Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SOV-Graf Bastion. Vehicle texturing.

Hey there Everyone! Good day. I'm asking for a bit of help with a model I'm texturing.

I've been texturing for videogames for a bit. But Since I'm self taught, There are every now and then things I've never done before. I haven't find a good answer searching around the internet, so I thought I'd ask about a couple of things to any given charitable soul that's willing to help me out.

Ok. Long Story short, I'm the lead designer for an independent videogame. Shades of Violet. We're revamping the cinematics, and for that we've shelled a cinematic model of a key vehicle in the game. The Graf Bastion.

So far I've just started to texture and block out pieces. Here is how it looks currently:

grafwip.png
graf2.png

This one's a cinematic model. Every trick is good. I'm using 3dmx 2009. The game's style is fairly cartoony (think Kingdom hearts). The Ship itself is supposed to be a sort of exxagerated flying nation, kilometers in height/width.

I have two sets of questions.

About materials:

1- I would like the ship to have a sort of Iridescent (like a bubble) effect. Since it's supposed to look like it is made of porcelain. How can that effect be achieved? I'm pretty much aiming for http://3dsmaxrendering.blogspot.com/2008/12/iridescence-part-ii-bubbles.html but I still don't quite get it how he did it.

2- Is there a better way to emphasize shadows on the gold statue? It's either illumination or materials. But I'm not completely sold on my own work.

Recommendations:

1- What do you recommend to further show the scale of the ship by itself?
2- For you texturers out there. How can you add detail when you're trying to avoid the usual tricks like Wear/tear/noise. any tricks?

Thanks in advance for this. And thanks for your time.

Replies