Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Giant's Club

Hey all, I'm currently creating a Giant's club based off of this concept I've found. Currently in the process of sculpting the wood in zbrush. Thinking of attaching various trinkets such as an anchor or other fairly large items that a giant might randomly attach to his weapon. Not following the concept to the very last detail.
earlyrender.png

hansclub.jpg

Replies

• P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    i don't think a club would have those small branches coming off of them as they probably would have broken off long ago
  • eriotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess that is true, any suggestions on things I can add to make it seem extremely huge? I'm thinking off adding an anchor attached to the rope, perhaps from a ship the giant has crushed and keeps as a trophy.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd just stick with the concept for now.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    The end parts aren't working, whatever those rounded ends are. The concept nicely addresses some very flat, sharp ends where the wood is split, but you have some sort of rounded off ends that aren't very "wood-like".
  • eriotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick update on my club. In regards to sharpening the ends of the wood does anyone have any suggestions? As of right now I'm not sure if I can get all that sharpness in zbrush. From my understanding I might be able to export out a lower res subd from zbrush and create some edge control in max. Then take it back into zbrush and project the original high onto the new model. Does anyone know of any methods that might not be as complicated? Thanks!
    render3v.jpg
    render2w.jpgrender1q.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    if you want it to seem huge, lose the feathers. if I was a giant and wanted a club, i'd just pick up an entire tree.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah the feathers makes it seems like a normal-sized club, mainly because it doesn't feel like the birds would be huge as well. Regarding the sculpting , really nice work defining the wood. To get sharp edges in Zbrush 3.1 people used the pinch brush, and variations of it.
    In 3.5 there are some hard edge tools that you could use to get some sharper edges and then smooth it down if it's too sharp.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    the feathers are cool, but if your worried about scale, then change them for a fern, which will also look like it came with the log
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Human skulls would give some nice scale to the club :D
  • eriotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shot1q.png

Currently sharpening/flattening some of the bumpiness so I have a more solid form. Then I'll add in some wood like textures to break up the surface a bit. Thanks for all of the ideas on managing the scale.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Hey there,

I think you've gone a bit overboard with the surface of the wood. There's knot in strange places and the cracks are far too large. There also doesn't seem to be the same feeling of distress on the end of the club where the rocks were hammered into it. Looks more like the wood is wrapping around it.

The rocks also don't have the same characteristics as the concept. They're just kinda like clay balls with some nifty cut tools used to get flat portions... I would work to try to get more interesting shapes into those rocks. Really study the concept of your pieces and think "why did the arist make the decision to put these lines here and not where I did?"

That usually helps me when trying to make something look tits.

Hope this helps,
    D
  • eriotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update on my club, didn't have the opportunity to redo any of the sculpting. There's still noticeable seams on the model which I'm working to cover up.
    shot1l.jpg