duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    nice work but im not diggin the outline effect, id ditch it
    also, along with the missing paneling, your walls are one color while in the concept the top part of that right wall is a different color
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    I do like the line effect, but it's killing your water and foreground IMO, try lowering the opacity with a constant / power and see how it looks, if not i'd probably ditch it. Also get some height fog in there so there's a bit more depth, and a depth of field in the world post processing.

Got tonnes of potential this scene has.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry fella's but outline is staying. Mr. Bear though, I'll look into that and see what it'll do. I do have some height fog but I might need to pump it up a bit. I do have DoF in there, but it's reversed to blur the foreground a very small amount. I had it blurring the background before and it looked just OK. I'll increase the strength just a little for funsies and see how it does. And duoxan, I modified the concept a little as per Vig's suggestion. I like how's its turned out so far but thanks for the input.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    looks great! try and mess with some post process to see if you can match the overall tone of the scene

it also appears as though you are missing out on the color tones of the concrete. on the top it is gray, then it splits and goes to the yellowish color on the bottom.

only other nitpicking ive got for u is that you are missing a few of the small details like nuts and bolts.
  • Visceral
    I think you are overdoing the outline a bit, now it just looks very Borderland'ish, a style i didnt like. Maybe if you thinned it out a bit it would be moore passable.

How ever, im a big fan and your judgement is the one to go with here ;) Good Luck man.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    @Oniram: Yea still working on that Post stuff. Some of the concept has been modified on the right hand side, but the left is greyish a bit. It just so happens that the blur effect that increases the bloom strength and color uses a lot of my light or something and makes it really yellow. Somethings I'm still tweaking.

@Visceral: Yep a Borderlands style is what I'm going for! Thing with it now is the outline does need some tweaking so it thins in the distance.

Hoping to have another pic tonight. I did some searching on the UDN forums and I have a few things to try to get the reflection to not suck in the water.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update with a new outline method (Tell me if you like it) and I took out reflections because they don't work. I really REALLY want to fix it. I just don't quite know what to do on it...

UDK8.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    SewerCrit.jpg

1) These are bigger on the concept.

2) The concept has more sub dividing rings.

3) The vent is kind of big? The camera might be too close but even then... It also looks pretty saturated. The little tanks on top seem to be the right saturation. Is this the tool shader?

3a) Speaking of toon shaders you might want to change the line color to a dusty brown color instead of black? Maybe set it to the same color as your fog so it doesn't stand out in the distance?

4) Missing the concrete different types/colors of concrete.

5) The concrete loops pretty noisy and almost like grass or thatch. The concept is pretty smooth with almost no bump at all.

6) These little details are missing.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    what vig said plus that fog looks like ass cheese, tone it down half and make it a lighter more saturated orange if use it at all i prefered the scene without tbh
  • fyran
    Great feedback from Vig as usual :) what I would suggest is where vig says change the line colour to the colour of the fog. Could you not have the shader change/Lerp from a dark colour (near black) to the colour of the fog/background using something like the distance blend nodes. Thats if you're planning on keeping the fog. it will make it look like the fog is affecting the lines.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Morning Polycount. Didn't quite get as much work done this weekend as I wanted. I was sick Saturday and part Sunday, and most of yesterday was spent cleaning my house for my brothers open house. I had to follow that with some freelance work! Woot woot.
    So here are two versions, one with fog and one without fog. The one without fog needs some extra color correction but basically it's to see what you guys think of a fog less scene. Most of the changes I've made involve some World property settings and some other lighting type changes.

UDK9.jpg
    UDK9A.jpg
  • Veko
    the backwall from the vent is much steeper in the reference
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone. I'm just about done with this piece. This is my latest update. I still appreciate and welcome any C&C, especially any post effects/color correction. I can tweak those numbers pretty quickly. Anything else might have to wait for another time. It's time to move on to my third and final environment project for my portfolio. It's going to be fantasy based and since I loved Oblivion, it might be realistic with a lot of bloom!! Haha, back to the concept art world!

UDK10.jpg

Thanks everyone for the comments. You all helped me take this project to another level!
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Came on really well from your original. If you have time i would modify the following to make it look better,

- Scale up the yellow pipe (forgot the name) and the red control box, it's bigger on the concept. Add a decal with dirt just beneath or around the area of your little notice sign, maybe even duplicate a bit on the further down sections, decals will break up the tiling big time even more so.

- Last thing is the top left of the picture, i think it's showing too much sky, in the concept there's barely any view of the sky, it looks a bit open at the moment on that side, i'd prefer it if you pulled the edges along on the ceiling or the roof higher so there's just a few inches of sky showing.

Other then that it's a really nice scene with tonnes more potential with the things i brought up for when you come back to it, definetly unique ^^;

Can't wait to see your fantasy scene take shape too!