Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ingame Characters for last Project

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
MFTituS polycounter lvl 6
hey,

this was done for my last project as a lead character artist.
After more than 10 years i'm not working at Blue Byte anymore - i'm looking forward to new challenges.
responsible for the style, look, pipeline, consistency and the many outsourcing partners we worked with there was not much left that i have done myself from scratch. so i'm happy to show you at least a few characters. neox has already posted his stuff - he did a big bunch of them with his co-workers.
the style was very clean and cartoony to support our squash and stretch animations.
big thanks to christian nauck, who did nearly all of the character concept art. you can see his incredible work on his blog:
http://sketchfu.blogspot.com/

Zoe:
done for the dialogue sequences (chars have some more tris than ingame figures). just did the head - body was not done by me! props go to the guys from art-coding. i just did some polishing:
S7_Zoe.jpg

S7_Zoe_fullbody.jpg

Ramirez:
first prototype character as a style test, which was used for the dialogue sequences also.
S7_Ramirez.jpg

Different ingame characters (up to 1000 tris painted on a 1024² map for each of them):
Misc_Chars.jpg

Horse:
nude horse which was used as a basis for all horse models.
S7_Horse.jpg

let me know what you think :)

Replies

• Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    WOW! looks perfect! great job!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    great stuff. dig the guy in the cloak
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the style of these pieces, I saw a lot of the stuff Neox posted too and it's definitely real pretty.

Great work!
  • mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are terrific, some great low poly work.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love these characters, so much style.

It looks like there may be some unused space in the texture sheets. I don't know much about character art, so was there a specific reason for this, or was that just easier for the artist to paint?
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    great style, and texturing!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    lovely jubbley
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sXe Seany wrote: »
    It looks like there may be some unused space in the texture sheets. I don't know much about character art, so was there a specific reason for this, or was that just easier for the artist to paint?

I noticed this too but didn't want to mention it since there could be a good reason.

Maybe it's so all UV shells are a matching texture density. Even if it is just wasted space, doesn't look like the final models suffer much!
  • cadyw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh nice work, that girl is really appealing. sexy yet not your typical cg character chicky.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful and Juicy!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great, nice style i would be concerned about the wasted uv space on these guys tho, could have added alot of detail for the same budget.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Nice! It's too bad there aren't more stylized games out there. I've never seen this game before.
  • akramparvez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akramparvez polycounter lvl 8
    very nice work.
  • MFTituS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much guys. cool to hear that you like the style.

about the waste of texture space some of you asked - you are right, it is wasted :), if you are looking for the perfect utilisation.
    this was the workflow for the chars, maybe it explains the wasting space:
    most chars have their own texture page. we have nearly 70 individual chars and some variations.
    men are seperated into three bodytypes, thin, thick and strong.
    priority was that all have the same pixel ratio.
    i have created the nude body model and skin texture for every bodytype, so it could be used as the base for putting clothes on them and leave the nude parts as they are for consistency issues. so it was not allowed to scale the parts a bit more to use the space more efficient.
    some guys have many asymmetrical parts and accessoires, so they use the texture to the max - other don't have. of course we could use the texture of simple chars more efficient, clone symmetrical parts and change the folds a bit or add some other gimmicks just to fill every hole. but for a game that is mostly played from a bird eye view and has so many characters on the screen, the additional amount of time would not be justified. at the beginning we also had plans for merging chars on bigger textures, using the space for head variations or maybe their tools.
    finally we left the textures as they were without filling the holes for different reasons (time, technical issues....).
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Great style and great inspiration. I wish more games pushed for more stylized work as realism is getting boring.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Thats really interesting to know about the textures. Thanks for taking the time to explain it :)

Really great work too! Love it.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    MFTitus: You rock man this is pure gold!! Straight to my inspiration folder!!
  • mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    Man, the horse is awesome. The modeling and texturing complement each other perfectly, no small feat for an animal who's basically one colour!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    everything is great,

but that horse stands out as particularly well done
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    in game screen shots?
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    very nice work. Thinking the hair could use a biiiiiiit more contrast. The horse ROCKS!
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wait, Im confused - they look awesome but I wouldnt expect such lowpoly assets to cast such clean shadows and overall shade so smoothly, considering how low the meshes are ? Surely those beauty shots are not realtime or in-engine are they ?

I am not trying to undermine the quality of the work (they really look great!!) but I am just curious of whats going on on the larger res shots. Or maybe everything is strongly painted in as directional stage lighting ? Maybe its even 100% self illum ? I dont see how the boxy jawed characters could look as clean in a game as in your screenshots.

Thanks if you can help me wrap my head around it all! Just a bit confused here! hehe
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These look nice! Really dig the style and the textures.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Fantastic style, really dig all the characters :)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    pior, check out the 2nd half of this post from neox.. it explains a bit

nice work MFTituS btw!
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely work MFTituS! love the style of the textures painted on em!
  • MFTituS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys for your support, you are too kind ;)

ZacD: nope, just beauty renderings, sorry :) read below for explanation...

P442: jepp, you are right, the hair is sometimes a bit plain. but i did it on purpose to make the face more pop out. nevertheless it is something that i could improve, thanks!

pior: you don't have to appologize - asking and beeing critical is a good thing ;) sorry for the confusion. btw - cool stuff in your portfolio!

these are all beauty shots. i can't reconstruct the ingame settings because we used different shaders, lighting techniques, the characters had a different setup than their ingame world to make the best out of these few polys. we used normal maps and more advanced stuff for most of the other assets - but not for the figures.
    so here are some screenshots out of max that hopefully explain your shading confusion:
    normals.jpg

due to the low polycount the shading will not look very good on the models. and without proper skinshader and other stuff it would not be easy to give the chars a lively look. strong shading would destroy the colours and it would be hard to achieve a lively look. so i tried to avoid strong ingame shading and paint all necessary information into the texture to support color behavior and let the texture do the work. this will look most of the time fine because our world has a constant sun direction from top and cube ambient lighting.
    to get rid of the rough shading gradients (interpolated vertex shading) that just makes the colour muddy, we tweaked the normals on some parts for better shading behavior as you can see on the face (stronger facial planes).
    e.g.: i want a redish bounce light on the bottom of the nose. dark shading would just make the colour grey. so i painted it into the texture and adjusted the normals so the planes will get light from top/ front. this results in less shading and more of the redish painted texture is visible. not very flexible under different lighting setups but works fine for our purpose :)

and for the boxy head planes -> we used chamfered edges on nose and the side of the face, so we have additional normals that we can tweak. it is similar to a different smoothing group, but with better control of the edges. smoothing groups have too harsh edges which don't look natural.
    and we can paint a more saturated edge on the chamfered plane which would be impossible with smoothing groups.
    on the bottom right you can see the tweaked normals (all green ones).
    tweaking normals takes 10 minutes and can improve the shading for such a low polycount. don't know if any other games have used them.
    hope it makes sense to anybody....