Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ice Dragon

Hi guys just like to share my latest work "Ice Dragon" with everyone. This is inspired directly from the McFarlane's Dragon toy series and with some modification. The model is done in Maya and Zbrush, final low poly model is 7.1k, textured in Photoshop with one 2k x 2k UVmap for textures, "Will upload them if been requested". I'm seeking any critics and comments, thanks guyssmile.gif.
Wire frame
i76f6v.jpg
Close up
30k5c2w.jpg
2a68a2s.jpg
166dmxh.jpg

Replies

• PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Looks really cool. The only part of the design I don't like is that way that the tail ends. I think I would prefer more of a taper or ending in more of a dagger, or something that would make the tail more of a weapon.

Great work.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    cool man, can we get some close ups? maybe a wireframe or two? will get better crits that way. For starters I'm not sure what the giant ice thing coming out of his back is... which is probably exactly what it is, a giant icycle - it seems a bit out of place however.

I think the face is awesome and suits the beast greatly. The legs could use a bit of work, they feel very blobby at this point (moreso the bottoms of the legs than the tops) I like the fin part on the tail but i'm not sure both fin and spikes fit together on the tail.

just my 2 cents. take it or leave it.

Great job though, its really appealing.
  • ultragpu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated with close up and wireframe now. Also the lower legs are suppose to be covered with furs so they have this chubby appearance. But appreciated for the thoughts guys.
  • Soft_Hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just love the overall look but the fur on the legs could use work. To me they resemble more like tree trunks.
    I suggest giving the fur a more layered look.
    1206392629-4908-0.jpg
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the tail looks weird maybe a bunch of spikes.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    The dragons tail seems like it would be suitable if it was strictly a water-based dragon (sea serpent). Make it jagged or something like other people have suggested. Also, its claws don't seem like they're suited to cling to ice. Perhaps you could try making them bigger.
  • ultragpu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look into it.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Your presentation is letting down what looks like a pretty nice model. Get some better lights in there, and don't be afraid to colour them to indicate the kind of environment you'd expect to see it in.

I'd get a strong, very pale yellow directional light on it, along with a light-blue ambient light at low intensity (turn "ambient shade" down to 0 as well). Maybe another directional light behind it for a rim light.

Your black gradient is killing the silhouette as well. Maybe try a sky/ground coloured gradient instead?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Needs a better render. Try mamroset or something.