Home Technical Talk

Zbrush missing geometry problem

Hey all!

So I've run into a dead-end and my google skills failed me.

I'm modelling this male head on Zbrush and max, and at some point I ran in a small problem. When I try to import my lowpoly mesh with a new UV layout to Zbrush I get a weird bug where some of the polygons are missing, such as the image below:
BUG.jpg

Does anyone have any clue to what might have caused this, and better yet a solution? I've tried deleting the offending polys and resculpting them as well as reset X-form or exporting from Maya... all to no end.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Any warnings about ngons on import? Z sometimes makes a hole when it tries to quadrangulate/triangulate them.

Other obvious stuff I'm sure you've tried, but worth saying :

Flipped normals? Two edged verts? UVs all in positive UV space? If all else fails, mail me the lowpoly and I'll see if I can replicate the problem here on importing to Zbrush. Give me a PM for the email address if you need it.
  • Arhurt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!

Thanks for the help! Indeed I had checked all normals, verts and polys. And there where no errors during import.

I just managed to solve the issue, although I'm not quite sure what happened (you know, I was on beserk stage). I deleted a coulpe faces inside the mouth and exported the model again, just to see if max would recalculate the mesh structure. I also messed with a couple settings on export...

After I'm done with this tonight I'll see if I can replicate the fix and elaborate on the explanation.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: Oh and I realised the faces werent missing in ZB, they where actually flipped.