Home Technical Talk

Looking for this script/effect...

I know what I want to achieve, I just don't know if it exists and/or what it would be called.

This script/effect takes the colors of an image and a mask (or selection) and "stretches" the colors on the edges of the mask outward, away from the mask. Another way to describe it could be: Each pixel outside the mask will take the color of the nearest pixel inside the mask. This applies only to RGB channels, any alpha channel would be left unchanged.

This effect is very usefull when creating textures with alpha channels. Since games use texture filtering and mipmaps, the colors on the edges of the mask (or alpha channel) may get blurred and you don't want them to blur with some random color you chose for the background, so you want the nearby pixels on the edges of the mask to match exactly with the pixels inside the mask. I know some people use their own techniques for this that are 'acceptable' but I am looking for the pixel-perfect solution as I described here.

Here is an example I made by manually drawing the result:

BEFORE:
beforeb.th.png

I select everything that is NOT white (this becomes the 'mask') and apply the effect described above...

AFTER:
afterl.th.png

Does something like this exist and what should I be looking for? Or do I have to dive into the programming of photoshop plugins to get what I want?

Thanks!

- Pascal

Replies