Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Forest Lake Cabin Environment WIP

Hey everyone, I'm about to get started on my next portfolio piece.

Following some advice from a few companies I've been in touch with through LinkedIn, one thing my portfolio lacks massively is any kind of organic/natural environment; trees/water/grass etc.

So I've decided to attempt an environment which includes all of those elements.

Not only am I going to 'borrow' heavily from some of the techniques in Adam's thread of awesomeness, I'm taking a similar approach in how I go about creating it, working on sections at a time, getting them looking pretty good, moving on and then fixing anything later.

Progress will indeed be very slow since I've got a fair bit of work on right now, but I'm looking forward to it.

Intended Goal:

Create a natural environment making use of trees, terrain, foliage, water, rocks and assembled/rendered in UDK.

Intended Experience Gains:

I'll be using Maya, since a couple of the companies I might be applying to in the future explicitly state they use Maya. I used to work exclusively in Maya about 2 years ago so it'll be more like a refresher than a whole new learning curve. I've been using Max for all my game art over the last year or so though so some aspects of the workflow will be new to me.

I want to explore texture blending on terrain in UDK and also water, both of which I've never tried out yet.

I'd like to explore Speedtree too, although I may create trees in Maya depending on how that goes.

Explore the effects of lighting on atmosphere. I would like to do a day/night version of the finished piece and try to make each look equally impressive, of course lighting will be a key factor here.

Explore particle effects in UDK to create decent smoke/fire and ideally those sparks/embers that fly around near fire.

I'd also like to use Mudbox projection painting and then texture baking too and see if/how it benefits my workflow.

I've sketched out a rough concept, I pretty much suck at drawing environments and yes I might have taken a pic of my sketchbook using my phone since I haven't got a scanner handy.

I won't list the intended props as you get an idea of what I wanna do in the concept, although please feel free to suggest anything you think would look good in the scene or any considerations you think I should make.

Concept:

photouc.jpg

Some Reference:

RR%202%20Rock%20Shore%20Lake%20View.jpg

kegancabin.jpg
cabin.jpg

Replies

• DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Ah, I have been working on one of these for months now. It's my break from programming :P

Concept looks cool. Are you going to do a darker scene, or something just like your references?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks DarthNater,

I think I'm just gonna stick with the style of the ref, kinda realism really without any dark side to the theme. I considered coming up with a decent storyline behind it but in all honesty... I couldn't. Again, suggestions are welcome :D
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I've been playing around with a rock idea.

This was partly to get an idea of what I wanted the rocks to look like, and partly to figure out a good way of doing them. I'm considering trying a different approach where rather than just sculpt one big 'block' in ZBrush, I might make several (10 or so) smaller rocks and jam them together in Max, then retopo over that and bake so there's better definition in the crevices.

I wanna get this environment right as it is intended to be a decent portfolio piece so if it takes me 6 months to get a single decent rock then so be it.

This is one of the rock sections that will line the shore of the lake, I've sculpted both sides so it can be reused/rotated where necessary.

So if anyones got any suggestions as to how to improve that'd be awesome. I'm kinda using this as a 'base' on which to improve.

rock1b.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Hey im excited for this scene! :D

In regards to the rocks i think they lack any real depth inbetween them.

I think maybe the making smaller rocks idea would work alot better.

Having said that the texture is beautiful :D
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply Dan.

I agree I think the lack of depth is too noticeable, they look too much like a sinlge piece of rock which isn't necessarily a bad thing since some ref I've looked at of shoreline rock is indeed 'one piece' but then it wouldn't have the definition that I've sculpted in. So it's kind of a mismatch as it stands.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like a nice scene.

Your rock piece is not nearly as jagged as the references..but you could just make a couple little rock pieces to break it up and pop out of this shape to give more depth. The piece you have could serve as a good base for that area.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    I think it looks awesome. And I agree with your other idea about making 10 or so rocks together.

If you make 10 different individual rocks then you can make a couple rock formations out of them.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    I know it's a test, but the first image looks kind of more like a blob version of a brick wall than a cluster of rocks. I believe if you go with other's advice of making the rocks more jagged and adding scale variation it could really help. Definitely try doing something more with your silhouette. Aside from that, I like the texture a lot :)
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I would make each rock individually. Don't forget too, you can always rotate and scale them and get a lot of different rocks out of just a few designs. The material definition on that lump rock is great though!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

I'm just not sure how to go about the separate rocks way. Would it be better to do multiple rocks each with a highpoly/lowpoly and their own texture, or make multiple high polys, put them together then retopo over that and texture it as one piece.

