Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Summer - Route 98

MaD
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
MaD polycounter lvl 7
Hi,

I'm Currently working on an small environment for my portfolio. As i'm kinda still learning everything, i make a lot of mistakes. So it's always helpful to have have a community to rely on.

Concept:

An abandoned diner/gas station(60's style) located in the desert. Not that original, but quite a challenge for me.

Goals:

- My Main objective is to get familiar with baking normal maps.
- Learn to use UDK
- Finish it!

Props:

- Caravan
- Diner/gas station
- Camping props (chairs, table,..)
- Street signs
- Background rock formations
- rubble and vegetation
-...Time limit:

Not set yet. It 'll probably take while, since I'm working almost full-time.

Replies

• MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Caravan:

High poly

Most of this is just some plain high poly modeling. For the ribbons I used a combination of path deform binding and advanced painter.
    At you script writers out there: wouldn't it be possible to make a script like advanced painter with these features in it:
    - Paint on a straight line between two points (like in photoshop)
    - More control about the spacing. Now it's based on the speed you move your mouse.
    - Ability to choose to put it all in 1 mesh, it would be a lot easier selection wise.
    - Snapping possibilities: could be really handy to just follow edges of the mesh you are painting on.
    - It would be really cool to be able to make some kind of library of bolts/screws/whaterver a bit like photoshop brushes that you can access without the need to have them in your scene.

mistakes i made:

- I often collapse to editable poly, while it comes in more handy to keep your primitives for the low poly. So for example the caravans body. Instead of adding a editable poly modifier after the main form was moddled, i kept on working on it. So I had to delete all unnecessary loops afterwards and reconnect the front and back with the middle part.
    - Need to more organize my scene.
    - Always have to keep in mind, that i'm not modeling for a final high poly asset. So I have to try to keep my edges smooth enough and avoid 90 degree angles.

airstreamfinal.jpg

low Poly

Since I'm still learning about normalmapping, it's kinda hard to know what's enough detail, what needs geo and what not. For example the windows at the front and back where baked on the body, but afterwards i added some detail (a simple box), because it came out a bit too flat in some angle. Instead of rebaking, i just matched those new uv's with the one i already had.

Texturing and normal bake

Normal baking didn't went that smooth. For some reason when i tried to do everything in one bake, max kept giving an unknown error. So after uv'ing, i've split up the model. That came in handy for baking, since i could hide intersecting parts. I did also spend some time making my uv's as straight as possible (where possible and necessary). It a lot easier to edit your normals in photoshop afterward. Especially the smudging tool can do miracle in photoshop for cleaning up your normals :).

After baking i used mudbox to add a bit more detail, mainly dents onto my low poly model. I Know that normally you work the other way around, but i think its a fast and very interactive way of workin. Only problem i've ran into are weird lines, but you can smooth them out. If anyone knows how to solve this, would love to know how to fix it.
    problemvq.jpg
    For texturing i did also render out a couple of AO's, even one of the low poly for guidance while texturing (seeing where lights are on the body and so on..). For getting a good selection of the windows and other stuff that's kinda hard to select in photoshop itself, i rendered out a diffuse black and white map, where i set the white to 100 percent self illuminating. Gives you a good alpha map. Might be others ways to do this and i'd be interested to hear those.

airstreamfinallowpoly.jpg
    airstreamfinalwires.jpgairstreamtextures.jpg
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    This turned out really nice. Liking the idea for the scene as well. Going to keep an eye on this one for sure.
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Hi there folks,

A small update:

Started blocking out the diner. Looking for an interesting silhouette and i'm kinda happy with this one.
    blockingout.jpg

I also refined this camping chair a bit, with the things i learned while working on the caravan.
    campingchiarfinallowpol.jpg
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great! Did you use any special brush settings to get that metal looking slightly dented? Everytime I try to do that, it comes out looking blobby...

I like the chair btw, nice material definition.
  • Drumonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far man, I like that you're explaining what you're doing as you go along.

Look forward to watching this one grow! :)
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Yes, that is going to be sweet. Followed your caravan, liking it! Keep on!
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    @DarthNater

tutoriala.jpg

Forgot to add: The little lines you see in the sharp version where painted out with the healing spot brush.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I approve this thread.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, thanks for the mini tut :P That makes sense, I wasn't blurring my results (which makes it less noticable).
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    I am excited for this!

epic work so far im loving the caravan!
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    very nice stuff dude :D
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW are you aiming for game specs?
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice work! I like your approach to the dents using mudbox, its very efficient.

