Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Xombie Survivalist/Killer

aeryis
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
aeryis polycounter lvl 10
Another character I've started a few weeks ago. This will be my first "next gen" project and will be the first of 3 other characters I'll be working on. And maybe model some zombies later on. :poly140::poly124: It's also a test to see if I can do the work as a 3D artist. So... she's kind of a test dummy. Right now with all the accessories on her, she's at 9577 tris. She's wearing a t-shirt under that leather jacket by the way. Should I model that separately from the head or should I leave it be and sculpt/normal map/texture it in? Maybe fix her posture? I'm going for a stylistic yet realistic approach to this project. Lemme know what you think so I can make changes before I start UVing and sculpting in Zbrush, which will be my first time. So I'm researching and looking up a lot of tutorials on Zbrush and texturing. If you need close ups or wireframe, lemme know. :D

RE_lauren_wip01.jpg

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    this looks great from what I can see in the render. A larger render of the face would be nice-- also wireframe shots.
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added more edge loops before sculpting. Now onto the UVing. :D

RE_lauren_wip02.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Woow this is very sexy already. I really like the face so far. She is cute :) .. who are you using for reference.. definitely watching this
  • 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    What's with the topology around her stomach? It looks like a belly button, but it doesn't go inwards.
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit: There's no indentation for the bellybutton because she's wearing a t-shirt under the jacket. Details will be in the sculpt.

disanski: Thanks. I'm using one of my friends as reference.

Made the mesh adjustments to get rid of the tris and already started sculpting. Here's her machete. Starting small and simple and working my way up. :D:thumbup:

lauren_wip_knife01.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    consider adding some volume with wrinkles to the ankles of her boots
  • Wayfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mmm.. I think arms are short.
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redid her gun. Low poly version...

Anybody have suggestions on a color scheme for her outfit? :D

lowpoly_beretta.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some texturing with the character. I still need a color scheme. This character is really expressive in what she wears (kind of relating off of the REAL person I'm referencing this character from). Nothing really matches. But I kind of like it that way. After a post-apocalyptic world, where are you gonna find matching clothes and accessories? :D :poly121: The theme for these character designs are "fighting zombies with style." :poly124: Her hair hasn't been textured yet, and there's no backpack in these pics because I haven't done anything with it yet. It's still in it's "UVed checkered" form. The textures are still "clean" but I'll dirty them up later. Lemme know what you think. Thanks a lot! :thumbup:

RE_lauren_wip03.jpg

RE_lauren_wip_upclose01.jpg
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took some time off her and did some texture work on her gun. Almost done I think. :thumbup:

beretta_m9_wip01.jpg
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more updates. Elongated the arms a tad, enlarged her hands and boots some and adjusted her legs straighter so she wouldn't look so pigeon-toed. Changed the color of her jacket as well and reworked (and restyled :D) her hair texture and transparency maps. Still haven't started on dirtying up the textures yet, so everything still looks "clean."

re_wip_lauren_04.jpg

re_wip_lauren_upclose02.jpg

And I think I'm done with the gun. :D The gun part anyway... still have to do the scope. I'm trying to be as exact as I can be without going overboard with down to the detail bolts and screws and crap.

beretta_m9_wip02.jpg

As I've said before, lemme know what you think. Any questions, comments, suggestions, objections....? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :thumbup:
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Bring this into some sort of engine or model viewer (marmoset or UDK could be a good start) I would love to see how this looks realtime, I always dislike renders.

Guns turned out nice.
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie: Thanks. I'd have to figure out the marmoset and UDK programs... I've never worked with them before.

Some more texture work. Tried to put some wear and tear on her outfit.

RE_wip_lauren05.jpg

Doing a little bit of rigging here and there as well...

Lemme know what you think. :D Thanks!
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking cool, and definitely look at it in Marmoset. It's very easy to learn and you won't be going back to renders anytime soon I'd wager :)
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished rigging her a lil while ago and did some poses. Lemme know what you think. Any crits and comments are appreciated. I'm on to the next in this series. Thanks!

wip_lauren_posed05.jpg

wip_lauren_posed04.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    No more renders! Put this in marmoset or udk or crysis or something, pleaseeeee... these renders are killing me :P
  • J-kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J-kid polycounter lvl 12
    You Should Haave Gave Her A Bigger Ass :)
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Black chick got a white chicks ass, that just aint right :D I really love the face, it actually reminds me of this chick i know, but yer i agree with the others chuck it in Marmo etc so we can see it real time, normally looks completely dif and often better!
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey peeps! Thanks for the comments. I'll definitely try out Marmoset. Seems like a pretty easy program to get into. Reading up on it now.

Started the second character for this project.

Low poly with normal map:
    wip_montell01.jpg

Started texturing:
    wip_montell02.jpg

Low poly wireframe:
    wip_montell_wireframe01.jpg

Lemme know what you think! Gimme some critiques please. Thanks! :D
  • Fireflights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fireflights polycounter lvl 8
    The clothing folds aren't really doing it for me - especially with the jeans. It looks like you're not taking into account the additional layers you're adding on - the folds continue uninterrupted right through the bands of the holster. Also, denim is a pretty thick material, and unless you're wearing stretchy tight jeans, you typically don't see that much definition of the knee.

