Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Hiten Mistry - Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I'm pretty much finished my portfolio. I have in total 5 environments and 4 vehicles, with another 2 environments and 1 more vehicle done by the end of this month. I'm currently going back and rendering/texturing a few things to make them look a bit better :) I'm currently looking for a full-time job so if you think I'm a good fit for your studio let me know :)

www.hitenmistry.com

MistryHiten_J127_1200.jpg
Final_Render_1.jpg
shapeimage_4.png
F4U_ClayRender.jpg
shapeimage_3.png
shapeimage_5.png

Replies

• vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Your link is broken, it just redirects you to polycount. Aside from that your work looks really good, the one thing that is bugging me though is the lack of wireframes. I think you could really benefit from having more shots of your wires.
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The link to your portfolio is incorrect.

I love your work, was wondering the other day what happened with the Bombay scene, and there it is!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice environments , but are those in game or in 3d render? in case is the first what engine is that? can we have more info on polygons , textures etc?
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis: link fixed :) I'm adding wire frame to my to-do list right now, thanks for the advice !

mathes: Thanks man !

NAIMA: thanks, i'm be sure to add additional info on my sets.

SasoChicken: Thanks bro ! i'll be updating this thread with my new env some time this week.
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pumbaa polycounter lvl 15
    tuk tuk! I wanted to create one of those for my last India project. I see you got the same propane tanks as me lying around :) Your scene pretty much kicked my Dharavi scenes ass though.
    Very nice portfolio work you got.
    Your drawing style really reminds me of my own

Is that a poly artifact in front of the hood on the car?

Cheers
  • mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    Dude, I'm not in the habit of blowing smoke up peoples asses, but I want to say that your work is very inspirational and you've always been more than helpful at giving behind the scenes insight.

Thanks
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pumbaa : Thanks man ! yeah that car render has some problems, it's on my to do list on things to fix :)

mickyg: thanks bro, i'm glad that my work is inspirational to you!
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    Some nice looking pieces, Polycounts on the stuff would be nice to see.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Well glad to see you finally made it around to porfolio time, you've been cranking out some amazing work. I agree that you should show some wires and texture flats, personlly I'd like to see them. Best of luck to you.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland: Thanks ! added polycount info to my To-Do List.

ajr2764: Thanks bro ! wires and texture maps added to to-do list.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is some nice work you have here. Going along with what everybody else said, information about the projects would be very nice to see.

Also..this is a nitpicky thing, but I didn't even realize you could click on the images to go view more images. Something as simple as having a border on the images may clarify that.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    little bit more info on polycounts etc as people have said, but dont clutter it, i like the art first simplicity...deffinatly wont stop you from getting jobs thats for sure

maybe a new lighting setup for the scfi env...currently preffer the grey box setup... if you want to keep it at night i would suggest strongly underlighting it from street level would be much more dramatic
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol: thanks, sure that seems like a good idea. I'll put a "CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL RESOLUTION" just like how you would see it on an individual page.

SHEPEIRO:thanks for the advice, I'll planning on re lighting the scene with much more of a industrial feeling look on the lighting part :)
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    You are the man!

Love your texture work! Nice job on the website. Do you need a mirror for your textures folder? I'd be happy to mirror it on my server so people didn't have to deal with 2shared.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, i'm glad you like my textures :)
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can download texture folder from the dropbox link too, but if i ever run into problems i'l send you an email.
    I'll be changing the link on my site to the dropbox link soon.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    i saved your website to my favorites quite a few months ago.. been following your progress. very inspirational work.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats a nice idea, drop boxing an asset or two to show uvs etc would be a great...a mesh speaks a thousand images etc etc
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    The normandy and bombay pieces stand out really strongly as your main strength, perhaps a hold over from your photography days ? I think you need to present larger , clearer renders of hi poly work, folk want to really look close and see where you bodged it and where you controlled the forms, its useful to see more clearly how a candidate is accomplishing the end result.

Your color choices in bombay and normady are very strong, i think your texturing in general stands out as your main strength also your eye for authenticity shows through when basing things in the real world, it looks like you research stuff which is a big deal.

Your scifi, well I don't see the same eye for authenticity or realism, it feels like you need to research strong scifi films and set designs and work toward a more visible art style or building motif that you can riff on in order to make the designs stand out the same way your real world work does.

If you try this, it may also help beef up your hipoly skills and you ought to do more color specularity work, mess with shaders in the UDK or Crysis or something wildly used so you build up an awareness of how to use the tech to accomplish more authentic materials and tricks that are not achievable through 2d and 3d alone.