Since you generated the dents separately, have you thought about converting it in Crazybump too further refine the depth through Ambient Occlusion?
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    I'm trying to aim for that, but I'll faster use a bit more tri's and or texture space. Someone told me that it's better to do this for portfolio pieces. I know the campingchair has a bit of a high tricount, but i can easily cut out a lot of loops. Texture size is at the moment double of what it is supposed to be. Anyway we 'll see where i end up, kinda annoying i have to work a lot this week.

@kaburan:

That's a nice idea, i ll check it out when i'm refining the texture.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh ok cool i havent made aportfolio yet so i apologise!

But yeah epic work so far, if you were to make it game ready you could use an alpha for the seat and bacl of the chair., but its just a suggestion!
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Small update:

Blocked out the scene a bit, just to get a sense of where i'm going at.
    blockoutscene.jpg

I also started working on the high poly for the diner. Nothing special, just trying to reuse elements as much as possible.

dinerwip.jpg
  • Megabiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty good so far, keep up the good work. Oh and im not trying to hijack your thread or anything, but how similar is Mud box to Zbrush? I've used Zbrush a bit and still find it a bit overwhelming and difficult to get similar results to others (such as those on this very forum). Is mud box a bit more friendly towards newer users?
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Never worked with zbrush... so i can't really answer that question, but I'm sure there's a Zbrush vs Mudbox tread somewhere on the net :)
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Kinda finished the high poly. I know it looks very clean now, thought it would be better to do some destruction after baking the normals...
    I will also add arco's, electrical wiring and boxes, antenna's and satellite dish, but those will be separate props

Got a couple of questions though:
    - How many tri's can i spend on this and what kind of texture size should i aim for?
    - Is it better to go for modular pieces en put it together in udk or should i import it as one single mesh.

dinerwip1.jpgdinerwip2.jpg
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude this looks awesome. Nice theme, and that Airstream looks sooo good!

I'm guessing you're gonna go with red rocks / deep blue skies for the background, because that will make for a pretty phenomenal looking scene I think.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good! As far as your questions:

- Tri Count. Do enough to make it look good. It's hard to tell, especially if you're going to work modular.

- I would work modular if it was me, but others may tell you differently. I find it easier to make changes and add/remove things when I have modular bits. I think it's easier to bake too (and you can get more out of your textures).
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Did the low poly today. Now at 4854 tri's. Kinda made it modular as much as possible. While uv/texturing i'm aiming the use the same texturespace for some modular pieces aswell.

One question though. Should I bevel all those sharp edges or is this just fine?

wirek.jpg
    modular.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD, You can either accomplish smoother edges via baking a high poly with rounded corners or bevel. Since they are rooftops, it may be wise choice to just bake in smooth edges. For increased detail on corners such as stairs, lower trims, etc You could use a combination of both, it's quite effective.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    one thing to watch out for when Overlaying normal maps on top of eachother, is that your Blue channel will lose its darks & "depth" information, causing your normal maps to have a little less pop that desired.

To combat this, you can go into the blue channel of the layer you want to overlay, adjust its levels, and adjust teh whites to be 127, so when you do overlay, you only get darks.

This isn't the most accurate way to composite normal maps together, but it works in the simplest way. You can also composite them together using Crazy Bump, which imo is the safer bet.

stuff is lookin coo though! just be careful not to nuke your normals!
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    yeah will only bake for example one flat side and one rounded side.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Very nice thread, keep it going!
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking very good, I love the style very much. This is gonna be an awesome piece, and I can't wait to see more.
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Started texturing and it's being fun, but a pain in the ass at the same time. Anyway looking for some good ways to create good looking no transparent windows.
    dinerwiptextures.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    looking good. question, what are u gonna end up doing for the windows?
  • Chclve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice stuff. Love the Chair :D
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Perhaps have blinds on the windows, thereby having the effect of something on the inside, but not too far in that it looks wierd.

Pine-Forest:-50s-Diner_09.jpg

diner-shot.jpg

^Above image, first window on the left has blinds half way down.

