Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Blades series

Max count not much over 1000 tris, I finished part one of the series a few mins ago. I think only one needs a redo, the small curvy knife.

Other parts to follow.

MedievalBlades_1.gif
MedievalBlades_1_A.gif
MedievalBlades_1_B.gif
MedievalBlades_1_C.gif
MedievalBlades_1_D.gif
MedievalBlades_1_E.gif
MedievalBlades_1_F.gif
MedievalBlades_1_G.gif
MedievalBlades_1_G[2].gif

Mostly inspired by my work earlier in the day with some swords,

Sword_Trio_1.gif
Sword_Trio_2.gif
Sword_Trio_3.gif
Sword_Trio_4.gif
Sword_Trio_5.gif

Any improvement suggestions are welcome. I think I've improved a lot since I last posted my ACR rifle here... or you will judge for me lol. Thanks.

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Part 2 of Medieval Blades has been completed.
    MedievalBlades_2_1.gif
    MedievalBlades_2_1A.gif
    MedievalBlades_2_1B.gif
    MedievalBlades_2_1C.gif
    MedievalBlades_2_1D.gif
    MedievalBlades_2_1E.gif
    MedievalBlades_2_1F.gif
    MedievalBlades_2_1G.gif
    MedievalBlades_2_1G%5B2%5D.gif
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    You could optimize down this a whole lot. looks cool tough (:
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    I really like some of the designs but the polycount on these is just outragous if you were to put them in an engine. Also check for n-gons, I saw multiple ones on the bottom of your hilts.
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    Your first set the hilts are very very blocky, most seem like pure boxs with some cuts in them, round them out to make it look more convincing, most specifically B-G, your second 2nd post also has the same problem.
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    All I can say is don't forget that the handles are supposed to be held, so they should be rounder/scaled properly to fit a human hand. Some of them look too square or too fat to have a hand to around it.
  • Krynn72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I meant to post this over on your thread at halflife2.net, but you seem kind of inconsistent in how you're modeling. Blade A for instance has an edge that goes down the middle, which I am assuming is for texture mirroring purposes, but your others don't have that. And if you're planning on texturing each side separately, or even splitting the uvs on a different edge, then having that middle edge on those couple of models is a waste of polygons since its not changing the shape at all.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know in part 2, B and C I will probably have to redo but I don't see how else I can minimize polygons. This series is sort of a test for me in that regard as well. I understand I could merge verts for the blade edge, that's a good idea I didn't think of. Can I get other suggestions to minimize count?

As for the n-gons, lots of people told me they don't matter, just be aware of how to deal with them when the time comes to texture the model. I plan on texturing a few and then just making the rest downloadable content for whoever wants them.

Thanks.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the designs of them but there is a lot of optimizing that could be going on.

For example, in Part 2 A, that edge that runs across the the top of the blade / handle could be removed, halving the number of polygons used. A good way to optimize is to remove polys anywhere that the silhouette won't be affected by doing so, and if an edge or vertex needs to be somewhere to hold a shape, don't let the edge loop round the whole object or something, just terminate it at the nearest possible vert.

As far as the n-gon thing goes, if you're gonna be exporting to a game engine you ALWAYS wanna make sure your mesh is made up of 4 sided polys or triangles. I'm not the best person to explain this but the game engine will triangulate your mesh automatically, and obviously if it runs into ngons, you will get unredictable results.

If you're planning to export to a sculpting package, then 4 sided polys are what you want.

Ngons can be acceptable in offline rendering for static objects, but for games or sculpting you wanna avoid them.

They look cool though, looking forward to seeing them textured.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks. I guess that might mean a couple of redos. I can cut out a lot of edges I see now and merge blade edge verts too.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Top work.
    Just bookmarked this thread as a reference to all you ever wanted to know about swords :)
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Srsly?

I'm considering redoing all the blades to save a ton of geometry. I've got a full plate now but I want to pick this project back up in the future.