Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help me build a p51!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
mxlplxn polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys and gals, I'm modeling a p51 mustang for my modeling for games class.

I'm working on the wings currently , separating them so I can rebuild the body without having to smooth the wings into the plane.

tips, comments, advice, flames, whatever you have, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks yall :D
P51Mustang_High01.jpgP51Mustang_High02.jpg
P51Mustang_High03.jpg

Replies

• TheBlade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking very nice :)
    but my only proplem is that the body of the plane does not look too smooth in places, or isthat just me?
    haha,
    but itslooking nice :)
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    You HAVE to go back and fix a lot of smoothing issues.

Right now this model looks like a P-51 built out of sculpey. You obviously have decent references - work on the nose, the area around the cockpit, the wing root, and the roots of the tail empennage. Consider separating the tails and wings into their own smoothing groups and objects, since in real life they were separate pieces bolted together with small fillets around the junctions. There SHOULD be hard edged seams in some places.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Proportions look a bit wonky, too. Especially the rudder and elevator fins. What I would recommend is to start over, and block out the shape with simple geometric shapes, turbo-smoothed, just sticking into each other, but with smooth surfaces, and correct placement. Then go working on top of that, re-topologizing and working on the intersections and details.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start, as bbob said, try working on the proportions, if you can, try get ahold of some really good blueprints
  • mxlplxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, Thanks a ton for the feedback!

I've gone back and separated the wing and tail so I can float them. along with rebuilt most of them, ill have some screenshots up later tonight!

I started working with some overlaid orthographic views, my eye is not quite as exact as I always hope it is, so thank you for suggesting that :D

Thanks!
  • mxlplxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few updates. did a serious overhaul as well as making a major art direction decision.

I've decided to go for a more Mad Max theme for the sake of bluffing some part for time, and exaggerating features.

I'll be adding big bolts, and more plates here soon, but im really in a time crunch since i have to have this thing high, low, textured, normalled, and in an engine by this coming Monday for my final project!

Thanks again for the advice guys!

High002.jpg
    High001.jpg
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I like it much better. You've obviously decided to go off the pure realism path and make a more stylized version of the plane, but even with that your proportions are vastly improved and the aircraft looks much more recognizable.

Not sure any pilot would willingly fly that thing with the current front canopy you've got, though. 400mph wind chill in the face is freaking cold. :)
  • mxlplxn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, here's another update, sorry im taking so long on these, busy busy week!

High2.jpg

Unreal1.jpg

Spookyplane.jpg

The dramatic lighting is just for fun lol

I'm going to put this model on hold for at least a week, i've seriously been working on it nonstop, but im slow as hell, so for the time being I cant stand to look at it anymore.

Thanks again for the feedback, sorry if I didn't address issues you guys mentioned, time constraints forced my hand lol.