Home Unreal Engine

[UDK] Curved platform, how to?

pumbaa
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
pumbaa polycounter lvl 15
Hi

I'm creating an environment in UDK (link to thread) and I'm having problems figuring out exactly how to solve this problem, as you can see in the image the train platform is slightly curved and Im unsure how to exactly recreate it.. BSP? Static modular meshes, if so, how to get that veeery slight curving right? One huge static mesh?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

karlberg_station.jpg

Replies

• Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    huge static mesh!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wicked, thanks.

So a follow up question that Ive been thinking about for a while but never quite come across until now. As you can see in this image the platform has a triangle pattern, on a tileble asphalt texture for the platform, how do I get those patterns to align and follow the edges without any serious stretching?

Ke1_020218.jpg
  • Bruno Afonseca
    make the platform curved on your editor, but make their uv's straight so they follow the texture correctly and tile!
    you can look around for race track modelling tutorials, it's pretty much the same thing
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    splineloft actor + fake, simplified collision
    maximum get!
  • Parkar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar polycounter lvl 18
    pumbaa wrote: »
    Wicked, thanks.

So a follow up question that Ive been thinking about for a while but never quite come across until now. As you can see in this image the platform has a triangle pattern, on a tileble asphalt texture for the platform, how do I get those patterns to align and follow the edges without any serious stretching?

Ke1_020218.jpg

Model the mesh such that the edges follow the white lines. This would minimize the stretching of the lines and avoid lines getting a bend where it it would otherwise cross a mesh edge.

If the bend is as minor as in the example pictures I don't think you will run into any issues as long as you have enough segments even without my tip above.
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Parkar: Yah I tried a quick test of that and it seems to work well since the platform
    does not curve that much as you suspected.

Thanks for the answers everyone.

So I've tried a little modular modeling for a house and another question has appeared:
    When texturing modular pieces, do you texture them so you can line them all up however you want with each other or do you texture them to only tile with the pieces they're first intended to be connected with?
    Texturing them to all line up will leave me with more options for setting them up and creating new buildings but with a higher risk of it all looking tiled since the texture will look the same at every border edge of every piece. This particular house dont have any kind of floor dividers where I could hide the tiling.

Building:
    house_modular_trainstation.jpg

Thanks
  • Parkar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar polycounter lvl 18
    I think it kinda depends on the pattern of the texture that covers the majority of the edges, If it's a smooth concrete or painted surface you probably won't see to much repetition either way. One thing you can do is blend two versions of the texture using vertex colours to be able to break up repeating patterns.