Home Technical Talk

Maxscripting different textures

Is it possible to render a scene with different textures. The textures are prenamed jpg files, the rendered images should have the same name as the texture files. I have some scene setup with an object in it, the product. There are hundreds of labels (textures) that should fit the object.

Anyone?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, it is possible to do that.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yup can be done
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I would absolutely not do it that way. Thats a lot of rendering. Just imagine you render 100 images with the different logos. Send it in. Client says "oh, the cap on the bottle should be a sphere instead of a cylinder." or something. Now you have to render 100 more times.

Do this instead:
    Render the scene once fully lit in render passes. Make sure you render a UV pass. Then comp everything and apply your logos in post via 2d retexture with your UV pass. Few extra minutes to set up, but you only ever have to render your scene one time.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Slum: Can you do that entirely in 3DS Max? What's a UV pass?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    you can load a sequence of images as a animated texture in max i.e.
    difuse_0001.png
    difuse_0002.png
    difuse_0003.png
    just check that tick that says load as sequence or so when selecting the bitmap texture and with that simply render a animation with a similar output name, done!

Just a small hint to the original poster:
    Your initial post didn't contain a real question it was very vague and the reason MoP and I responded that way. Try to give in future your posts some direction so that people don't have to do all the thinking and writing for you guessing what you might want in particular. It's just common sense imo
    Like just ask where to get the info or scripts for stuff like that. Or if someone could hand out some snippets or tips on how to do that, or ask how people would do it in general to avoid all th work.
  • eddieadams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs

My initial question was just plane and simple. A yes or no would be satisfying. But the following answers sure please my desire to get to the end result. Indeed, if you read my post as to get to that result it is vague indeed.

I do believe the desired end result is clear. But as always there are a multiple possible solutions. The one you gave is sure interesting, and very surprising to do it that way.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    MoP wrote: »
    Slum: Can you do that entirely in 3DS Max? What's a UV pass?

Mop its a map with a gradient in the red channel representing U and a green gradient representing V. Map those onto and object and you sample the colour value to give you the UV coord that the pixel is mapped to.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    MoP: No, you can't do it entirely in max. But my reply to that would be, if your pipeline for delivering anything presentable ends in Max, something is very wrong :P A UV pass is a render pass with the UV coordinates expressed as RG color channels. In a compositing app, you read the colors as texture coordinates. So you can retexture a 3d object entirely in 2D.

post.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's pretty cool, thanks for the explanation. Never heard of that before!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I did an experiment with this a while back for texturing a pre-rendered scene in After Effects using a turntable animation of a highpoly model. It's not the most intuitive system, but with a full multipass composite and 2d relighting system you can get pretty stellar results without ever having to press a render button.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    I did an experiment with this a while back for texturing a pre-rendered scene in After Effects using a turntable animation of a highpoly model. It's not the most intuitive system, but with a full multipass composite and 2d relighting system you can get pretty stellar results without ever having to press a render button.

Motiva wrote an app to do just this. Its quite amazing. you can edit the texture of an object and all the GI and reflections update accordingly...instantly nutty stuff
    http://www.motivacg.com/colimo_en.php
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slums method looks interesting but I think getting the lighting correct could be hard? Dunno never really tried it, interesting technique tho.

I would probably do the render sequence, or save out scene states. Then use a batch render que to manage each render job and send them one at a time or all at once.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/batch-render-assistant
    This script is a nice little replacement for the batch render that comes standard with max. It allows you to check them all on or off, and select a series and set their properties together. The only thing it lacks is the net render button for that you need to launch the standard editor (button to the left of scan).
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Slums method looks interesting but I think getting the lighting correct could be hard?

Its piss easy :). you render in passes. UV, diffuse, lighting, spec
    Map your texture using the UV channel then comp the scene together
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... comping a bunch of labels will be pretty laborious also, hopefully you have a way to automate that process also?
  • eddieadams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImageMagick is used for creating the labels in 2D.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Well... comping a bunch of labels will be pretty laborious also, hopefully you have a way to automate that process also?

You could write a script in 10 minutes to automate that process in AE. The same for any other app.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Slum wrote: »
    You could write a script in 10 minutes to automate that process in AE. The same for any other app.
    and a additional 4 weeks learning how to script in AE and the need for AE and the commercial plugin that was referred to here.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Name the labels as an image sequence. import into AE and render the sequence

That said you might as well use an image sequence in max. and render like that