Home Technical Talk

Bamboo Wacom is lagging in PS

I got a Bamboo Wacom (CTE-650) not so long ago adn its working mostly fine but one problem im finding is that Photoshop is Lagging sometimes even on what i would imagine would be relatively "light" brush strokes.

Q #1: Do more expensive wacoms perform better e.g. Intuos or Cintiq?

Q #2: Does anyone else find that the Bamboo wacoms are"slow" as in the lag out Photoshop quite easily?

:poly005:

Replies

• vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey tarickTDS, I use the same Wacom and have no problems in Photoshop for the most part. The only time things start to perform slowly is when the file is very large or if the brush type is very intense (high scattering, texture, dual brush, combination).

To make sure it's actually the Wacom lagging have you tried using your mouse? If it is also slow it is probably just photoshop lagging.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    tarickTDS wrote: »

I got a Bamboo Wacom (CTE-650) not so long ago adn its working mostly fine but one problem im finding is that Photoshop is Lagging sometimes even on what i would imagine would be relatively "light" brush strokes.

Q #1: Do more expensive wacoms perform better e.g. Intuos or Cintiq?

Q #2: Does anyone else find that the Bamboo wacoms are"slow" as in the lag out Photoshop quite easily?

:poly005:

A#1: It is better than Bamboo wacom according to many people who use it here. But in my honest opinion if you are to buy an expensive wacom than bamboo. Learn how to draw on it at first while you save like 1400$s approx to buy a good one with the screen and be done with once and for all. Than again this should be the long term plan.

A#2: Bamboo would work same as any other wacom except for the ones that are with the display screen.

Reply to Core of the topic:

Yes it happens to me also. As soon as I start drawing in PS it would work fine for a while. Than it would start lagging. Few people here told me that its a ram and CPU issue and has nothing to do with the tablet.

You might want to try other softwares such as Gimp, Sketchbook pro to be sure if you judged the problem right or not.

I had no problems with Gimp so far and I started using Sketchbook pro. There were no problems related to lags and no messages of "program stopped working."
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Lots of variables can cause lag, its just a matter of pin pointing them. like vcortis pointed out - the most obvious PS culprits are large file size and large/expensive brushes.
    -a few other reasons for lag that I have come across:
    - Version of PS itself: I found I had to do a lot of messing with settings inside PS CS4 to get it to run smooth vs. previous versions of photoshop.
    - If you are running windows Vista/7 I think there are some performance settings to tweek within the windows settings to help improve lag.
    - Lastly I have experienced greater lag when I have the display in PS to full screen canvas mode ( hotkey F).

./endrant
    maybe this helps?
  • tarickTDS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok lots of good info and a few peeps helping me put together for stats on this. Basically you guys are saying its most likely not the fact that its a Bamboo and getting a better wacom prolly wont fix problem. However id still like to hear from more people using a bamboo just to confirm this is not just a Bamboo Problem.
  • adamlewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using Windows 7? Some of the built-in tablet features of the OS can cause lag effects to manifest.
  • tarickTDS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vista mate...

Here are my PC specs;

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ (2 CPUs),
    Memory: 3326MB RAM
    Page File: 4390MB used, 2461MB available
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
    Display Memory: 1906 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 499 MB
    Shared Memory: 1406 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
  • retromaticon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retromaticon polycounter lvl 8
    Hello,

I don't think it is a problem with the Bamboo itself. It is most likely caused by not updating Photoshop. See Photoshop CS4 was shipped with this unfortunate bug which caused brush lag. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Just update photoshop and the problem should fix itself. If it were a hardware issue, you'd find the tablet lagging in other programs. You have a decent amount of memory and a decent graphics card, so these won't be causing the problem.
  • pables
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The same happened to me, I don't remember exactly, but there was to options of the Bamboo I had to deactivate. When you press and hold in the canvas it appears a circle(its a loader) for some options, and for me that was what caused the lag, because when I was about to stroke, the pc thought I was pressing and holding :S. Try this:

By going into Pen and Input devices in the control panel and going into the settings for "Press and Hold - Right Click" and disabling it.
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    pables wrote: »
    The same happened to me, I don't remember exactly, but there was to options of the Bamboo I had to deactivate. When you press and hold in the canvas it appears a circle(its a loader) for some options, and for me that was what caused the lag, because when I was about to stroke, the pc thought I was pressing and holding :S. Try this:

By going into Pen and Input devices in the control panel and going into the settings for "Press and Hold - Right Click" and disabling it.

This. Fixes it every time so far for me.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    If you're in Vista/7 make sure you disable the native windows tablet crap. It just slows stuff down. I have a Intuos 3 at work (top of the line at one point) and still get the PS stutters sometimes. . . But turning off the windows tablet stuff fixed a lot of it for me:

Control panel>

(Step 1) Administrative tools> services> Find the Tablet PC Input Service.

Right click, stop the service.
    Hit properties on Tablet PC Input Services, turn to “Disabled”.
    Apply and OK.

(Step 2) Programs and Features > Turn windows features on or off > turn off the Tablet PC Optional Components
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Which version of photoshop are you using? If it is CS4, then expect it to be much harder on your system. CS4 is the most power-hungry PS ever made to date. Try CS3 or even CS2. CS2 was the fastest I've ever used, and the differences between CS2 and CS4 are very little.