Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Glock 17

Hi all,
first gun model a Glock 17 and crits would be super helpful and any tips on how to get the noise on the grip looking good would be really appreciated!

GLOCK_17-01.jpg
GLOCK_17-05.jpg
GLOCK_17-02.jpg
GLOCK_17-03.jpg
GLOCK_17-04.jpg

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The slide looks too thin [from the slide catch and ejection port on top, how I judged] and overall too smoothed on the sides. Front sight looks too small or mis-proportioned.
  • Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get rid of the "made in japan" text on the right side, it contradicts the Austria text on the slide.

I wouldn't model the noise personally, I would make it in photoshop and then run it through the normal map filter, much easier and you would get better results.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    You're using the Tokyo Marui G17 as a ref it seems. That's a faithful replica and not really a problem but keep in mind they changed the trademarks on a few areas due to japanese laws. Try this site for photos of the real thing: http://www.pixagogo.com/DeicideNBF

Keep the grip noise and the text on the model! I'm glad I'm not the only one who models those things. They're impressive to look at on the high poly renders and bake down fine too. The grip noise does look to be a little too far back on the model and should be more centered. You're also missing a pin on the frame which could help fill in that area.

I'd also work on this area on the back of the slide, it could use some refining.

Otherwise great work on an accurate, smooth model! The proportions are real nice and there's a good amount of detail. Modeled in text is always a nice touch. :)
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great. Pardon me but how do you get noise on the high poly anyway? Is it just really high poly and displacing all the polygons?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Using the noise modifier with turbosmooth is one way. I'm sure you can achieve results with a displacement map as well.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    That's a very early G17 - there's no finger grooves on the frontstrap (front edge of the grip), or indents on the side of the grip for the thumb. It also doesn't have the later generation's accessory rail.

I'm not a Glock guy personally, but a lot of people are, and with a few tweaks this model should make them pretty happy. Nice work. :)
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, thanks for the comments guys.

@n88tr:
    your right i think the slide could do with thickening and the front sight does look too thin now you mention it. What do you mean 'too smoothed on the sides' the sides of the grip or of the slide?

@rang3r1
    the noise its not modeled its just a cellular procedural map, i found that just noise be it fractal or regular just didnt look like the reference so i was hoping someone could suggest another method besides just noise??

@racer445
    thanks for the crits, ive watched a fair few of your tutorials and i really like your work thanks for taking the time to go over my model. Your right it seems i was using a replica as ref, i dont know much about weapons so i just picked one and modeled it as accurately as i could!! the ref i used is here http://www.modelguns-worldwide.com/glock_17.htm thanks very much for your link as well i will definatly use that to revise my model

@ calabi
    thanks man, the noise is done as a map i just used a multisub object one of the material with bump and one without and just assigned the polys i wanted to have noise to the material ID with the bump map

@garagebay9
    thanks man, i will be revising my model from this feedback before i make the low poly!
  • Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A trick Racer told me awhile back is to take a high resolution picture of asphalt, scale it down, desaturate, and then make your normals from that. It worked pretty well for me.