Home Technical Talk

mudbox texturing

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I was trying to make a texturing with mudbox on a simple rock , and I am having not few difficulties , I was following that tutorial online about texturing of a column , it looks very cool in the video , but its not coming anything even close ....

first problem the texture I am using is like 3000 x 3000 but in the end when I go paint all over the rock , the seams are awesome but the textures is mostly blurred in some spots and not as much detailed as the original , plus adding overlayers of other textures you can't really mix well the different textures to add new features couse they justdont match like instead seems to be like in the video , coming to the bump part the video shows a nicely detailed cracks and stuff that dont even explains how he got there but seems to add a generic surface noice effect by painting in some projected texture but actually not much of a big wow if u take out the cracks and stuff probably made with sculpting , so I am wondering if there is any other more indeep tutorial on how to texture better with the mudbox tools ? This thutorial shows this nice column but is even too fast and doesnt really seems helpfull ....befoure my trial expires I hope to get able to evaluate well this texturing features....

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    hi
    a good way to start is to test some texures in Ps, blending them together and create a texture library in Ps first... not all images are good for projecting... to avoid blurred areas use a sharp brush falloff and dont paint areas facing away from the camera... layered cracks have to be clean... its a lot of work to paint nice stuff... and your object needs really clean uvs...
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I wanted a feature like overlay in PS in the mudbox but seemsis not there so what I did so far is make severall maps seamless and then export them in PS to use the filters there , tough I wanted to generate the normal maps from the texture itself and not much sculpted over , but in that case the seams arent good is a way I can fix this?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    there are blending modes like overlay in mudbox 2011...
    you could use the normalmap as stencil for seam fixing...
    there is a seperate normalmap channel in the new mud version...
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    How t odo that ? I mean How I apply the whole normal map on the texture? It has to match the diffuse map I cant just repaint over...
  • yiannisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yiannisk polycounter lvl 7
    Stencil is the way to go. Use your normal map as a stencil and project paint it over your seam.
    it is pretty much like overlaying in photosop. You can immediately see your result on the low poly model so it is easy to tell if it is fixed or not. Load your normal map as bump and click on normal map display.

Organic naturals can be done very easy and fast.

Plus as mentioned 2011 has all the functionality you might need in mudbox.
    including painting on normals instead of bump and on bump as well.

Photoshop is dead! Give it a try!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Mmm I am not sure how to do it like so that the normal map I am uploading will match then the texture I extracted it from , do u have any sample explanation for it?