Both ways have their benefits. Obviously keeping them separate will then allow me to use them singularly around the scene later, although that will mean a lot of assembling in UDK. Having a single baked/retopo'd piece would be much easier to place and manipulate in UDK, but probably wouldn't look as good.

Of course I could attach the multiple low polys before exporting them but then I've got to plan ahead with the UV space and make sure they're all fitting in the same texture. I suppose if I did it that way then I could have 10 or so rocks all referencing the same texture as separates or combinations which would be efficient and useful.

EDIT: Thinking about it, if I did keep them separate, I wouldn't be able to texture them as nicely where there is moss in crevices since the crevices would be in different places dependent on how the rocks were placed.

Hmm I think I will model multiple high polys, assemble them in Max and retopo a single piece over the top, then keep the separate rocks to retopo individually later to reuse as smaller rock piles or singular rocks.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems like a plan!

To be honest i dont really know how to do such things as rocks and trees etc so ill watch this thread :D

i know about Adams thread but i dont have the time to read through it atm but uni finshes in a couple of weeks so the i can have a read trhough!

but yeah great thinking ob the rocks :D
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys.
    Hmm I think I will model multiple high polys, assemble them in Max and retopo a single piece over the top, then keep the separate rocks to retopo individually later to reuse as smaller rock piles or singular rocks.

This ^

That's how I would do. I like the theme for this piece, will watch this thread for sure.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ParoXum.

I've been thinking about the best way to do this multiple rock thing and I'm having a hard time figuring out a good workflow. I wanna plan it right to maximize effiency later on.

Basically, I want to have multiple rock pieces, both high and low poly which can be used individually, and then a retopo'd version of a bunch of them together.

That in itself is fine, and simple enough to do. However, I want to polypaint the textures in Mudbox, and I ideally wanna use the same texture sheet for all (or maybe 5 on each or something) the individual rock pieces (not the combined one, just the separates).

So I'm thinking it's a complex workflow but the way I've planned is:

Create multiple high poly rocks, basic unwrap on them all. Jam a bunch together and export to Mud for painting, then back into Max, retopo and bake. That's the combined rock piece done.

For the separates, paint each in Mud and export separately, retopo each then get them all into a scene and UV them, making sure they each have unique space but all fit on one sheet. Then export them out separately, bake each one and have them all reference the same texture sheet.

That seems complex, but I cant think of a better way to do it... if anyones got any better ideas I'd appreciate it!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a map I'm curently working on for sometime now, I used to create three big rock cliffs, one straight, one corner, and one 360°, three high poly sculpts and unique assets sharing a single 2048 table.

That was very efficient to create rock cliffs with enough variation and modularity for UE3.

And when I needed it, I created smaller rocks formations from those three assets picking some polys groups in those and creating 10 small rock variations more for the map.

I think now it was a pretty efficient technique texture wise because it minimizes the texture fetches in the scene since all the rocks use the same shader/single texture.

That's my workflow, maybe not the best, but it is for a large scale map where repetition is needed and too much texture space cannot be afforded.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah good ideas ParoXum thanks, the tip about constructing the smaller pieces from the larger pieces is especially good since it means I automatically get them sharing the same texture.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    How's work on this coming along mate? I'm interested in working on an environment piece such as this, and would love to know how you're getting on with it.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for for the reply PogoP.

In all honesty progress is non-existent right now!

I've spent the last day or so playing around with the rocks to come up with the best solution.

It looks like multiple rocks aren't gonna work, at least not how I want them to. My plan was to create about 10 individual rocks, all base meshed, UV'd and then sculpted. Import all of those into Maya (although I tested it in Max) and create a kind of 'rock pile / shoreline' thing. Make sure the UV's are not overlapping, combine all the rocks into one OBJ and then paint in Mudbox. After that, retopo and bake the normals and diffuse.

I'm having a few problems with that workflow though. To get a decent looking rock sculpt, the minimum polycount in ZBrush needs to be like 100k or so. You can get a decent rock 'shape' for much less obviously but I'd like the count to be high enough to use alpha'd cracks, and edge detail etc and this is non-existent dropped below like 100k polys.

I could use decimation master, but then I lose my UV's and UV'ing 10 or so rocks which have been decimated would be a horrible job and one I'm not willing to do before I've explored alternatives at least.
    So this results in a huuuuge poly count inside Max, because each rock is different and even with instancing, that becomes irrelevant once the meshes are combined.

So I'm gonna attempt it another way, build a much closer base mesh initially, one that already has deep crevices and protruding rocks and retains this form when SubD'd. Take it into ZBrush and sculpt it out a little, then send it to Mudbox for painting, and retopo bake as originally planned. This should solve the problem I was originally having where I couldn't get decent rock protrusions from my first basemesh which resulted in the blobby rock I did.