It also seems like you created the folds around his shoulder as his arms are right now...but assuming that this character would hold his arms in a more relaxed position, those folds wouldn't be accurate in the slightest. You'd have folds coming from his armpit.

Also try to keep in mind that different materials will fold differently...some have less give than others. Currently, his shirt, leather jacket, and jeans all seem to have similar folds...so I'd try to make the materials a little more distinct in the high-poly, so it's possible to tell what they are without the textures. :)
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fireflights: Thanks a lot for the critiques. I've definitely taken your advice and did some re-sculpting. But... posting the images right now, I think I want to work on it more. Let me know what else you peeps think. :)

Did some re-sculpting of the folds in the clothes.

wip_montell04.jpg

Also finished his MP5. I'm not going for ultra realistic, fit to scale, and down to the very last detail. Gonna start texturing it soon. :D

High poly:
    smg_MP5_hipoly_wip_01.jpg

Low poly:
    smg_MP5_lowpoly_wip_01.jpg

Low poly wireframe:
    smg_MP5_lowpoly_wip_wireframe01.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    The folds on his clothes looks a bit uniform. I think they need some looovi'n! ;)

Nice gun, maybe add some geo on the front handle?

And duuuuuuuuude! Marmoset dosn't nead no "reading about" just download it, load in you mesh and textures AAAAAAAAAAND?! WIN!
  • aajohnny3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny3d null
    On the leather you should go in Zbrush and add a noise to it. Otherwise I like it.
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny3d: Thanks for the suggestion. :D

More updates! Steady as she goes...

wip_montell_05.jpg

wip_montell_06a.jpg

wip_mp5_03.jpg

wip_nagi01.jpg

Lemme know what you think. Starting to rig now, but still up for making changes in the texture or sculpt work... :D
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good!
    But still no Marmoset? :(
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man your pretty fast! Thats some great stuff.
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes... I know, no marmoset yet. I blame laziness. :poly122:

Still movin along. Haven't finished rigging/finalizing the texture of the male character yet. Started another character. I wanted to get her concept out of the way before I lost the creative flow. Some parts of her aren't even sculpted yet and was just doing some practice skin and hair texturing. Is the sword too much? I still don't know what to do with her hands. Any ideas? Lemme know what you think. Thanks a bunch! :poly108:

wip_RE_feilin01.jpg

wip_RE_feilin02.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Every thing looks real good besides that your texture doesn't have any grime/dirt/wear what so ever.. I like her, she's cute (:
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    Every thing looks real good besides that your texture doesn't have any grime/dirt/wear what so ever.. I like her, she's cute (:

sltrOlsson: Thanks a bunch. Haven't added the grunge and wear and tear to the clothes yet. I'm tryin to put everything together first before adding final touches.:)

More zbrush and more texturing. Almost done. Any critiques and comments are most appreciated. Thanks! :D

wip_RE_feilin03.jpg

wip_RE_feilin04.jpg

wip_RE_feilin05.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Really digging this female character here. Off the bat, her hips and abs look a little flat.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Her face is incredible. Great job
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    You've shown a great deal of improvement from the female character at the start of this thread, to this latest one. I also like the face on this newest one, tho I think the head may be a tad bit large. I look forward to seeing where you take her.
  • aeryis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaburan: Thanks. I've re-sculpted her torso some more. Don't think I'm too happy with this one either.

LRoy: I'm glad you like it. Thanks! :D

ScoobyDoofus: Thanks for your comments. I also thought her head was a bit too large, but I'm thinking it's perspective or something. She is exactly 7 1/2 heads tall. *shrug* I wanted to make her have a somewhat petite frame.

Well, I think this character is done... for now anyway. Finished the specular maps and redesigned the design on her leather chaps. Gonna get back to doing my male character and finish his facial rigging. Lemme know what you think. :D

wip_RE_feilin_turnaround.jpg

wip_RE_feilin06.jpg

wip_RE_feilin07.jpg

Finally, for those of you that have requested it, some Marmoset test renderings. :D Does anybody know how to do transparency maps in Marmoset? Does there have to be an alpha channel on the diffuse map?

wip_RE_feilin_marmoset02.jpg

wip_RE_feilin_marmoset01.jpg

Some more zombie killing weapons in Marmoset. ;) The guns on her thigh holster and a shotgun for another character I have on the waiting list. I'm not really all too happy about the scratch marks on the shotgun. Will rework it later on. The guns on her buttocks are beretta M9s if anyone was wondering.

wip_HK_USP_Match01.jpg

wip_RE_shotgun.jpg
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marmoset, yay

Liking the face on the female, however, one little thing gnaws at me: The pistol holsters on her back; the texture on these seem extremely blurry compared to the rest
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Big improvement from the first female character to this most recent one. You still need to develop the materials more convincingly, both on the characters and on the weapons, but you are definitely making strong progress. The only way to learn is by doing, so keep up the good work.