Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P. Shaolin Monk

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
af3d polycounter lvl 10
Hey everybody,
So my portfolio doesn't display much cloth folding, and people love to see that so my next character will be a Shaolin monk. The goal I had in my head was to stay fairly true to a real Shaolin Monk's robe- but at the same time make subtle differences to make sure its not the same robe you have all seen a 100 times. Heres the concept I roughed out last night, lemme know what you guys think in terms of palette and design.

Jz52S.jpg
www.andyfoster3d.com

Replies

• Titus S
    You have to think more how the contour of the clothing will look like with those folds. The D rag he has right now has "folds" on it, but the outside of the cloth hasn't conformed with the folds which can just look like a design of the cloth.
  • af3d
    Offline / Send Message
    af3d polycounter lvl 10
    oh yea I realize the contours are going to be different-the final model will be dynamically posed and a lot of the cloth won't be sitting at all how it is in the concept- basically i just added that value to break up the flat image and make it a little bit more interesting- I suppose I should have given it more purpose but I did this fairly quickly and mostly just wanted feedback on the palette and general forms.
  • Titus S
    af3d wrote: »
    oh yea I realize the contours are going to be different-the final model will be dynamically posed and a lot of the cloth won't be sitting at all how it is in the concept- basically i just added that value to break up the flat image and make it a little bit more interesting- I suppose I should have given it more purpose but I did this fairly quickly and mostly just wanted feedback on the palette and general forms.

I thought I read somewhere that you were looking for fold critiques O_O

Overall, the amount of detail you gave him seems to be just some sort of NPC. Try and ask yourself all sorts of questions to pull out different designs.
  • AaronF3D
    Haha..Titus S that was me AaronF3D. These names are getting very confusing though.:)
  • af3d
    Offline / Send Message
    af3d polycounter lvl 10
    Alright so I added a little bit more to look at here- take into consideration I will be embroidering patterns on the final model- I'm just really anxious to get started on the 3D. I'm also not going for crazy unrealistic detail that you would find on say - a street fighter character. I want this guy to be believable, and typically Shaolin monks attire is super simple and humble. If anyone has any cool suggestions feel free- I love crits.
    NQMV8.jpg
  • af3d
    Offline / Send Message
    af3d polycounter lvl 10
    It's been some time since I posted my concept for this project and finally I have had time to work on it. I've begun sculpting with the head, let me know what you think.
    V0cag.jpg