Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Joe Cabot" Character

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
Hello everyone!

It´s been a while since I posted something and here´s my latest personal WIP. It´s Joe Cabot character from Reservoir Dogs. For those who are not familiar with the movie and/or the character:
10919407_tml.jpg

I´m working on cleaning the old stuff from my portfolio so I might try to do the whole band.

I don´t have too much time to work on it, but I already do have lowpoly version, normal mapped (although the head maps will change. I need to sculpt in the hair and generate map again) and started on texturing. I´ll try to make some nice screenshots and post asap, but for now take a look at the hipoly model.

joe07.jpg
joe06.jpg
joe05.jpg
joe04.jpg
joe03.jpg
joe02e.jpg
joe01s.jpg

The expression in his face is rather clean now, yet the likeness will be more obvious in finalized version (I´d like to try to make a face-rig).

See you later with some progress.

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    dude this is ace. please see us later with the progress.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    this is flippo. this is really crocular. somdnantariantulencent.
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    WOW, fucking awesome work, really like it. Just checked out your site too, nice, really cool way you started the Deniro sculpt... going to give it a try here in a few.

Also, how do you approach your clothing? it's really convincing, haven't seen too many nail clothing like this. Thanks and please update:)
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Super bad man. Thats so good. I just want bigger shots/closeups. And color!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Woah this is really snazzy, great job on this. I'm looking forward to seeing how the lowpoly turns out!
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great! Theres a lot of character in it already - it should look great when it's finished.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Wow man! Great Job! Looks awesome. You keep getting better and better at these.

The only thing I see to crit is the front of the pants look too full. Sort of like they are not fitting snug against his junk, like I'm sure they would. Anyways, Looking awesome. Makes me want to do a full character sculpt now.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Impresive! it looks very natural!
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx, OrganizedChaos, DKK, FAT_CAP, Cap Hotkill - thank you very much for the support, fellas.

killingpeople - I didn´t understand a word, but thanks :)

ENODMI - thank you very much. That portfolio is very outdated. Deniro model is from around april ´09. I´m going to move all the stuff from the gallery section into mausoleum section. Joe Cabot will be the first thing to go into my new gallery. And as for clothes - I´ve been working a lot on clothes lately for clients. I´m still not 100% happy about the jacket sleeves so it might be changed later. I´ve been using lazymouse a lot lately, with standard brush (or inflat brush, depends whether I want sharper or smoother fold), focal shift usually around 90-95 and very low brush intensity. That way you don´t have to be perfectly accurate with just one precise stroke building your folds one by one, but rather create major forms with multiple strokes. Later on higher subdivision levels when all the major forms are laid you can use higher brush intensity and define the folds a bit more. Pinch brush might be good to use too, unfortunately Zbrush crashes quite often when I use pinch brush (usually the first stroke is quite risky), so I´m trying to avoid using it. Also, crashes are one of the reasons why I´m not recording the progress.

ScoobyDoofus - bigger? I´m working on 1680x1050 resolution so I was worried it´s going to be way too big. as for colors - I´m about to move on to the diffuse map. I had something before (not much though), but I had to do some changes on hipoly and make new bakes, so I´ll start with diffuse texture from scratch.

BradMyers82 - Thanks for comment. I was following couple reference pictures, but it was quite hard to find a good one that would fit his figure.

And now some progress..:

xport-low011.jpg
    xport-low01wires1.jpg
    xport-low021.jpg
    xport-low02wires1.jpg
    xport-low031.jpg
    xport-low03wires1.jpg
    xport-low041.jpg
    xport-low04wires.jpg
    xport-low05.jpg
    xport-low05wires.jpg
    xport-low06.jpg
    xport-low06wires.jpg
    xport-low07.jpg
    xport-low07wires.jpg

It´s all lowpoly model, I used Xoliul´s viewport shader, it only has normal map attached (the glossy ones are using specular color). Later when I have some time I´d like to make fancier screenshots.

See you later with some textures.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nothing to crit dude, looks great! Looking forward to the diffuse and spec.
  • Sirdelita
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    that bake is amazing, great work!
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Nice! Your lowpoly and bake look great! and thanks for sharing your clothing approach in Zbrush, I appreciate it:)
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can't wait for those textures :)
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn. Nice work.
  • Godemper0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa. That is high quality work. The likeness, the cleanliness of the bake; just unbelievable.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Very impressive likeness and quality. Really looking forward to more work from you.
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice:) his clothes are awesome
  • ApolloX88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ApolloX88 polycounter lvl 6
    Really Kickass. The only thing that I noticed that bothers me a little, is that the folds on his jacket where the elbow bends feel a little accordion-like. This is only from the front view though, it looks fine at every other angle. It almost looks like how a jacket would look if the sleeveswere rolled up.

I love this piece though. Amazing job.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the support!
    ApolloX88 - thanks for critics, I see what you mean. I was going to rework that area in hipoly and rebake, but I got busy with other things and I was especially looking forward to texturing this so I left it the way it was. But thank you anyway.

And now, after a very long time, progress:
    joeprog01-normals.jpg
    joeprog01-textureswip.jpg
    joeprog01-wires.jpg

I decided to try 3 point studios real-time shader (now it reminds me that I wanted to put a label on the screenshots) this time as I felt like I could control the result a bit better than with Xoliul´s shader. However, in 3PS shader my textures look too dull. Therefore any crits, comments and advices are more than welcome. As you can see, I´m not a texturing expert, so any advice will do.

PS: It´s way too late now so I want to upload also texture shots sometime tomorrow if I find some time left.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    as of right now i can't see any fabric pattern at all on the clothes, most have something like that.. maybe get some textures, crazy bump / nvidia filter and overlay it very subltly over the top, it will help scatter the spec + give the gloves less of a bland feeling.

As for the colours just google some jackets check out some wear and tear on them, fadings etc and try translate it across to yours :D Other then that it is a damn nice bake
  • demilich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demilich polycounter lvl 8
    nice sculpting
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Man, that's some excellent sculpt work. Maybe I'm just pointing out something about the render settings but I can't stop looking at how the jacket's backfaces suddenly become invisible around the belt and under his pectoralis muscles.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Still lookin' good so far.

I find that the engine/shader you are using has such a massive impact on the final result, you're better off deciding early on what your target is, and aim exclusively for that.
    Something I've tweaked for Marmoset will look way off in Xoliul´s shader or 3Point or UDK and visa versa.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    I love you and everything you do! :D (esp your hardcore modeling skillzz)

Why not try photosourcing them textures?