It's good stuff though, theres a lot of promise in the majority of the work, hope you find somewhere that will look at that rather than just your games industry experience.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your input Kevin !
    High modeling isn't something i've done a whole lot, but over time i'm pretty sure i'll have more HP pieces in my portfolio. Texturing is really my passion i enjoy it a lot, I hope one to just be a Texture Artist.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    was browsing through and nice portfolio. One suggestion I would make is being able to click your name and go back to the home page. Its just more accesible than going to portfolio and being redirected there.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea !
    added to my To-Do list :)
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having as much of an awareness of the hipoly side of things when aiming for a texturing position is a big win. Texture artists are a dying breed and there are often positions for people willing to specialize in this area.

Solid texture folk have been tough to find for many years and at the current level of technology with normal map art, its tougher still than it used to be.

If this is your aim, get into UDK more, learn how to make your textures lighter and more milky to make the best use of Lightmass and accentuate the normals more, let them pop more.
    Darker texturing obscures too much with GI type lighting solutions where a lot of the power of the scene is coming from bounce lighting.

There a lot of companies using UE3 and they need people who understand how to produce textures that make the most of lightmass as it requires a much lighter hand with less emphasis on handing painting so much 3d shading.

Best of luck to you, I really do love those Bombay and Normandy scenes, its some of the most authentic period and region specific texturing I've seen for a while.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    oh wow
    solid work

especially i like the bombay scene <3
    if you have some more shots of it, or texture maps whatsoever
    i would appreciate if you post them for inspiration

best regards
    snowinchina
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin: Being a Texture artist is a dream job, which is a long ways a way. But i'm sure over time i'll be in a studio with my dream job :) As for now i'm happy to say that i'll be working at Digital Extremes starting next week :)

SnowInChina:
    Thanks bro, i dont have anymore shot, but if there is a texture u really wanna see i can upload it dropbox. which one you want ? :)
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    thanks

i would like to see the corrugated iron
    (right border)

congratulations on your new job btw

greetings
    snowinchina
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicely done and well deserved
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats! +1 on the well deserved comment also.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    grats on your job at DE, great group of people!
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Coming in late on this--congrats on the job and thanks for sharing your work. I especially find these last comments about working with UDK illuminating (no pun intended) and match with my own experiences with working with Lightmass. I was coming at it from the level designer perspective and found myself heavily favoring certain textures over others and I think that explains a lot of it. I appreciate it because I'm looking at moving back into building assets and textures for UDK so it means a lot, thank you.

Best of luck in the future and don't go leaving polycount behind just because you got your bills paid :)
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    congrats on the new job hiten ..
  • ricolas71
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ricolas71 polycounter lvl 12
    Wowh that's a great portfolio!

I don't pretend i can do the same but if i had to say one thing, it's the textures look to uniformly dirt. Especialy on Bombay. I tink it would increase the realism (it's already super realisitc don't get me wrong) to play with clean/dirt areas. Distributing dirts thing logicaly according to weather conditions, age, events, leaks, broken things...

I think this would add a little plus in the already awesome work.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    Hey those tutorials really impressed me. I honestly thought you were a industry veteren or something. It was a really good idea to put them in. Any employer looking at those would be impressed by your knowledge.

You've taken a great approach to building a portfolio. Making impressive looking scenes built of modular assets. Then you have breakdowns of these assets. This is what I've been attempting lately.

The great thing about making modular scenes as well is that they almost always look like more work has gone into them. When I look at your normandy scene it feels like a small town but analyzing it, I realise it's only a few buildings.
  • Snowman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quality work man congratulations on the job!
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Hiten, congrats very well deserved!
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Congrats on the job Hiten!
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    thanks man

couldnt wait for it :)

btw somehow i missed the tutorials section on your page the first time i opened it :poly136:
    great stuff in there
    especially your psd files. very helpful, thanks again

greetings
    snowinchina
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Your website link does not work for me.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm wrote: »
    Your website link does not work for me.

Your right, i'm contacting my hosting company right now. They have seem to be very unreliable.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, so you got a start at Digital Extremes..last time I was on the forums you was posting up your porfolio. Great show of what hard work can get you, as said before well deserved.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ajr2764 !
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Been meaning to say this for a while - Congrats on the job.
    Your work is fantastic and that Normandy scene has been in my Inspiration folder for a long time now.
    Hope all goes well at the job.
  • Fieldscarecrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fieldscarecrow polycounter lvl 11
    Hey solid portfolio, pretty inspiring! I like your realistic environments :)

All the best with the job!
  • spahr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    shades if stefan morrell in your work....i like :)
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda ,Fieldscarecrow, spahr: thanks guys !