Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Custom Unreal 3 Character (Quadruped) Feedback needed

Hi all, i have been creating a custom character for unreal 3. This character is a quadruped. The reason i did this project was to investigate the uses of non-bipedal characters in current games vs bipedal characters.
There are far far more of the later but for no clear reason.

polycountv.jpg

polycountruncycle.jpg
img717.imageshack.us
runallvsmall.jpg

Anyway this character is in the unreal engine and functions fine, what i really want feedback on is:
A: The appearance of the character
B: What impression does it give you i.e how does it attack
C: Would you want to play as this character
D: What else would you do to enhance the character.
E: What name would you give this character

plus i forgot to mention, i will be presenting the character in it's own type of deathmatch game, its the same rules as deathmatch but the creatures gore each other, it's very fast paced and there is a LOT of killing. Huge kill streaks can be built up and taken away just as quick. It has a custom weapon which kills on contact nearly everytime.

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    straight away id say that the mechanical elements are really letting this piece down. compared to the heavy build of the animal they look flimsy. The rams especially dont look up to the job. the fact that the metal texture is grey and mono-tonal doesnt help.

A bit of quake style metal digging into bleeding flesh could look quite off on this guy.

so far as means of attack go id say its upper horns . The tusks maybe also. its neck looks a bit too thick for it to be able to aim them though, especially as they are angled downwards.

Otherwise it looks pretty cool, not a creature you'd take lightly
  • rich_py
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi thanks for your reply r_fletch_r i agree with everything you said.
    The metal texture def needs work, however i thought i would just mention that i had to make the back legs kinda thin because in the unreal engine the character will be seen from third person and if the back legs are too big they cover up all of the rest of the character.
    But you are right, and i like the idea of the blood where the metal goes in to the body thats cool.
    P.s you were bang on with the attacks thats exactly how it was designed primary attack with top horns a sort of gore type attack like a bull and the lower tusks for secondary attack once the opponent is down.
  • rich_py
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also guys one one of the most important things i'd like to find out is if you guys would actually want to play as this character.
    I dont mind if you wouldnt but i'd like to know why, same goes for if you would.
    Im using this as a sort of survery/testing for my project to judge the success of the character.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn´t.
    It looks more like one of those annoying easy to kill enemies that usually show up in groups to make them more dangerous.

I like the bulky chest but the way the head is attached seems impractical.
    He can´t turn it or really aim his horns at his enemies...All he can do is run in their general direction.
    The horns and tusks seem too thin and fragile to do damage against bigger opponents and even if he was only fighting against his own kind, he couldn´t hit his ememies while charging because of the angle they are in.
    I think a different kind of horn like those of a Ram for example would work better.

One thing that kind of bothers me is the front foot.
    Right now it has a flat foot, but with the way the creature moves, a digitigrade would make more sense in my opinion.

Hope, I didn´t sound too harsh. :)
    This is some nice work (especially liking the walk and run cycles) but with a little work this could be even better.
  • rich_py
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not that im saying you are wrong or anything i respect your response but i wouldnt have thought that bending the neck would be good at all, for example if he is going to be like a battering ram, he wants the head to be linded up exactly with the spine n hit it square on, if it hits with a bent neck thats gonna be a broken neck easily.
    Im also not sure how the horns appear thin or fragile.
    Thank you for your advice thought, like i say i dont disagree with you i just perhaps have a different perspective on it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    A: It looks unfinished, to be honest. The back legs look too plain. They don't really look mechanical. They look more like an adjustable stand or robot legs on a toy. His eyes don't make sense. There's like a huge eye opening, then a black sclera and yellow irises, but there's no room in his skull to have eyeballs big enough for that black part to be part of them. His front legs have sort of human feet with 3 toes instead of the sort of legs that quadrupeds generally have.
    B: I guess it runs into you and tries to stab you with its horns. But it has no neck. Animals in real life that gore stuff with their horns have necks. Watch some videos of how bulls and deer use their horns and you'll see.
    C: No. It's stubby. And it doesn't appear to be able to do anything besides run around and bump into stuff.
    D: Make it look more feasible as a real creature. Right now, I can't imagine how it would manage to eat or drink. Get some reference of similar animals and make it more like them.