Home Technical Talk

(Help?) Conversion from .MAX to .MD2 file format?

Hi, I'm really new to this place, I was searching for help on how to convert a MAX file to a .MD2 file format for 3D models that I have downloaded from The3dStudio.com.

See, I was working on a program that needs to be programmed in C++ with using ARToolKit libraries. My project is a mixed reality-related project, so I read that ARToolKit uses .MD2 files to render the virtual objects in polygons. Thing is that now I got some sample files in .MAX format, I like to know how to convert .MAX files to .MD2 files so that it can be used with ARToolKit. However, I did read some posts in other forums citing that file conversion to different formats especially to .MD2 format is difficult.

Is there anyone who can assist or explain on going about this issue? Any feedback and helpful input would help, thanks.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To convert a .Max file into any other format, you need 3ds Max installed. The way the format is parsed means Max files won't open without Max.

You could d/l the demo from Autodesk, it's fully functional for 30 days. I haven't used MD2 in ages, but "md2 exporter 3ds max" returns a list of possibilities. I usually check maxplugins.de, a Max plugin repository, but none of the ones on there seem to work with the latest version of Max (plugins typically only work with a single Max version). The ones on Google might work tho.