I'll create 3 or 4 using this method and then some smaller individual ones which will be scattered around the scene.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why can't you just place the rocks individually? If you're already going to be using them as a single mesh in your scene, you can just duplicate the mesh and clump them together. It wouldn't be any additional cost because it's already being used.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's definitely a possibility and would be a lot easier initially.

The problem with that method though is that if I want to create something similar to my first ref photo, it's not only gonna take a looooong time to place all those rocks, it would also be difficult to reposition if I made any terrain changes. Whereas with a few large meshes, I could reposition/rescale them as necessary without too much problem.

The other reason is that I want to be able to get the texture definition. Like the moss growing in the cracks and crevices and the highlights on the exposed edges. If I used the singular rocks, the highlights would probably be incorrect in parts and the moss would just be patched around.

I do intend to 'pile' some of the individual rocks a bit though, just not in such a large scale for the shore.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    remember that if you intend to work on UDK for example, you can later on add definition to each different rock model in editor using vertex colors + heightmap.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ContentBlog.html#Advanced%20Mesh%20Placement

That should make placing rocks very easy :P

And ParoXum has the solution for your moss :)

Edit: I can't get it to jump to that post, just go to the top and find the advanced mesh placement link. It's under the September 2009 posts.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks DarthNater, Paroxum.

The mesh placement tool looks like a possible solution and combined with mesh painting I would indeed be able to get the same end result as I'm planning.

Just to clarify though, can you adjust or randomize the scale/rotation (I know they align to the surface) of static meshes when using the tool? I had a look at the documentation but other than explain what it does, there didn't seem to be a lot of info unless I'm missing something.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That I am not sure of. I don't think so though. That will be a good question for the UDK thread though :P As far as scaling goes, I would just place a lot of rocks, then select some at random and scale, then select a different set, scale again, and keep doing that until you have a lot of different sizes. It's going to take awhile, but I don't think there is a quick way to do this :P
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater wrote: »
    It's going to take awhile, but I don't think there is a quick way to do this :P

Yeah :D, to be honest though I've said from the start I want this to look as good as possible so if it means taking a bit longer to get it looking good then so be it.

I'll give it a go!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I've been playing around with the rocks some more.

I tried the mesh placement tool with smaller rocks (just some basic shapes for the sake of trying it out) and I don't think it's gonna work out. It's definitely quick to scatter the rocks and pile them up but it needs too much work to adjust each one afterwards to get a decent scale/rotation varation. Also further adjustment is necessary if I change up the terrain or need to reposition large groups of them.

So I'm going back to the sculpted rock sections, I'd like some crit on this update. It's definitely an improvement on the first attempt, the silhouette is a bit sharper which my original was lacking for sure.

The plan is to create 3 or 4 of these larger pieces and rotate/rescale to give a variation.

I haven't finalized the texture yet so I've included some different stone textures.

rock3b.jpg

rock2v.jpg

rock1b.jpg

rocksilhouettes.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like these!they look alot better than last time!

as far as the texture goes i like the last one, its kind of a mixture of the first two :D

the first one looks a bit too much like clay and the second one looks too washed out.
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    I like the second one though. Dunno but the spec's on the darker versions are a bit too harsh at some places.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I take the second one too.

Yeah it looks better. But to me it still doesn't look like rocks that you find untouched in nature/forests.

The texturing is well done, with good highlights, good grain, the moss in the crevices is well placed I think, but some crevices may be too dark, I'm not sure due to the -maybe- lighting in your presentation.

The problem imho now is how to make those rocks look like they were there for hundreds of years, untouched by men's hands. Here it looks like good man-sculpted ones.

But you're on a good way since your skills are there, now it's just a matter of shapes.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm kinda undecided on the textures, the first one is definitely too dark though.

As you say ParoXum, it's just gonna be a case of nailing the shapes, I see what you mean, they still lack a totally 'natural' look.

I've just tried these in UDK too see how they looked with Lightmass. Fortunately, the crevices get a nice all-over shadowing which a) helps spread the AO a bit, and b)helps sell the 'separate rocks' look.

Well I've got the workflow down to an art now :D so I'll see if I can harden things up further and get a better result.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic, huge improvement on those rocks! The silhouette for objects is very important - as it is the first thing that the brain uses to identify said object.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I would put some more variation in the rock sizes and shapes. The general form is good but you should have some smaller rocks in there to give a sense of scale.
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    I think your first one is the best out of the three. I would pump the highlights, make it less contrasty, and add more moss at the bottom.

rocksv.jpg