Home Technical Talk

HTML messing up between browsers

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Progg polycounter lvl 11
Ok... so my website's structure is such: root dir > subfolders. All of the html files are in the root directory. However I am adding another element to my site and this has been added as root > newfolder (with a new html inside this). Now... in the coding of the new html page that I am adding for all of the links I have "../" to back up a directory and grab the css and javascript files from the root directory. This works perfect in Chrome... but as soon as I use another browser it blows up in ways I can't imagine. I can't get IE or Firefox to read either "../" "../../" or "/" to move directories or use the root directory. Here is an image to demonstrate what is happening.

Chrome works... Firefox can't find the css stylesheets to load the background.... and Internet explorer just commits suicide.

wtf.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I use ../ and ./ in the links on my site and it's fine in all browsers... not sure what's going on there?
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah. I really don't know. Like I said it works absolutely fine in Chrome...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My site seems to render fine too. The main pages (links on the left) are all in the root, but the rest of the pages are in a subfolder. And they all call the same CSS file, located in the root.
  • kdm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WYSIWYG editors FTW... sorry... couldn't help it. I actually use dreamweaver for my sites. its sets all this stuff up for me and works pretty well. Well... I have to tweak the code a little... but... are you using an editor? or writing by hand?
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Writing by hand. I'm old school... mostly because I don't own Dreamweaver. I got it thought, I had to update some stuff in the heading for backwards compatibility to the other two browsers... I guess chrome has it built in or something.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Have you checked it through the W3C validators for CSS and HTML? It's possible there are some compatibility errors?
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I actually just did. It checked out. The only thing that was weird was some function that needed to be changed for internet explorer. Don't know why it broke mozilla though.

I have another question for anyone that knows. I have a few small quicktime videos set to autoplay... and they play fine in everything but Chrome. I cant get autoplay in Chrome for some reason.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, this is because Chrome is awesome. Firefox is also good, but occasionally has hiccups with CSS. IE is the devil, the bane of every web designers existence.

As far as the quicktime goes, did you use the autoplay variable in the embed tag and the param tag for the object tag?
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Actually yes I did. Im glad you said that though because it made me find an error. :) Everything is resolved.... Except IE ... god I hate that browser... Gonna have to monkey with it. Formatting is weird.