Home Unreal Engine

Sky / Foliage in UDK

I've posted this in the UDK thread but it seems a little sleepy in there right now and I'm anxious to get moving on this project as I've hit a bit of a roadblock.

I'm pretty new to UDK, and this is the first time I'm attempting a complete 'environment' in it. Previously my experience was pretty much limited to importing meshes and creating basic materials simply for the sake of presentation renders.

My first issue is with creating a sky. I just have no idea how to do it. This is one area that seems to be lacking in the documentation / tutorial vids and even Google doesn't return much help other than dropping in a Skydome.

I'm guessing a Skydome is the most appropriate way to create a sky, but if I wanted to create my own, how would I go about this? IE what kind of mesh / meaterial would I need to create, and also what kind of image would go in the diffuse? I'm guessing some sort of panoramic map but I have no idea.

Secondly, I'm having problems with foliage/ground clutter.

I've got a reasonable looking terrain along with a few terrain materials, but I want to cover it (like really COVER it) with grass, which I intend to do with alpha'd crossed planes, but I have a couple questions about the best way to achieve this.

I've attempted using DecoLayers but this has led to a number of problems. Firstly, I think DecoLayers obviously work on the tesselation of the terrain as they appear to only get placed at vertex points in the terrain mesh. This obviously looks crap since the meshes are being laid out on a 'grid'. Is there another way to scatter grass meshes? I'm sure I read about another method that doesn't calculate collision detection and allows for a better placement of such small meshes.

Is it even possible to literally cover the ground in meshes or will it ultimately need to be kinda sparse?

Thanks!

Replies