Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modeling Stone lantern

HTLu
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
HTLu polycounter lvl 9
Hi! I want to model this prop, but I have no idea on how to model out the base. Can anyone help me with this piece?s3pppl.jpg

Replies

• Amarth93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    start with the four legs and model it until you got a fine base mesh and import to mudbox/zbrush and sculpt it there for best result
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, some time ago I made a fairly low poly model using exactly that reference for the Source engine. I recorded the process and put it up on YouTube.

It's not great at all, now that I look at it, but maybe you'll get an idea of an approach.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kauO7nZI9us[/ame]

actually it's pretty terrible D:

EDIT: I should mention it wouldn't work for a hipoly base I think.
  • Seere
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could build up one side as a plane, then copy and rotate around til you have all 4 sides. Then weld the verts as one object, and extrude edges inwards for your "feet" their.

OR

Build a box, put 2 edge loops evenly spaced then delete the middle face. Extrude edges for "feet" then mold the rest.
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    awww yeah good times baby.

Also when you model it pay more attention to the reference than vcool :P
  • HTLu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HTLu polycounter lvl 9
    Amarth93 wrote: »
    start with the four legs and model it until you got a fine base mesh and import to mudbox/zbrush and sculpt it there for best result

Ahh Thank you. =)
  • HTLu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HTLu polycounter lvl 9
    vcool wrote: »
    Haha, some time ago I made a fairly low poly model using exactly that reference for the Source engine. I recorded the process and put it up on YouTube.

It's not great at all, now that I look at it, but maybe you'll get an idea of an approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kauO7nZI9us

actually it's pretty terrible D:

EDIT: I should mention it wouldn't work for a hipoly base I think.

Thanks for the video, I will really help me through the process, though I'm going to try ot model a high poly, but I think this will give me somewhat of an idea on what to do because I've been tryin and tryin with the base/legs but it just doesn't want to bend to the way I want without being too complicated.