Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Molten axe

Here is a molten axe I am working on. The tips of the blade will be molten and the rest rock like.

First images are high poly and second ones are low

highpolyaxe.jpg

highpolyaxe2.jpg

lowpolyaxe.jpg

lowpolyaxe2.jpg

Replies

• Legolizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and here is the wireframe

wireframeaxe1.jpg
  • Legolizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a redo of the low poly. With wireframe.

lowpoly1.jpg
  • Legolizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the Static mesh in unreal with textures

unrealmesh.jpg
  • ApolloX88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ApolloX88 polycounter lvl 6
    I think this could benefit from more detail on the blade of the axe. Right now, It looks like stones crazy glued together. Maybe make bring it down to 3 pieces and dad some straps. Straighten some of your edges on the blade, it looks a little dull in areas.

Also, I am not sure if you are going off any concept, but the glowing edges suggest a futuristic weapon, but the rest of the axe suggest something more primitive(Stone, metal, wood.)
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah the blade hue and texture really suggest that this is a laser and not so much a molten weapon. Molten rock is more orange and yellow then red. Take a look at some reference.

ss15_2.jpg
    ss13_2.jpg
    sulfuras4wm1.jpg

I dont think it would hurt to add more molten elements throughout the handle as well. It would be hard to assume that the molten areas would be concentrated completely at the tip of the blade and not having veins running throughout the ax as well. I think you should push the texture with more contrast and also add some edge details. It's missing a lot of the wear and tear on the edges that will sell it as a battle weapon.
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea i agree more orange, detail, and also more color
  • torontoanimator
    well it looks decent for an axe, but as it was mentioned before, the red really looks more like a lazer than anything molten. Maybe if the whole blade was made from some form of cooling molten rock itd be more convincing!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with what has been said above. Also, is that wood you have on the part holding the axe blades? If so, I'd get rid of that. If it's a molten axe, then the wood would just burn off. As for the Rock parts, right now i get the feeling that it's some sort of sci-fi axe because it looks like metal and the blade looks like a laser. Try to work on the stone some. It will definitely help.

The handle. It sort of looks like marshmallows squished together. Add a nice linen cloth texture in there and add a little wear and dirt. Someone holding that axe in battle would have it dirty in no time, especially since it is white/beige.

The bas/end part. It may just be me, but it seems like it would get in the way when swinging the axe. Perhaps make that part smaller? I think it looks good, but perhaps it's a little large.

Ok this may have been a little brutal, but you're off to a good start! Keep it up!
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start, try working on the materials in the texture, to really define what is what, also give the metal a more localized scratch/detail layout so it isnt the same texture over all.
  • Legolizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all your feedback. I took a look at the head of the axe and realized it just was not up to snuff. So I redid the head piece.

Here are the redesigns. Again, thank you for your comments :D

Low
    lowpolyhead.jpg

High
    highpolyhead.jpg
  • Legolizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so my normal map is doing something strange when I try to back it.
    No idea what is causing this.

The green parts and the fact my normal map is showing the uv map as well

box46normalsmap.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    There's a button *somewhere* to toggle rendering of the wireframe IIRC. As for the weird baking of the geometry: you need to explode the model.

Usually when a normal map is baked, it uses the first piece the rays hit. So when you're baking part A you have a part B inbetween the cage and A, the ray hits B before it reaches A. This causes B's normals to be used for A.

You can notice this very well where the rubber band is over the top (-shaped piece. Temporarily moving over the rubber band fixes this.