Home General Discussion

Car or Computer?

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    cost of living differences. I made $8.50 an hour in rural Florida which is the equivalent to about $20 an hour in D.C.
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
    If you do go with a bike, go for a full-on Motorcycle Safety Foundation training course, followed up with an advanced one once you're ready for it. With a good instructor and a proper mindset you'll learn all the core techniques you'll need to establish yourself as a rider.

I haven't been without a bike since I was five.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    $9.00 isnt that great. I mean I assume this a stepping stone job. Its easy to start living beyond your means if you think that's good money.

Anyhow, computer. As someone who has ridden bicycle or public transportation for the past 15+ years. Its very doable. Unless your in a very unfriendly area. Where in Utah? Are you in Salt Lake? From what I remember it seemed that bicycling was very possible in that city.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Well, Seattle is 35% more expensive than Salt Lake City, which I'm assuming has the highest cost of living in Utah.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Taking that percentage number. I can tell you, that still isn't much. Your not going to be able to move easily unless the potential employer is willing to finance. Or take vacations.

Don't forget as well, if he got a car. He would have to get insurance, and since Im assuming he's younger, would cost him even more.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, Seattle is 35% more expensive than Salt Lake City, which I'm assuming has the highest cost of living in Utah.
    Very true. A few billionaires move in, eat up all the lake shore property and suddenly everyone thinks that a studio apt should be $500k and a box of cereal needs to be $20k.

oXYnary wrote: »
    Taking that percentage number. I can tell you, that still isn't much. Your not going to be able to move easily unless the potential employer is willing to finance. Or take vacations.

Don't forget as well, if he got a car. He would have to get insurance, and since Im assuming he's younger, would cost him even more.
    $9 per hr won't get you much if you're living on your own but I don't think that's the case since this is a summer job. Over 3 mo he'll pull in $3-4,000 depending on taxes. Even between taxes and some spending he'll have enough to buy a cheap beater compu-car.