Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Roy's Garage Bandit Hideout

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
Roy's Garage
Fallout 3 style

Roys_Garage_004.jpg?t=1271983493

Goals: My goal for this project is to emulate the Fallout 3 art style and to make a portfolio piece that shows that I am adaptable to different styles. My target audience for this piece would be Obsidian Entertainment who is currently making Fallout 3 New Vegas. I want to have a small but powerful scene that shows all the qualities that Obsidian would be looking for including: Texture painting that emulates their style, good use of topology, strong modeling skills, and strong daytime lighting skills. I will be importing this scene into Unreal but in the meantime I'll be using Maya and Marmoset.

What is it?
Roy's Garage is a small garage that resides in post nuclear war Las Vegas. In the Fallout timeline Las Vegas wasn't directly targeted by the nukes. The garage has been abandoned and bandits have taken over the plot and fortified it against their enemies. The lower level bandits stay in the garage which also has been fortified. For the purposes of this project the Garage cannot be entered. The bandit leader stays in a camper on the side of the main garage. There are various barrels and old crates in the yard as well as a work bench and various shelves set up by the bandits as protection. The entire yard has been fortified by metal plates and barbed wire over the fences. The primary goal of the main character would be to kill all of the bandits and get a weapon and gear from the bandit leaders camper.

Asset List:
Garage Building
Camper
Tires
Oil Barrels
Shelves
Workbenches
Flat crates
Wooden Planks
Metal Plates
Barbed Wire fences
Cinder blocks

Tire Racks
Shop Sign

I'll post my concept art and a little bit of reference later tonight.

Replies

• PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Good luck on the piece. The barrels right now feel a little too generic, the rust seems just slapped on instead of dripping down the sides or applied realistically. I think it would also help if you gave the drums a purpose. For example, they were oil drums from an old mining corporation or something like that, so you can add logos, wear and scratches of moving and storage, oil leaking around the cap, etc. Stuff that shows that you put some thought into them.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Good planning. Those barrels do look too generic. And they also don't look like metal. they actually look closer to stone more than anything else. It's just too noisy. Smooth is out a bit, and work on that spec map. Add dripping rust, and some dirt at the bottom. Everything is just too uniform. The rust you have there doesn't really make sense. Why would moisture build up around the ridges, and not on the ground?

Ok, I might have been a little brutal here, but I'm anxious to see how this turns out! Keep working hard!
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll work on those textures and get them looking more realistic and more metal as well. I'm thinking that it's the spec that's causing it to look like concrete now, would that usually cause that kinda problem?
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, ignore the text, I'm just having fun. ;)

Roys_Garage_005.jpg?t=1272006551
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    It's a little better. I still get the feeling that the rust is too uniform. And yes, spec maps can cause this sort of issue. Look at it this way. Rust doesn't not have spec. It's flat, matte. Bare metal is very shiny. Increase the contrast between the two and you've got a far better spec map.

Are you looking at references? Most oil barrels were painted, so you can more easily distinguish rust from metal because of the contrast in color, and the chipping paint. Here is a good example of shiny metal vs. matte rust.
    stockphotopro_0084062UER_old_rusty_oil_b.jpg
    rusty-oil-barrel.jpg

Just google up oil barrel or look it up on flickr. If you've never heard of www.flickr.com before, check it out! It is a website where photographers from around the world post their best work. Absolutely amazing.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Remove the loops at the sides, make them with normal maps, Use the now extra polyes to add more detail to the Dents.
    You will get good results this way and balanced poly cunt.

exampleq.png

;)
  • RexM
    I'd say that you should move on from the barrels now - I mean.. it's a barrel. You can only make a barrel so interesting. Your time is better spent on other assets on your list. :) Keep it up.
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thank you guys for all the info, I'll press on with some other assets and continue to fill up the scene for now and I'll post more later tonight, I've added to my list as well because I really want to fill up this scene. I'll go into the barrels more later after I get some other assets built up.
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for late responses, I was getting ready for my schools spring show. But now that that's all taken care of Here's some progress. I mainly got everything blocked out and layed out the main pieces. Now I'm going to finish all of the large props including the trailer and the buildng. Then it's on to more textures, all the fun stuff! After all this stuff is textured and done I'll go in and do some small props to fill up the scene and give it some life. As always feedback is greatly appreciated!
    Roys_Garage_008.jpg?t=1272243273
    Roys_Garage_007.jpg?t=1272243274
    Roys_Garage_009.jpg?t=1272243276
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a bit of progress. I still have to work on the building textures as well as some other textures. Uv's for the next couple of days.
    Roys_Garage_010.jpg
  • 3DLee
    This is looking good; I like the cracked pavement edges. Your rock models look kind of funky atm - they stand out a lot (or some of them blend in too much).
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress on textures for my environment. I'm working on textures for the garage now.
    Roys_Garage_011.jpg?t=1274165398
  • Drav
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    You will get good results this way and balanced poly cunt.

best feedback ever :D