Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio]- Christian Davis- Environment

Update 3/30/11:

Hey guys I've updated my site, looking for some critique on the work and on the website itself.

www.christiandavisart.com

Thanks alot!

Replies

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Welcome to PC! I took a quick look at your folio. I think your hand painting is nice, I think you just need more stuff to show. The bazzar looks cool, but missing some breakdowns on it like wires and texture sheets. I think the texture size for your props are too large and probably should just be a 512, but its a portfolio so it's okay i guess :)

You should definetly put up a PDF and DOC (and even html) of your resume for employers to download instead of just a screenshot like you have right now. I also don't like having to click your resume in order to see it, it should show up after i click your resume button from your main page.

Concepts and traditional art... hmm... kind of a toss up because they're okay but at the same time, nothing great. Would be cooler if you had a concept and the 3d version of it

Lastly and personally, I would like to see all your bazaar shots on one page instead of having to click the thumbnail or clicking the next arrow button.
  • cdavisrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot Alexk, I really appreciate the feedback and I am definitely going to make alot of changes.
    thank you for looking at my site and take care.
  • cdavisrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I've updated my site, looking for some critique on the work and on the website itself.

www.christiandavisart.com

Thanks alot!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Looks great mate. You clearly know your stuff and I'd hire you ;) The website design itself is also clean and simple. I don't agree with Alex, I like not being forced to download a PDF that clogs up my temp folder. Good luck on the job hunt.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Wow your site sure does look like mine! But that's okay because i'm sure mine looks like someone elses who came before me haha, a very simple layout. Are you using verdana too?

Other than that the skeleton is my only crit, whatever is over the ribcage doesn't really read as anything other than maybe wispy fabric, either way it seems like it's half and half opacity and in random places, perhaps get rid of it altogether or make it look more like flesh than cloth. I like your other stuff a lot though, keep it up!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    that's pretty cool for the start :)
    hi-res stuff looks quite nice.

I would remove the non-related experience from your cv tho, cauz unfortunately it is useless for gamedev. Good luck - u've got some good stuff going on as for a beginner guy, I wish i had that when i was starting...
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see half of your site having character art, which you call props...

Instead of having those separate, include them into an environment instead of showing them off stand-alone like that. Don't just call them props, use them as props. :\
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Nice page, only thing I would do is to change the name of the second pic from "props" to "other work" or "misc".
  • cdavisrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for taking a look at my site, really appreciate it.
    One note is I still have some work that I would like to post up, but can't really show at the moment.

@Habboi: Thanks Habboi for your comment. Its funny cause you will start with one design for a website and think its simple and then realize it gets messy, so with this approach I tried to go for as simple and easy to read as possible

@DDuckworth: I can see why you might think that as far as the whole scrolling thing goes but that seems to be fairly popular and based off what I have seen here on poly count and various places scrolling is pretty easy and is less messy. No, for my main title page I believe I am using ITCavantgarde and for my resume I believe its just Kozuka Gothic.

@Matroskin: Hey thanks allot for your comments thats pretty freaking sweet! About cv you are probably right, and I will may fix soon. thanks alot!

@c0ldhands: Yea I wasn't diggin props either. Thing is they are used in a project that some other people and I are in, and for the most part they are props, so I think I called them as such. But would just having 3d work?
    al
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Looks very nice.

I'm not sure about the red sky/fog on the level though. The rest of the level doesn't seem to reflect it at all. Personally I'd just swap it out for a blue sky to make it more coherent and selling. Or change the lighting to reflect the dark red moody sky.

Maybe there's some background story I'm missing?

Aside from that I think this portfolio looks amazing. I like the stone stuffs.

EDIT: Also you may want to scale down the site slightly. I'm getting scrolling slider bars at 1680x1050 on the front page. Makes it seem messy as I enter.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    I have no idea what scrolling thing you are talking about? I mentioned the skeleton, that was all man haha.