Or have curtains like:

Chef_Ed_diner_am3.jpg
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah i was thinking about blinds too, but up till now everything was handpainted and i tried to draw some blinds, but that didn't work out that well (1 min effort style). I was playing with some transparancy, and maybe i should just put some really basic stuff into the diner and make a combination of blinds and a bit of silhouette. But it 'll all work out at the end or something like that. Haven't created anything i'm really satisfied with :).
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    With windows you can get away with doing a sort of "DoF'-like blurring, helps hide a lack of details.
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Been away for a week, so just a small update. Tried a couple of things for the windows, but still not satisfied with the results. And is it just me or is imageshack going pretty slow lately.
    dinerwiptextures.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I use tinypic mostly, but the dinner is looking really nice, I'm definitely going to follow this. Looking a bit like fallout 3 right now.
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Kinda finished it. The big sidebuilding will be done with vertexpaint inside udk, but at the moment I'm still searching for a way to get a similar result in udk. I ll also ad a AO map inside udk or isn't that necessary anymore with lightmass?

dinerwiptextures1.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you can achieve great results from using lightmass without an added AO to increase texture memory. This is looking fantastic btw!
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the encouragement :). Been trying udk out and i'm getting a bit closer to where i want it to be, but it seems like it just works totally different. Especially the speculars are not the same as what i can achieve with Xoliul's viewportshader (using the same specmap) and the normals look a lot blurrier. Anyway i ll keep playing with it, but got to move on with my props too.

signhp.jpg
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    good model, but I'm kinda puzzled with what could hit that sign so hard, but still left the sign itself intact. :poly117:
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'd think it rusted really hard where it broke. But you'd see damage from the heavy sign smashing into the ground.
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Thought it just bended by decay and some (or a lot off) wind. I think some of those signs are just asking to be blown over.
    2008_01_phills%20diner%20flickr-thumb.jpg

pd875087.jpg
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    I love the texture work and style for this! It's got that gritty old fashioned look, very Bioshock! Awesome!
  • Godemper0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very impressive! I'm absolutely loving the hard surface stuff, the attention to detail and more importantly the cleanliness of the modeling is amazing. Just waiting for more!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    the supports look silly to me, and the bend makes the metal look too elastic, make it look like someone ran into and knocked it over. The sign looks great though.
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    You mean like this :) (pole 1 - car 0). No I'm lookin for some reference, but can't find the right English search words.ferrari-pole-crash.jpg
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Made the lowpoly last night and started baking, but stumbled upon a problem.
    As you can see in the image, i cant get the smoothing right with my smoothing groups and it keeps showing up in my normalmaps too. Now it's just 1 smoothing group. First of the bevel is just because i wanted to test this out and even if i don't bevel it, the mesh keeps having the same smoothing problems on that flat face. So what can i do to fix this.

I tried to:
    -add loops for better smoothing-> weird smoothing on the edges with normalmap and when i delete the extra loop, the smoothing errors are back.
    -Photoshop, erasing the lines. Just didn't work.
    -edit the traingulation-> couldn't find a error free way.

So my question is: Can this be solved?
    (and i noticed that there are 2 verts that should be weld together, but that because i went back to an older save after messing around. That doesn't solve the problem.
    vpgrabsign03perspuser0f.jpg
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry, I don't know how to fix your problem apart from changing the topology around.

However, I'm just wondering: you spoke about re-using texture space, could you elaborate a little on this? What texture space did you re-use? Didn't that cause a problem with your AO/normal map baking?
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Here's my diffuse (still some stuff to refine/add, want to have a bit of environment first). Nothing has unique uv's exept of the clock and the frontside of the big thing on the top. I was first thinking of making a separate map for those tilleble pieces, but changed my mind and just did it like this. For making things a bit tillable you can use different techniques. Sometimes just making it look like there's a break in the material, for example a new piece of metal plating (rim's of the diner). But for the rough white wall at the bottom of the diner i made a selection of that uv space and turned that into a smart object. Since offset of a selection wouldn't work right (takes the whole image resolution into account), this seemed to be the easiest way to make that tillable.

For the normals i did bake it out in 4 or 5 separate pieces and put everything together in photoshop. You can easily fix normal seams in photoshop most of the times. Certainly for an object like this. It's also good to make sure when baking to not only include in your projection modifier the high poly of the the tile you are baking, but also add the tiles at both sides if it.

As for the AO's. I did bake different AO's of separate pieces. Just using what you like in photoshop.I also added a new uv set where everything is unique ( exactly like what you would do when preparing a mesh for lightmass) for a total AO bake. I think i heard you can store that in the blue channel of your normalsmap, dunno, but it can be stored somewhere:).

Hopefully this a bit of an answer, bit tired over here :)dinerdiffuse.jpg
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great stuff. definitely looking cool. lookin forward to more updates.

btw, small detail, but the blinds on the corner window look weird. dont think thats possible...unless i've somehow never managed to see it like that in r/l
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    My only crit is that I wish this was already done so I wouldn't have to wait for updates!

I want to see more! Great stuff so far, dude!